Macan 2014-Current

5 broken valve cover bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 PM
tzhou
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5 broken valve cover bolts

I was recently looking at a used 2017 Macan Turbo at a non-Porsche dealership. The dealership had performed a safety check prior to putting it on the market and found oil leakage. I've read about the various oil leakage issues on Macans but the service report noted that the oil leakage came from 5 broken bolts on the valve cover. I haven't seen anything like this yet and this particular example only has about 12k miles left on the original warranty. Is this something to be concerned about long term? Or now that it's been fixed, is the problem resolved entirely?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Buy CPO from an authorized Porsche dealer...

Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm no tech. But non-Porsche shop? If I was the tech, I would have buttoned that engine up, and sent it to the Porsche store. They should not have touched anything if it were covered under warranty.
Don't explore, you'll get blamed.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Funny how the picture in the OP shows the word “warranty” a half-dozen-plus times. There are simple, twisted, and conspiracy explanations for that.

As to the OP’s questions:
- you’ll never know why those bolts were broken. Young bolts typically break upon removal because they were over-torqued when installed. As a rule, bolts are not over-torqued at the factory.
- if it bothers you negotiate for CPO added to the remainder of the factory warranty.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:41 AM
tzhou
Track Day

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I'm no tech. But non-Porsche shop? If I was the tech, I would have buttoned that engine up, and sent it to the Porsche store. They should not have touched anything if it were covered under warranty.
Don't explore, you'll get blamed.
The dealership is non-Porsche but actually sent it to the local Porsche dealership when they found oil dripping in an inspection. The service record is actually from the Porsche dealership who performed the replacement under the original warranty. The only issue is, there's only about 14k miles left on the original warranty so I'm not sure if this is a sign of bigger issues.

Originally Posted by worf928
Funny how the picture in the OP shows the word “warranty” a half-dozen-plus times. There are simple, twisted, and conspiracy explanations for that.

As to the OP’s questions:
- you’ll never know why those bolts were broken. Young bolts typically break upon removal because they were over-torqued when installed. As a rule, bolts are not over-torqued at the factory.
- if it bothers you negotiate for CPO added to the remainder of the factory warranty.
It was actually performed under warranty at the local Porsche dealership. The dealership selling the car is non-Porsche but sent it over for service - the service record is actually from the Porsche dealership. However, since the dealership selling it isn't Porsche, there's no option for CPO. My concern is whether this is a sign of more issues? The Carfax doesn't show any additional service records.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

In the original post above valve cover bolts are noted - not timing chain cover bolts.

There have been a few threads in this and other Macan forums about timing chain cover bolts and their failure
and associated oil leaks with the timing chain cover - not the valve cover(s).

Whether the repair to this particular Macan is an indicator of future issues, nobody can say for sure - and my
crystal ball broke years ago.

Who had the valve covers off and for what reason(s)? The bolts were apparently overtightened at that time.

While there are certainly many used Macans from which to choose, buying CPO from an authorized dealer would be
the safest bet. Why risk any other option? Price? If so, what would you really be saving and at what sort of gamble?

Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 PM
tzhou
Track Day

Originally Posted by PSEE
In the original post above valve cover bolts are noted - not timing chain cover bolts.

There have been a few threads in this and other Macan forums about timing chain cover bolts and their failure
and associated oil leaks with the timing chain cover - not the valve cover(s).

Whether the repair to this particular Macan is an indicator of future issues, nobody can say for sure - and my
crystal ball broke years ago.

Who had the valve covers off and for what reason(s)? The bolts were apparently overtightened at that time.

While there are certainly many used Macans from which to choose, buying CPO from an authorized dealer would be
the safest bet. Why risk any other option? Price? If so, what would you really be saving and at what sort of gamble?
After re-reading the report, I realized it’s not clear where the bolts actually come from. Is the timing chain cover also accessible from removing the valve covers? Just want to make sure that it isn’t the timing chain cover bolts that were actually broken.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:59 PM
tzhou
Track Day

To give an update, the dealership (Stevens Creek BMW in California) ended up lowering the price to ~$58k over the weekend and someone else purchased it.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I believe this is a "bad bolt" issue my colleague had last year on his early 2017. It's an engine out job. Bad bolts or bad torque, porsche folks took photos of the fix process.

Quick Reply: 5 broken valve cover bolts