Macan 2014-Current

Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion

I just posted the following in the Cayenne 958 forum where I know a lot of folks there and have participated for a long time before getting my Macan GTS.

So I'd like the opinion of my new found Macan friends here as well, take a look and give me your thoughts...thanks ......

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-opinion.html
Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think it looks fine but would never do that to my Macan wheel. Also, I've never understood the merits of the stripe. I had a Momo Mod .07 with the yellow stripe in my old race car and can say that I never looked at the stripe once when I was driving at speed.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:28 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I think it looks fine but would never do that to my Macan wheel. Also, I've never understood the merits of the stripe. I had a Momo Mod .07 with the yellow stripe in my old race car and can say that I never looked at the stripe once when I was driving at speed.
Thanks Mark, appreciate the input! I certainly wouldn't do it to a leather wheel for fear of what the adhesive might do, but on this carbon wheel it just peels right off like it was never there.

The history/purpose of these steering wheel stripes comes from the racing world, but these days in modern performance vehicles it's much more a matter of style/cosmetics....much like exterior stripes/decals.

Keep the thoughts coming folks....much appreciated!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

It works and looks seamless on your CF surface. I've seen others do it on leather wheels. If using RTA vinyl, the adhesive is not too tenacious, so I would doubt it would hurt leather.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:04 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Would you send me a strip attached to a piece of waxed paper?

I like the look and would like to add it to my CF wheel too. My MT is AG/AG.

Thx!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

What's the purpose? I would find it disconcerting.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwahl
What's the purpose? I would find it disconcerting.
It’s history and purpose comes from various forms of racing. You can research it online to see the many ways it’s been used.

On several modern performance street vehicles, it’s there mainly for cosmetics giving a more sporty/performance look. Much like carbon fiber trim or racing stripes lend a sporty/performance nature to production cars with roots in the racing world.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, I think it looks out of character in an SUV and less in character on a carbon fiber wheel which is more of a luxury design, and not a race design. And it would be better altogether if the red were closer to matching the leather color. Plus, on the carbon wheel there is no natural detent or edge to make a natural flush positioning of the tape so it just looks, and feels, like tape.

By the way, I have a contrasting platinum grey stripe on my black leather Carrera S wheel which matches my platinum grey leather seats, so I am not opposed to the idea where it fits the application. And I have the same red interior in my Rhodium silver Macan GTS so I applaud your taste in interior!

In the end, it’s your hard earned dollars on a wonderful and expensive car. So do what you like and don’t listen to us! Enjoy!

Last edited by BradB; 11-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

The only thing that makes this kind of work is the sportiness of the rest of the interior, but I'm also not a fan of wheel centering stripes, and why I ordered the DCT carbon wheel in my 997 without it - maybe I don't understand the purpose so my opinion us skewed in the "not in favor" direction to start with. I've never had a problem making my cars go straight without a wheel centering stripe

In most of the photos, it also looks brighter than the rest of the red interior, which would also bug me.

None of this really matters though - it's really whether you like it or not vs whether we do.

That is an awesome 8nterior though.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BradB
Personally, I think it looks out of character in an SUV and less in character on a carbon fiber wheel which is more of a luxury design, and not a race design. And it would be better altogether if the red were closer to matching the leather color. Plus, on the carbon wheel there is no natural detent or edge to make a natural flush positioning of the tape so it just looks, and feels, like tape.

By the way, I have a contrasting platinum grey stripe on my black leather Carrera S wheel which matches my platinum grey leather seats, so I am not opposed to the idea where it fits the application. And I have the same red interior in my Rhodium silver Macan GTS so I applaud your taste in interior!

In the end, it’s your hard earned dollars on a wonderful and expensive car. So do what you like and don’t listen to us! Enjoy!
Appreciate all the comments. One thing you mentioned, the fact that it’s added on top of the surface with no existing detent/depression for it is one thing that bugs me about it. Not being flush and smooth, as it would be with a factory install, is something I don’t think I can come to terms with. Even though this vinyl is very thin and the edge is slight, it’s enough to bother me a bit too much. That combined with my general OCD about such things, and my ‘OEM fan boy’ nature, I think it’s gonna come off. Besides, if I were totally sold on it, I probably wouldn’t be here asking all of you fine folks for your opinions! Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
The only thing that makes this kind of work is the sportiness of the rest of the interior, but I'm also not a fan of wheel centering stripes, and why I ordered the DCT carbon wheel in my 997 without it - maybe I don't understand the purpose so my opinion us skewed in the "not in favor" direction to start with. I've never had a problem making my cars go straight without a wheel centering stripe

In most of the photos, it also looks brighter than the rest of the red interior, which would also bug me.

None of this really matters though - it's really whether you like it or not vs whether we do.

That is an awesome 8nterior though.
Thanks for the compliment on the interior, and thank you for your overall feedback. Read my response above to Brad, pretty sure I’m taking it off and going back OEM as I prefer.

Also when you mentioned the color, even though it’s closer to the garnet red interior color than the photos suggest, you’re right that it is still a bit brighter. And I’ve been thinking that somewhat detracts and takes some focus away from the nice optional factory garnet red gauges I have. Thanks again for your input, these are the sort of comments I was looking for. They help confirm some thoughts I had about it.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:31 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Default And the final decision is....

Just to bring closure to this one, for the reasons I stated earlier here and in the Cayenne forum, it’s all back to stock OEM....steering wheel centering stripe gone. Experiment over. My OCD is at rest again

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:18 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really plan on using it, yellow or red electrical tape works best. You can reapply it when it tears off. It will probably take the leather off, but if you're doing stuff that requires a 12:00 marker your car won't be looking new for long.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by LandCruiser
If you really plan on using it, yellow or red electrical tape works best. You can reapply it when it tears off. It will probably take the leather off, but if you're doing stuff that requires a 12:00 marker your car won't be looking new for long.
Electrical tape is far from the best material to use....for one the adhesive can get soft and start sliding around in high heat conditions, not to mention the terrible residue it leaves behind. For a temporary track session then remove it right way, it might be okay. But long term, the 3M 1080 class of vinyl is nearly ideal.

Doesn’t matter in my case though, I removed it long ago. No stripe, back to stock. Only way I’d go with the centering stripe is if it was OEM.

Quick Reply: Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion