Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread brings me joy!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:13 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I love that something like singer exists

that said when I wanted to do a build and was talking to singer I was turned off by many of the things others have said abt totally vague wait times etc

I know a few guys who own them and all say the same thing. It’s a great car but hard to justify the cost

I still think they are really cool and glad they exist but a build isn’t for me

maybe I’ll buy a used one some day when prices come down
Old 04-04-2020, 03:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I’m worn out by all the videos of people putting Singer on a pedestal, acting in awe of it and not giving any critical feedback. And it’s equally uninteresting nor helpful to have a discussion about “value” and whether Singer is worth the money. I wanted to apply a critical owner’s eye to the car and point out flaws I’ve noticed in using as a near DD. Forget the money, forget the reviews, what’s it really like to own/drive the car? That perspective isn’t something I’ve seen anywhere on the net. That’s what I’m trying to do and probably comes across as negative in a sea of glowing reviews.

I bought Atlanta for two reasons. YOLO - the last few weeks have made me very glad about that decision! And also to learn what I could to enhance my build. So picking this one apart is just part of the process of making “Nashville” better.

I’ve never driven a road car that is even close to as thrilling as the Singer at normal speeds. Driving the 993 and the Singer back to back is night/day. Owning Atlanta has made me want my build even more because I’ll get all the things I like in this car but the chance to improve the areas that aren’t exactly to my taste. I feel really lucky to be able to have this experience this way and, barring apocalypse, I’m committed to the path because the end product is definitely worth it to me.

I love the question and I’m happy to answer any others. I enjoy sharing the experience.
great review
real miles
actual use

Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 PM
pawlie
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for the great review, I'm nowhere close to being able to afford a Singer, but I'm certainly glad that you have one you can enjoy. It's a beautiful car, nice to see it get used!

Best
The following users liked this post:
tstafford (04-17-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:58 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

@tstafford Thanks for the review and congrats on aquiring such a beautiful 911. I'm in the midst of putting in a new 3.6 964 engin w/ 993 bits into my 74'j and wanted to consider a singer esq set up. Can you comment on what ECU set up you have? ITBs? (Assuming MOTEC ECU) How is cold start and getting it going from a dead stop? Does it fire up right away? Do you need to give it a lot of throttle to keep it going?
Old 06-18-2020, 07:15 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Motor is an Ed Pink 4.0L. There's a fair amount of info on the web (inc. on Singer's site) about them. Fuel injected, ITB. As to using it - it starts up on the first key turn every time as long as the battery is strong. It then runs perfectly - no need to give it gas, doesn't ever stall, etc. It's grown on me - has a lot of useful power just not a ludicrous total amount of power.

I continue to be impressed by the Singer. It provides an amazing sports car experience but is compliant enough to use regularly w/o the hypercar worries. It's basically just a really, really tricked out, reliable 911. And therefore it has the utility that all 911s embody. I love that because I get my enjoyment from using it, bonding with it, etc. If I couldn't drive it nearly every day, I wouldn't be able to justify having that much $$$ tied up in it.
The following users liked this post:
Garydose (06-21-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Motor is an Ed Pink 4.0L. There's a fair amount of info on the web (inc. on Singer's site) about them. Fuel injected, ITB. As to using it - it starts up on the first key turn every time as long as the battery is strong. It then runs perfectly - no need to give it gas, doesn't ever stall, etc. It's grown on me - has a lot of useful power just not a ludicrous total amount of power.

I continue to be impressed by the Singer. It provides an amazing sports car experience but is compliant enough to use regularly w/o the hypercar worries. It's basically just a really, really tricked out, reliable 911. And therefore it has the utility that all 911s embody. I love that because I get my enjoyment from using it, bonding with it, etc. If I couldn't drive it nearly every day, I wouldn't be able to justify having that much $$$ tied up in it.
I checked out the Ed Pink site and watched the promo video. Thank you for the direction. Looks like a top notch outfit. My biggest question is what air and throttle system to hook up to my 964 3.6. Right now I have some initial conversations going with Jerry Woods in Campbell, CA (SF - Bay Area) and Marc Zurlinden in Monterey. They all recommended ITBs w a Plenum and Motec for the best combo of street and performance driving. The PMOs / trumpets I had on the previous engine couldn't really regulate the air flow for street driving so cold start and getting the car moving were challenging. Great for track at WOT. Not so good for street. Enjoy the Singer and thanks again for the review
Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

OT on OT thread

"The PMOs / trumpets I had on the previous engine couldn't really regulate the air flow for street driving so cold start and getting the car moving were challenging."
===> that's not the. issue of the parts, the builder didnt get it right. I have several Carb cars. fire up first try and just goes.
but driven others that have issue like you stated

rich at JWE is great.
​​​​​​​he will set u up with MoTeC and get it running right
Old 06-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 541 Posts

How often do the carbs need to be fiddled with once running right? Is it somewhat of a set-it-and -forget-it or a somewhat recurring tune-up item?
Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
How often do the carbs need to be fiddled with once running right? Is it somewhat of a set-it-and -forget-it or a somewhat recurring tune-up item?
Is this question directed toward me re: Singer? Because the Singer is fuel injected and needs no "fiddling".
Old 06-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Is this question directed toward me re: Singer? Because the Singer is fuel injected and needs no "fiddling".
Directed at Mootys post above; so, OT.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:58 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
on my two good long hoods? once set, never again

but if money no object, MoTec coil on plug like singer would be most ideal.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:33 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Good to know.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:53 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I love that something like singer exists

that said when I wanted to do a build and was talking to singer I was turned off by many of the things others have said abt totally vague wait times etc

I know a few guys who own them and all say the same thing. It’s a great car but hard to justify the cost

I still think they are really cool and glad they exist but a build isn’t for me

maybe I’ll buy a used one some day when prices come down
Agree. The guys who have the patience / checkbook are doing some heavy lifting to get the car of their dreams.

Crystal ball is hazy - do they drop? We all know the stories of resto / restorations and value after a few miles but Singer seems to rise above.

Guys building these are at a level i can not relate to - great for those owners and Singer!

Last edited by nuvolari612; 06-23-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
OT on OT thread

"The PMOs / trumpets I had on the previous engine couldn't really regulate the air flow for street driving so cold start and getting the car moving were challenging."
===> that's not the. issue of the parts, the builder didnt get it right. I have several Carb cars. fire up first try and just goes.
but driven others that have issue like you stated

rich at JWE is great.
​​​​​​​he will set u up with MoTeC and get it running right
Thanks Mooty. Always appreciate the perspective! As of now I'm converting to 964 plenum w Motec but based on your comments may stick w PMO ITBs if we can make it work w just the Motec upgrade. Hmmm. My main concern is cold start and street-able driving and I'm not sure how dialed we can get it even w a Motec ECU. The crap MegaSquirt has never been able to work well w the PMO / Trumpet setup so being at the end of my patience I was moving towards selling the whole system. PMOs / wiring harness / ECU etc.

I'm living through one of those 'car lessons' and my wallet and I are not enjoying the schooling one bit. Oye!

Quick Reply: OT: Singer Experience