Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan vs Audi Q5D

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Diesel is expensive where I am located, and the Diesel engine option is usually expensive too.

You would need to do a lot of miles each year to make the diesel a money saver when compared to the gas powered vehicle.

The Diesel makes sense for the long term owner but not a short term owner.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 PM
AlfonsoR
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ diesel is better resale whether long term or short term. Diesel pulling power always a plus, short or long term.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfonsoR
^^^ diesel is better resale whether long term or short term. Diesel pulling power always a plus, short or long term.
A diesel with less peak power does NOT have more "pulling power" than a gasoline engine. Power is power. The difference is that a typical diesel achieves its power at lower RPM. That matters if you are towing a heavy load AND care about fuel economy. If you really care only about fuel economy, then an engine start/stop function at red lights can realistically offset any fuel-sipping advantages that a low-RPM engine might offer.

... and in many North American markets, diesel is the more expensive fuel by far. Everyone has to do the math for their own driving circuit, but "pulling power" is not a trump card, its a fallacy spread by people who never owned a smooth modern transmission.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Can someone please explain the attraction of an oil burner in North America, the land of subsidized ethanol-enriched gasoline?

It's not as though the Macan will be towing a plow. It has one of the finest gearboxes around, so you can always tap the power of your gasoline engine instantaneously. Why would you pay the weight penalty and engine cost penalty and fuel cost penalty of a diesel if you live in North America? I thought Porsche pilots liked to be engaged with their cars, shifting by themselves, and working through the full RPM range of their highly refined lightweight alloy engines. IMHO, even a modern diesel falls flat in terms of driver pleasure. If you want to drive a bus, then buy a bus. If you want a sporting small utility, then why not go with a sporting engine?
Not sure where in NA you are, but having instant low-RPM torque is ideal for moving quickly through So Cal traffic, and IMO a lot more relaxing than a busy 7- or 8-speed transmission running down and up through the gears looking for the power band. For both our E-class and X5 diesels engine cost was negligible, and at the Shell where I fill up diesel is currently 3.99, while premium is 4.05, which is typical for that station. Yes, the spread can be large at some stations, but with ~500 mile range, I can easily stick to the stations that are consistently less expensive (and have ample supply of paper towels).

I absolutely like to be engaged with my weekend cars, shifting myself, and working through the full RPM range of their highly refined lightweight alloy engines.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Diesel does not have economic benefits in the US unless your drive at least 15k or so per year. Especially if you buy the diesel brand new. Power stats also do not make sense when you have force induced v6 engines with better weight to power ratios.

That being said since when do we justify driving Porsches based on economics or stats. It's only about driving experience. It makes no financial sense to spend 120k on a 50 year old design sports car that has fallen behind 50k Asian imports on certain stats

I enjoy driving my mercedes r320 diesel less than 7k a year. It provides no financial savings over gasoline but love that torque while climbing 10,000 ft high mountain passes.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
sebis
Racer

I enjoy driving my 335d to work 100 miles a day round trip, it has 425 ft-lb of torque and 265 hp. I can zip around traffic without revving the engine while getting over 30 mpg. Of course it makes sense in the US as long as you have a long enough commute.

Having said that, I would not get a Macan Diesel since I am buying it for other needs: weekend/fun vehicle. The twin turbo engines including the S have a very flat torque band and coupled with the PDK and Sports Chrono +, should be a blast to drive.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I hope the Macan meets your expectations as a primarily "fun" vehicle, but being a ~4,300 SUV, I just don't see how it would be more entertaining than your 335d...
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I hope the Macan meets your expectations as a primarily "fun" vehicle, but being a ~4,300 SUV, I just don't see how it would be more entertaining than your 335d...
BMW 335d is 3825 lb vs. 4112 lb. for Macan S, not that big of a difference. The Macan S is about 0.7 seconds faster to 60 mph with a better transmission, no turbo lag, wider track, wider tires with better grip, etc. I am getting mine with Air Suspension thus will go one inch lower and coupled with Sport Chrono + I expect to be more entertaining. Reading the reviews so far I have no reason do doubt this. Plus it is a Porsche
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

This is directly from Porsche:

Curb weight (lbs) min / max 4112 / 4641

With air-suspension it will be towards the high end. Only so much technology can do to mask that weight, and along with AWD, I would rather take a RWD 3-series with 425 of torque. But that's me.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
winning
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Macan Turbo and my wife drives an SQ5. Both great cars. Still unable to pick a winner.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by winning
I have a Macan Turbo and my wife drives an SQ5. Both great cars. Still unable to pick a winner.
and the winner is...VW Group!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
... and in many North American markets, diesel is the more expensive fuel by far. Everyone has to do the math for their own driving circuit, but "pulling power" is not a trump card, its a fallacy spread by people who never owned a smooth modern transmission.
+1

Diesel still does not make sense to me in the US. It is more expensive now, the gasoline cars inch closer and closer to diesel in fuel economy. And once you add the costs of diesel, initial costs, the overpriced Adblue and other diesel specific maintenance services, I am not sure anyone comes out ahead. Even C02 emissions are higher and even Low Sulphur diesel releases particulate matter that gasoline does not. The only reason German companies are selling diesels in the US are to meet the CAFE standards which (wrongly) do not distinguish between gasoline and diesel. They also have more expertise in diesel vs Japanese and American companies and they are simply leveraging that expertise. Meeting those CAFE standards still does not mean the the diesel car is better for the environment somehow.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting for the diesel. But I think it's an outlier that will choose a Macan as a ultra high mileage daily driver. Otherwise IMO it makes no sense given the compelling performance of the S.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM
fincher
Racer

Call me an outlier. Want the diesel, too.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 PM
fincher
Racer

I'm an outlier. I want the diesel, as well.

Quick Reply: Macan vs Audi Q5D