Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion

Good morning all,

I'd like the valued opinion of my 'Porsche colleagues' on the following...

A little background....my previous CTT had the optional 'sport steering wheel' with the sewn-in 12 o'clock center marker at the top of the wheel. It was the same luxor beige leather as the rest of the wheel.

Enter my Macan GTS with the option carbon fiber sport steering wheel. I'm seeing how it looks with a centering stripe as well. I used the highest quality automotive use exterior gloss vinyl I could find, Avery SW900. It's cut to the exact width of the steering wheels stripes found on the GT3s and GT4s (those are alcantara). The gloss of this vinyl matches the gloss clearcoat of the carbon fiber perfectly.

As far as I've been able to tell, Porsche doesn't make a carbon steering wheel with the centering stripe, some aftermarket suppliers do. I'm not spending big bucks though just for the stripe, and I want to retain the stock OEM carbon wheel.

So I've applied it, and I'm trying to decide if I like it or not...I'm on the proverbial fence. It's what Avery calls their 'carmine red', so 'in person' it's a little darker than it appears in my photos. Keep in mind I have the garnet red/black two-tone interior, garnet read gauges and seat belts, and some garnet red deviated stitching. The stripe is a fairly good color match with the garnet, but a bit brighter.

So anyway, let me know your thoughts....stay or go? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks good to me! But makes me wonder how it'll hold up.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by CK.GTS
Looks good to me! But makes me wonder how it'll hold up.
Yeah I thought about that too, but this vinyl is the same quality/spec as the OEMs use for exterior applications. That's what it's designed for. It's pretty robust stuff.

Just trying to decide if I like it there or not, and if it actually detracts from the carbon fiber wheel? I'm pretty much an OEM diehard these days, so when I do anything like this, I second guess a lot. I'm hopelessly picky, I like these things to be of high quality and tasteful, OEM-like when done.

Thanks for your input! Keep em coming folks.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:10 PM
burkew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, and if I saw it in person (riding in your car or walking by), I would assume it was OEM as it looks very Porsche'esq.

I vote keep it, if you eventually want to remove it, you always can!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:22 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by burkew
I like it, and if I saw it in person (riding in your car or walking by), I would assume it was OEM as it looks very Porsche'esq.

I vote keep it, if you eventually want to remove it, you always can!
Thanks for the input! The way you describe it is exactly how I want/intended it to appear. Otherwise it comes off. So that helps in my decision, thanks again.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it looks great.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Seems kind of poserish, to me. It's and SUV, er CUV. There's no need for a GT3-like steering stripe. And it's taped on, rather than native, so it'll always look... not original with anything more than a passing glance, based on the pictures (no matter that it's an excellent tape job!).
Old 11-01-2018, 03:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I think it looks great.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:06 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Knowing that it's not permanent, my OCD would be firing on all cylinders on how the tape is not level with the carbon fiber, which would end up making me pick at it....eventually leading to me ripping it off. But it does look nice. SUV/CUV or not, I'd do it if I had the choice of optioning my Cayenne that way.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default it does look nice

Knowing that it's not permanent, my OCD would be firing on all cylinders on how the tape is not level with the carbon fiber, which would end up making me pick at it....eventually leading to me ripping it off. But it does look nice. SUV/CUV or not, I'd do it if I had the choice of optioning my Cayenne that way.
sure it look nice, here is an idea how about using that silver or even duct tape strip with strong adhesive side., and plasti dip it in red . i would say it would be almost permenant/
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Hah, I certainly can relate on the OCD thing, trust me! This is not the first attempt at applying it, I’ve gone through a few interactions before it met my standards. You’d be surprised how difficult it is to find exact top center on the steering wheel, and then get the stripe lined up and centered correctly, and applied smoothly. And you can’t go by the carbon weave to do this, because it doesn’t run straight up and down exactly, it varies.

Hence my starting this thread to let other Porsche owners see it and give me their thoughts. I appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by marinerbc
sure it look nice, here is an idea how about using that silver or even duct tape strip with strong adhesive side., and plasti dip it in red . i would say it would be almost permenant/
Thanks. No duct tape! That would become a sticky sliding mess in no time. Same with folks that have used the commonly found colored vinyl tape found in most retail stores. The only way I’d want this to be permanent anyway would be if it were done by Porsche and the red stripe was applied under the clearcoat.

The reason I researched and selected this particular vinyl is because it’s made for exterior professional vinyl wrapping of vehicles. It is made by an OEM supplier of decals, etc., so it meets very stringent and specific specs. The adhesive backing is very strong and will not break down and become sticky or gummy, and when removed (even years later), will not leave any damage or residue, leaving the surface underneath pristine. I also stands up to the extremes of temperature, handling, etc., and it’s very thin.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Okay, so here’s three more photos of it from different perspectives, and a bit better lighting than the first two pics from earlier today. Maybe these will help you render your opinion. At this point I’m still undecided myself...

Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default that would do it

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Thanks. No duct tape! That would become a sticky sliding mess in no time. Same with folks that have used the commonly found colored vinyl tape found in most retail stores. The only way I’d want this to be permanent anyway would be if it were done by Porsche and the red stripe was applied under the clearcoat.

The reason I researched and selected this particular vinyl is because it’s made for exterior professional vinyl wrapping of vehicles. It is made by an OEM supplier of decals, etc., so it meets very stringent and specific specs. The adhesive backing is very strong and will not break down and become sticky or gummy, and when removed (even years later), will not leave any damage or residue, leaving the surface underneath pristine. I also stands up to the extremes of temperature, handling, etc., and it’s very thin.
honestly it looks great and i am sure that kind of tape specs. as described is perfect for this application. good job

Old 11-01-2018, 09:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by marinerbc
honestly it looks great and i am sure that kind of tape specs. as described is perfect for this application. good job
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Minor steering wheel mod - Give me your opinion