Sponsored by:

Does anyone actually drive their GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Does anyone actually drive their GT?

Originally posted by labcars
Tim, I'm in Philly and drive mine every chance I get. It is no worse than most ferraris or other exotics in this department and beats everything else thrills!

are you rich?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Does anyone actually drive their GT?

Originally posted by Campeck
are you rich?
no man, he stole the car. what kind of question is that? Ashton, not everyone steals cars...
~Eyal
Old 05-24-2004, 06:35 PM
bwell
Intermediate

There is an interesting thread on the Pelican site about someone who drove their CGT on a dirt road.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=164503
Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pages: 1
Larry B

Reged: Dec 15 2002
Loc: Sonoma, California Carrera GT-Two Weeks-1200 Miles
#34232 - Tue May 25 2004 06:41 AM Edit Reply Quote

First off, thanks to everyone who sent their congratulations on my having taken delivery of the Carrera GT. It was so great to be able to share my excitement with other enthusiasts. As you can imagine, a very special event in my life. Knowing I have a track day coming on the 2nd of June, and wanting to have as many miles as possible before the 2nd, my goal being at least 1500 miles, I have been using the CGT as much as possible. 1200 miles so far. A few observations in the first two weeks of ownership. The clutch is difficult. If I can make it through a days driving without stalling the car once, I feel I have really accomplished something and feel very proud of myself. Breaking the habit, decades old, of giving fuel and releasing the clutch, does not come easy. I am pleased my Murcielago has e-gear so I do not have to adapt to two different manual transmissions. Each time I use the CGT I am getting better at launching the car. Once that is behind me, driving the car is pure heaven. So easy to drive, visibility is very good, surprisingly so, and the car handles like it is on rails. Shifting is as easy as in any Porsche, the ride is better than my GT 3. The brakes are phenominal. The ability to take off the tops is a real winner. The car is so solid and well finished. OK, is there anything that isn't great about the car? Well, I scrape the front spoiler often. It is difficult to go into any parking area or gas station, without scraping. I have a couple of new spoilers on order from the dealer so they will be in stock when I want them. Little scrapes, I just rub black paint on them and overall the spoiler looks acceptable. I just want to be prepared for the day I rip the entire spolier off. I know it is going to happen. My major complaint is a rattle like noise, which I think is in the engine (the dealer says it is transmission noise), at between 1900 and 2100 RPM's. The noise is in any gear, at any speed when the engine is in that RPM range. Nothing to do about it now except get through that RPM range as quickly as possible!!! I was very careful not to exceed the 4200 RPM recommendation for the first 1,000 miles. I was on a Porsche Club Rally this past weekend and when I would pass other cars on the rally, which they wanted me to do so they could hear the engine, they said the engine sound is fantastic. I sounds great to me as well. Overall, I couldn't be happier. I think that does it for now. If anyone knows anything about the 1900-2100 RPM issue, please let me know. Larry
Old 05-25-2004, 08:41 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Larry,

I don't have a clue about the RPM issue, but I live in SD and would give my right arm for a ride in your CGT!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry -

Great write up. Do you own a digital camera? Do you know some one who does?

P o s t S o m e P i c t u r e s ! !

1 photo = 1K words.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 12:45 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey, i'm not larry. as you can see from the post, i merely copied his post over from another site to answer the question "does anyone actually drive their GT?"

that said mac, i'm in SD and will have one to give you a ride in nov. however, if you wait a little longer than that, it'll be much more fun cause it'll be broken in.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:04 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry Ben. I guess it should be obvious buy your screen name. It's been one of those days....

Thanks a million for the offer, I would love to take you up on it. BTW good lookin 996.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

There was several pictures of the CGT in the write up on Pelican somewhere and someone else also recently posted pictures of a CGT delivery over there. It is a bit strange that some would share with the public so openly about their cars, but not take photos. I am sure most are on the up and up here, but some of these list are probably only topped by the likes of Jerry Seinfield. It would be an amazing treat to see a group shot of some of these collections.

Quick Reply: Does anyone actually drive their GT?