Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Reload this Page >

Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for

Notices

Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for

Reply

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM
  #61  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,821
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
nouvalari and whoopsy, i dont have 918 and am trying to find a CGT.
but reading your banters, gentlemanly banter, is very entertaining.
no mud slinging like the GT3 board.
keep it up, i am learning big time
He and I may have different values/views on stuff, that's it, nothing major but we do share the love of Porsches. What's in his garage are some of the cars I loved too, I think same can be said of him.

There is no need to get nasty over something trivial, that he is not gonna lose sleep over nor I.

But one thing he and I will agreed on, you really should get a CGT!
Whoopsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM
  #62  
nuvolari612
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
nouvalari and whoopsy, i dont have 918 and am trying to find a CGT.
but reading your banters, gentlemanly banter, is very entertaining.
no mud slinging like the GT3 board.
keep it up, i am learning big time
Me too - which is why I enjoy reading posting interacting and truly would love to learn about the 918 (whoopsy) from owners.

Bottom line we are all nuts - there is no doubt about that but if we don't tell anyone other than like nuts it makes us sane.

This is a 1% forum perhaps less - it does not get much better than this experience without getting the typical "rich guys and their toys" when I grew up the guys who had cool cars were g-ds respected and would talk about their cars while fiddling with them. Fact is today's cars are untouchable all one has to do is open up the engine trunk on a RS - when I did it was depressing. Mclaren same thing on the 720 which helps me justify picking up every NA beast I can get my greedy hands on

I just sent mine up to the dealer new tires tire sensors oil battery just under 5k.

Bottom line anyone who has the means - get one!
nuvolari612 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 PM
  #63  
CRex
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
CRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NYC / HKG
Posts: 2,687
Default

Originally Posted by mooty
nouvalari and whoopsy, i dont have 918 and am trying to find a CGT.
but reading your banters, gentlemanly banter, is very entertaining.
no mud slinging like the GT3 board.
keep it up, i am learning big time
A change of pace from our favorite board isn't it...

Personalities aside, I think you'll totally love this car. I didn't get it before. "It's got no racing heritage... not a flat 6... made too many of em... blah blah..."

Drove it and I'm eating my shoe. Completely silenced.
CRex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 PM
  #64  
Andial
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,370
Default

Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
There are just some people who are more private than other private people.

They still want to share, but not to the at times hostile crowd of Rennlist. You have been here for a long time, I am sure you have noticed the degradation of quality on this board. Not to mention the uncalled for hostility toward 918 VIPs. The anger should have been directed at the dealers, not the VIPs. Not our fault that VIP get offered rare cars and not our fault that we can all afford to buy them all. But it is the fault of the dealers to try and make up those 'lost' profits aka ADM from other cars they received.

People just get sick of that and leave that's all. Some of them still frequent the board, they just don't post like I do.
Are all 918 owners in the fb group? If one buys a used 918, can they join the fb group?
Andial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 PM
  #65  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,821
Default

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu View Post
Are all 918 owners in the fb group? If one buys a used 918, can they join the fb group?
Not ALL the 918 owners are in the group. But yes the only requirement to join is to have a 918, new or used.
Whoopsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:41 PM
  #66  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,300
Default

Originally Posted by mooty
nouvalari and whoopsy, i dont have 918 and am trying to find a CGT.
but reading your banters, gentlemanly banter, is very entertaining.
no mud slinging like the GT3 board.
keep it up, i am learning big time
Mooty, as a long time RS buyer/owner, I took delivery of a CGT today. I've driven them before but never as an owner and never long enough to start to really get comfortable with the car. It's an amazing car. And, it's meaningfully different than anything else I've experienced. It's more refined than a 997 4.0 even thought older(it does not feel like a mid-2000's car). It's exotic and the engine/tranny combo are insane and unique. It shares the high-strung nature of RS's but that's about it. U should go for it. U won't regret it.
Jrtaylor9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:09 PM
  #67  
isv
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 401
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
And, it's meaningfully different than anything else I've experienced. It's more refined than a 997 4.0 even thought older(it does not feel like a mid-2000's car). It's exotic and the engine/tranny combo are insane and unique. It shares the high-strung nature of RS's
while I agree the cgt is a very meaningfully different car to most, especially modern cars, I have to say I'm amazed you find the cgt is more refined than the 4.0. As far as I have found, the cgt is by far the more 'raw', unfiltered and analogue feeling car. 'like the rs but on crack' was my description of the cgt to my brother the first time I drove the cgt many years ago - I still to a large measure think that is spot on. For me anyway, more refined it absolutely isn't!
isv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 PM
  #68  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,300
Default

Originally Posted by isv
while I agree the cgt is a very meaningfully different car to most, especially modern cars, I have to say I'm amazed you find the cgt is more refined than the 4.0. As far as I have found, the cgt is by far the more 'raw', unfiltered and analogue feeling car. 'like the rs but on crack' was my description of the cgt to my brother the first time I drove the cgt many years ago - I still to a large measure think that is spot on. For me anyway, more refined it absolutely isn't!
I meant nothing bad when I said refined. It's suspension, transmission, interior and even exhaust note are more refined to a 997rs. The CGT does want to kill you and it is several notches up in drama. I guess in the RS, it sounds like you are in a tin can with super spartan interior. The clutch is pulled off a calf exercise machine and the gearbox is so notchy. U hear acorns ping your undercarriage like they are boulders. A bypass exhaust produces a LOT more cabin noise. So, it's more raw because it is a more "stripped down" experience.

CGT is more violent for sure. It is crazy explosive. It is analogue. But it looks, sounds and acts more refined; and i don't mean that in a bad way at all. Not in the way a 991rs is more refined because it is so much more luxurious. CGT is razor sharp feedback and response compared to 4.0 for sure. Clutch, gearbox and exhaust note are much more precise and refined. Hell, the Mezger 4.0 sounds like it's going to stall at idle half the time! That's what i mean by raw vs refined.

I do admit we often use 'refined' as a derogatory description of a newer generation car being somewhat detached. CGT is not at all detached. But it feels like a more finished product than a 997-4.0. More precise, more refined (not in a bad way).
Jrtaylor9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 AM
  #69  
Brandon_
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Brandon_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 592
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
I took delivery of a CGT today.
Congratulations.....having read your posts over on the GT board you've got a fantastic analogue line up now!
Brandon_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 PM
  #70  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,300
Default

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Congratulations.....having read your posts over on the GT board you've got a fantastic analogue line up now!
I am lucky to have what I do.

Man, this cgt, as a true GT car is something I've never experienced before in any car, in my life. It is fun at any speed. Open top on open road; wow! I'm curious if I keep my remaining collection as is after owning a CGT for a while. It's going to be hard to want to reach for the keys of my other stuff with this in the garage. It's a masterpiece.
Jrtaylor9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 PM
  #71  
CRex
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
CRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NYC / HKG
Posts: 2,687
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
As a long time RS buyer/owner, I took delivery of a CGT today.
Congrats!!

This car really is a different ballgame from all the 911s. Not better or worse, but markedly *different*. In a suffer-no-fools, somewhat old-school kinda way, not expected of a post-millennium car. And I love it for that.
CRex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM
  #72  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,300
Default

Originally Posted by CRex
Congrats!!

This car really is a different ballgame from all the 911s. Not better or worse, but markedly *different*. In a suffer-no-fools, somewhat old-school kinda way, not expected of a post-millennium car. And I love it for that.
I'm amazed Porsche produced such a difficult/dangerous/under-tired car for the street. It's awesome but I'm guessing even the majority of car enthusiasts out there would just think it's too much hassle and too big of a handful. I love it but I'm guessing there's a very small subset of people that want as demanding of a driving experience, in a super car package, as the CGT. But god bless Porsche for having the ***** to do it. It's almost amazing given the direction they've taken to produce insanely capable cars that are better on the track and as a road car. They produce Swiss Army knives today that are good at almost everything. The CGT is good at primarily one thing: raising the hair on back of neck and making you just a little scared in the process.
Jrtaylor9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 PM
  #73  
Jrtaylor9
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,300
Default

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back OT. Good luck with your search.
Jrtaylor9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 PM
  #74  
Whoopsy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Whoopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,821
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
I'm amazed Porsche produced such a difficult/dangerous/under-tired car for the street. It's awesome but I'm guessing even the majority of car enthusiasts out there would just think it's too much hassle and too big of a handful. I love it but I'm guessing there's a very small subset of people that want as demanding of a driving experience, in a super car package, as the CGT. But god bless Porsche for having the ***** to do it. It's almost amazing given the direction they've taken to produce insanely capable cars that are better on the track and as a road car. They produce Swiss Army knives today that are good at almost everything. The CGT is good at primarily one thing: raising the hair on back of neck and making you just a little scared in the process.

All because the CGT is unlike every other car Porsche made outside of the 911 GT1.

The GT1 was a race car converted to street trim. The CGT was the salvage program of 2 failed race programs. The engine is basically a straight up race engine, so is the chassis setup. It simply didn't have all the development time in the world like the 959 or the 918 to be more civilized, so it will be a handful even in the hands of skilled drivers as it is basically a 'converted' race car.
Whoopsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 AM
  #75  
nuvolari612
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
I'm amazed Porsche produced such a difficult/dangerous/under-tired car for the street. It's awesome but I'm guessing even the majority of car enthusiasts out there would just think it's too much hassle and too big of a handful. I love it but I'm guessing there's a very small subset of people that want as demanding of a driving experience, in a super car package, as the CGT. But god bless Porsche for having the ***** to do it. It's almost amazing given the direction they've taken to produce insanely capable cars that are better on the track and as a road car. They produce Swiss Army knives today that are good at almost everything. The CGT is good at primarily one thing: raising the hair on back of neck and making you just a little scared in the process.
Built by a race team focussed on drivers - owners who desire less either sell or feather dusts their CGT avoiding it's purpose. I recall 60 plus patents all for one purposely built CGT

Enjoy!
nuvolari612 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help... Hunting for a CGT in the UK/Europe - Good Price and What to look out for


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: