Sponsored by:

Recall campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:17 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DougDeMuro
I'm sorry that in the U.K. your insurers inexplicably have so much power that they can entirely keep you from driving your cars. As stated in the video, there are literally millions of cars in the U.S. under a "Stop Drive" order right now, and if insurers cancelled policies on all of them, it would be complete pandemonium. I've followed your many posts complaining on RennList about this topic, and I understand you're upset. I would be, too. America's many individual freedoms sometimes create negative consequences, but in this case the U.K.'s perpetual nanny-statehood is the real failure point -- far more than the car's suspension joints.

As for the "danger" of driving the car, why do you think this is any greater than 18 months ago when we had no idea this was even an issue at all? Porsche's own communications reveal they haven't yet had a single incident or accident attributed to this issue, and my suspension joints have been inspected (twice!) by the finest in the business with no corrosion shown. The concept that everything was totally fine before the recall, suddenly we discover the recall and now it's "akin to an aircraft grounding" and driving the car is "foolhardy and reckless" is almost as dramatic as your insurers' attitude toward the problem.

I hope you get back on the road soon. I honestly and truly admire how often you drive your car. I've driven mine 2,500 miles in the last year, and I have no doubt that's far greater than whichever idiot above accused me of trying to flip the car for a profit.
Hi Doug, it's all down to risk. The risk of one or more accidents caused by a failure of one or more of the spherical joints. The risk assessors at Weissach calculated the cost of replacement parts vs. costs of potential litigation and payout 'if' the worst happened and decided to replace all the parts. You are correct, there has not been one single accident attributable to the crack's that have been observed in two CGT's wishbone mountings, despite numerous vehicles being inspected 'in service' since the failure was first identified. PAG did some evaluation of a CGT with a simulated failure, and at that point decided that the potential risk of a handling abnormality was too great, and the recall was issued. Initially an inspection programme was planned and if the spherical joints were deemed ok, the cars could continue to be driven. However PAG then decided that the only location the joints could be properly inspected (with some significant dismantling of the suspension to fully inspect the joints) was at Weissach. Clearly not practical for 1200 odd cars.

When I mentioned the stop drive was akin to an aircraft grounding, I was quoting Neil Barlow who is Head of the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) who says ' “The ‘top level’ of recall is known as a Stop Drive Recall,” Neil explained. “This is where affected vehicles should not be driven; these are very rare, and are akin to aircraft being grounded.”

In the UK our hands were forced as our insurers pulled cover (the same in the EU). However, based on the detailed discussions with PCGB and PAG and underwriters I've had, even if there was not a removal of insurance I would not feel comfortable with the risk (however small) in driving my car with a known potential fault. And I drive it fairly enthusiastically.

You are also correct that the issue pre-dated the recall, but the saliant point is when we were all made aware of the issue, that risk was then one we became aware of. Before we were blissfully enjoying our cars unhindered.

However finite the risk, it's not just our CGT's or ourselves we are potentially putting in harms way, it's other road users and pedestrians. Based on the evidence, I would not feel comfortable with taking that risk if I was insured, I've missed not using my CGT more than if I didn't see my wife for a year.

Of course we are all big boys and are more than able to make our own decisions, mine is that driving the CGT with the facts that I've been presented with is not one I'm comfortable with.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS Clubsport:
911Vintage (03-28-2024), raclaims (04-03-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:23 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Anyone else think it is cool that Doug Demuro is talking to us? lol (Ps thanks Doug for chiming in!)
The following users liked this post:
smokeygt (03-30-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:40 AM
DougDeMuro
3rd Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Hi Doug, it's all down to risk. The risk of one or more accidents caused by a failure of one or more of the spherical joints. The risk assessors at Weissach calculated the cost of replacement parts vs. costs of potential litigation and payout 'if' the worst happened and decided to replace all the parts. You are correct, there has not been one single accident attributable to the crack's that have been observed in two CGT's wishbone mountings, despite numerous vehicles being inspected 'in service' since the failure was first identified. PAG did some evaluation of a CGT with a simulated failure, and at that point decided that the potential risk of a handling abnormality was too great, and the recall was issued. Initially an inspection programme was planned and if the spherical joints were deemed ok, the cars could continue to be driven. However PAG then decided that the only location the joints could be properly inspected (with some significant dismantling of the suspension to fully inspect the joints) was at Weissach. Clearly not practical for 1200 odd cars.

When I mentioned the stop drive was akin to an aircraft grounding, I was quoting Neil Barlow who is Head of the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) who says ' “The ‘top level’ of recall is known as a Stop Drive Recall,” Neil explained. “This is where affected vehicles should not be driven; these are very rare, and are akin to aircraft being grounded.”

In the UK our hands were forced as our insurers pulled cover (the same in the EU). However, based on the detailed discussions with PCGB and PAG and underwriters I've had, even if there was not a removal of insurance I would not feel comfortable with the risk (however small) in driving my car with a known potential fault. And I drive it fairly enthusiastically.

You are also correct that the issue pre-dated the recall, but the saliant point is when we were all made aware of the issue, that risk was then one we became aware of. Before we were blissfully enjoying our cars unhindered.

However finite the risk, it's not just our CGT's or ourselves we are potentially putting in harms way, it's other road users and pedestrians. Based on the evidence, I would not feel comfortable with taking that risk if I was insured, I've missed not using my CGT more than if I didn't see my wife for a year.

Of course we are all big boys and are more than able to make our own decisions, mine is that driving the CGT with the facts that I've been presented with is not one I'm comfortable with.
Imagine what other risks lurk under the surface that we have not yet been informed of by a giant, global auto manufacturer desperate to avoid their own liability and a giant, global insurer desperate to avoid a large payout. One wonders if we should ever drive the cars at all. Or any cars, for that matter.
The following 2 users liked this post by DougDeMuro:
ByeEnzo (03-28-2024), Scrappy1972 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:56 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DougDeMuro
Imagine what other risks lurk under the surface that we have not yet been informed of by a giant, global auto manufacturer desperate to avoid their own liability and a giant, global insurer desperate to avoid a large payout. One wonders if we should ever drive the cars at all. Or any cars, for that matter.
Those unknown risks, like the CGT spherical joints used to be. But in seriousness, all our lives are one long risk to varying degrees.

One thing we will agree on, is the specialness of the CGT, you've realised that and captured it very well in your videos on the car. Enjoy many years and miles of superlative motoring in her.

As soon as I can get my little sticky fingers back behind the wheel, I'm heading off to the Dolomites to re-kindle the love affair.

The following 3 users liked this post by RS Clubsport:
911Vintage (03-29-2024), ByeEnzo (03-28-2024), CRex (05-01-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:53 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 520 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo
Turns out my dealership uses some type of call center to notify clients. Their staff started calling CGT owners despite no parts availability. I called the GM and clarified things. Back to waiting till Q3 or Q4. Bunch of dummies.
I'm not surprised.

Quick Reply: Recall campaign