Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Can USA residents buy new Porsches in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Can USA residents buy new Porsches in Canada?

I've been playing with the Porsche Canada online Configurator, and I notice that -- allowing for the current exchange rate -- the MSRP is about 24 percent less for a US citizen buying a new Macan in Canada than for that same US citizen buying essentially the same new Macan in the USA. I assume that US citizens can buy Porsches in Canada and bring them back to the USA, with the payment of an import tax. But does anybody know if cars sent to Canada from Porsche/Germany have the same emission equipment as Porsches sent to the USA? And does anybody know if Porsche USA will honor Porsche Canada warranties? (It might be even cheaper to buy a USA warranty, given these really reasonable prices in Canada, if that had to be done.)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 405 Posts

The answer to many of your questions is Yes, but unfortunately, it's No for your key question. I don't believe a Canadian Porsche dealer will sell you a new car that you plan to export immediately to the US. A used or CPO is no problem.

Best way to find out, though, is to call a few dealers there and ask.

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 11-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

You can't. You need Canadian address and Canadian DL to get a new car.
But, you can do it for used car AFAIK.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I've done it for a CPO vehicle, purchased from Pfaff. No problem. The speedo in the cluster will read in KPH. The
digital speed display in the tach can be tweaked to show MPH vs. KPH. Warranty is covered - it's PCNA, remember?
Emissions is/are fine. As already noted, you'll need to pay duty - and use a customs broker, which will also cost
you something. How about transport? Add that in too.

Why would there be any restriction over buying a new vehicle?

Call the dealer in Canada.

There's a lot of opinion in the forum...

Old 11-05-2018, 11:42 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Because Canadian Porsche new car MSRP are amongst the lowest in the world and Porsche takes a dim view of arbitrage. There used to be an underground system where foreign (i.e. China, Africa and Russia) buyers would pay Canadian university students a few thousand dollars to buy a Porsche under their name and the car was than immediately put on a shipping container for export. Something like this is impossible to stop completely, but our SA told us that Porsche cash buyers were "investigated" by Porsche to ensure that their addresses were in areas of high net worth.

Many years ago, when the Canadian dollar was at par with American, I tried to buy a new BMW in the US and was told emphatically no by two dealerships .
Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Importing/exporting new Porsches (regardless of country of origin) is strictly prohibited. Dealers are notified several times a year which VIN’s have ended up in other countries. Each dealer is given a certain number of “mulligans,” but then receives a 1 for 1 chargeback, while the owner is put on a broker list. Porsche also reserves the right to void the warranty.

Used cars older than a year (or maybe six months - I’ve forgotten) are exempt from this restriction.

Exporting Cayennes to China and other parts of the world was a huge, market-disrupting problem for Porsche. Since then, Porsche watches it very closely. Additionally, clients have attempted to capitalize specifically on the USD/CAD fluctuations and arbitrage that market, as well. Porsche watches it, too. While one car here and there makes no difference, the idea quickly spreads and ultimately leads to hundreds of exports and truly begins to affect supply and demand.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Cometguy - really? They have to catch you. Go shopping in Canada, do the exchange, pay the duty. Your done.
If you were wise? Don't buy new. Find a dealer demo. There should be lots of them coming in, as the 2019's get plated up.
What is a carb state? Like California? Go up the cost to Vancouver, or Victoria. Just a quick flight up there. Lots of rain, but little snow, sand or salt.
$8oooo cdn = 60800 ish usd plus duty and local sales tax
https://porschevictoria.com/inventor...tallic+1510251

I bought mine out of montreal. 3 years old, spent the winters in florida.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 11-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 42 Posts

The differential between the two currencies make this an atrractivive scenario for Americans, this is one reason it is not allowed. You are also supporting another out of country dealership/city/country, which your residence country is deterring you from doing. Each country's allocation and pricing are tweaked by Porsche to be aligned with the respective countries market, demand and competition.

In short, you can't buy a new canadian car, but you can buy a used one.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:57 AM
I. Awais
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tach digital sppedometer

Originally Posted by PSEE
I've done it for a CPO vehicle, purchased from Pfaff. No problem. The speedo in the cluster will read in KPH. The
digital speed display in the tach can be tweaked to show MPH vs. KPH. Warranty is covered - it's PCNA, remember?
Emissions is/are fine. As already noted, you'll need to pay duty - and use a customs broker, which will also cost
you something. How about transport? Add that in too.

Call the dealer in Canada.

There's a lot of opinion in the forum...

Hello! How did you change the digital speed display on the tachometer ? The settings only allow me to change the digital speedometer to the left ? Please advise can’t find this info anywhere with google search! Thank you!
Old 04-23-2020, 04:09 AM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can’t.

you are required to lease it for at least a year.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:40 AM
I. Awais
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vangoose
You can’t.

you are required to lease it for at least a year.

sorry a little confused, I can’t until after 1 year on a lease ? I purchased the vehicle, does that make a difference ?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by I. Awais
Hello! How did you change the digital speed display on the tachometer ? The settings only allow me to change the digital speedometer to the left ? Please advise can’t find this info anywhere with google search! Thank you!

its in the owners manual, heres the procedure.

Setting units

Setting speedometer and compass units

1. VehicleSettingsUnitsSpeedometer
  1. Select the desired option:
  • km / km/h
  • Miles / mph

Information

The unit is adjusted in the following displays:
  • Total mileage and trip mileage display
  • Digital speedometer
  • Multifunction display
  • Compass on the dashboard
  • PCM
Old 04-23-2020, 12:12 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

What do dealers typically charge for a demo/loaner model to be sold with a CPO warranty? Something like $3k? I would think that might be negotiable to some degree.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
What do dealers typically charge for a demo/loaner model to be sold with a CPO warranty? Something like $3k? I would think that might be negotiable to some degree.
$3k is the number I've been told. Includes the cost of the warranty from Porsche and the inspection. I wouldn't think there's too much wiggle room.
The following users liked this post:
tk-porsche (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:59 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
$3k is the number I've been told. Includes the cost of the warranty from Porsche and the inspection. I wouldn't think there's too much wiggle room.
Is it also possible to get a 2-year warranty extension while a new vehicle is still under warranty for about the same amount?

Quick Reply: Can USA residents buy new Porsches in Canada?