Sponsored by:

CGT IGNITION / STARTING problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 09:03 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 24 Posts
Default CGT IGNITION / STARTING problems

My CGT (one of two I've had since new) is having problems starting. Long story - The problem started when the battery tender wasn't on it and it went dead (I've had a dead battery in the past but it never affected starting her up until now).
-- It will crank strong but not turn over. It happens INTERMITTENTLY - AND it throws a immobilizer fault. SOOO the dealer replaced the Immobilizer unit and the two key heads ($3,000)..-- tested it and it started, drove it to my place and -- WOULDN'T start -- cranks strong but no ignition. SOOO, the dealer too her back and CONSULTED WITH PNA re the issue - started it 50 times over 5 days - .... Drove it over to me. Started. Drove it 30 minutes, parked, started, drove another 30, stopped for 5 minutes and IT WOULDNT start. Same fault - Immobilizer. Cleared it and it started.

My friends Betim and CJ Wilson said it needs a handshake (i.e., clear BOTH ECUs and start over). but the dealer was hesitant because they didnt want to damage the ECUs. BUT Imma gonna do that.

BUT - anyone have this issue -- Whats strange it that its INTERMITTENT - happens it seems after I drive her. Battery is 100 percent. New Immobilizer unit and two keys - reprogrammed twice .

Ive never had this issue with any of my CGTs (I've had three).

HELP and THANKS!!

Last edited by DontLift; 09-03-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

I was gogn to say replace the starter, but your CODE shows immobilizer.... I am lost. but will follow the thread.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:02 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there some little battery in these like computers have a cmos battery?
Old 09-05-2022, 05:14 PM
bp95gsx
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

OP said it cranks. So not the starter. I feel for you bud. I don't even know where to start on that one... I was an exotic car tech for 15 years.... Jimmy?
The following users liked this post:
DontLift (09-06-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 11:36 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Update - Porsche believes they found me "real" culprit behind the mystery intermittent no start and it all centers around the ignition key. The communication hardware between the keys and the ignition key which they call an emitter is intermittent failing that code finally appeared and permanently could not be erased. So not the immobilizer unit or the key pellets ... BUT it's the "entire communication system between keys and ignition" -- so another part which also requires two new keys as well .Parts have been ordered estimated 8 to 12 days - stay tuned..
raclaims (09-17-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 11:22 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Issue solved and Big thanks to a few folks - First to Taormina Imports, especially Greg (and Ted and Jared too). Their unrelenting pursuit is why I trust them with everything from my 57 Speedster to CGT to 918 to GT4 to .. always raising the bar!!

And to Rector Porsche for their patience and professionalism. They worked with Porsche NA to figure it out - it was the emitter buried in the dash - they even credited me for the prior work and parts that were determined to not be the problem.

Again, many thanks!!
smokeygt (10-27-2022)

Quick Reply: CGT IGNITION / STARTING problems