Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John356
Among the 85 results of a Google search for Porsche Macan oil leak is the following. A search for Audi oil leak produces more than 12 million results.

https://midwestperformancecars.com/p...dden-oil-leak/

Porsche Macan Hidden Oil Leak

The Porsche Macan is a great vehicle, BUT, it is still a car, and it comes with its particular issues. Here is a video detailing a “hidden oil leak” that we have seen repeatedly on Porsche Macan models, regardless of age or mileage. Watch the video and learn why you should choose an expert independent shop for your fluids, filters, and other maintenance, even when you are still under factory warranty! A quality independent shop can save you a lot of money in out-of-pocket repairs.

https://youtu.be/9zZrDqD42IE

Just coincidence, co-worker got the word this morning his 2014 Audi has a leak. Less than 60k miles and out of warranty. 1,900 to fix at the dealer ........... 1,100 at the indy.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:58 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Well the 2017 Mac S has the "seepage / leak" also at 40k mile service. so off to discuss with the Dealer later today. I suspect it has been around for a while. .
Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bojali
Well the 2017 Mac S has the "seepage / leak" also at 40k mile service. so off to discuss with the Dealer later today. I suspect it has been around for a while. .
I’m guessing your probably still under factory warranty? If so you should be good to go.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

yep, apparently from the dealer we need to have this done under "factory warranty" not CPO. so making a appointment asap
Old 02-28-2019, 02:08 AM
mountainlion
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to Rennlist, but found this thread googling the issue. I own a ‘16 Macan S purchased CPO at 23k miles. It now has 40k miles and has the oil leak issue at the timing cover. I first noticed an oil stain on the lower engine cover passenger side near the vents at 30k miles when I was changing the oil, but did not see a source or signs of a significant leak. Moving forward to 40k miles with another oil change - this time the alternator and all surrounding parts above were covered in oil. It was time for the PDK service and brought the car to our local dealer (Suncoast Porsche).

I notified the service advisor of the leak, the car was supposed to be serviced same or next day. A few days go by and I call for an update - the head tech was notified of leak and they weren't going to look at it until the lift bay for engine removal was free. Yikes - sounded like they were expecting the worst before looking at it. I asked if they had seen this before, but did not get a straight answer. Six days after dropping it off, they said they found a bolt was loose at the timing cover. They cleaned everything tightened the bolt, performed the pdk flush, and drove it 20 miles. No signs of leakage. So we'll wait and see now - will be pulling the lower engine cover every 500 miles now for inspection. Needless to say this is very concerning as I approach 50k miles and get out of warranty.

Posts on macanforums say bolts were sheered at the timing cover and the engine needed to be pulled to replace. $7-8000 job https://www.macanforum.com/forum/com...ak-anyone.html
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 AM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

^ sounds like what others are seeing. timing cover leak, bad bolts, and $$$ to fix.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 AM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, who knows if it will leak again if Porsche fixes it. Remember seeing another thread asking about looking at a used Macan with bolts replaced and asking if it will leak again, but no one replied. Guess it's too technical and not much time and experience on it happening or not happening again.
Edit: some replies are there now.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Bingo. It's funny to me when people think that this is something their dealer would automatically tell them about when they get an oil change. Odds are they won't because oil changes usually aren't performed by the techs but by the junior guys who are told to crank through the routine services as quickly as possible. Sure, this would usually be covered by warranty that the dealer gets reimbursed for, but like you said, this engine out repair will tie up a lift for days and ties up a tech's time from generating revenue on other tasks.

Moral of the story is to have an independent mechanic check it if you are unable do check it yourself. Or at the very least directly instruct your service adviser that this is something you want specifically inspected.
On point !!!!! If the independent mechanic finds something, ANYTHING, don't touch it; take pics if possible!!!! Then take it right back to the dealership and have them fix it. REMEMBER, don't let someone else touch the car. The dealer will start pointing fingers.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:34 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Originally Posted by mountainlion
New to Rennlist, but found this thread googling the issue. I own a ‘16 Macan S purchased CPO at 23k miles. It now has 40k miles and has the oil leak issue at the timing cover. I first noticed an oil stain on the lower engine cover passenger side near the vents at 30k miles when I was changing the oil, but did not see a source or signs of a significant leak. Moving forward to 40k miles with another oil change - this time the alternator and all surrounding parts above were covered in oil. It was time for the PDK service and brought the car to our local dealer (Suncoast Porsche).

I notified the service advisor of the leak, the car was supposed to be serviced same or next day. A few days go by and I call for an update - the head tech was notified of leak and they weren't going to look at it until the lift bay for engine removal was free. Yikes - sounded like they were expecting the worst before looking at it. I asked if they had seen this before, but did not get a straight answer. Six days after dropping it off, they said they found a bolt was loose at the timing cover. They cleaned everything tightened the bolt, performed the pdk flush, and drove it 20 miles. No signs of leakage. So we'll wait and see now - will be pulling the lower engine cover every 500 miles now for inspection. Needless to say this is very concerning as I approach 50k miles and get out of warranty.

Posts on macanforums say bolts were sheered at the timing cover and the engine needed to be pulled to replace. $7-8000 job https://www.macanforum.com/forum/com...ak-anyone.html
Found a "lose bolt" and then drove your car for ~20 miles? What kinda miles? I will venture to say the leak is still there. All they did was to crank down everything they could get a wrench on, sprayed it off and are hoping you won't come back for another 9,000 miles (48,000 miles for factory warranty and you have 40,000?). I hope you develop the oil leak again ...... before the factory warranty expires and they fix it right this time. Don't roll over on this.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:30 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Bingo. It's funny to me when people think that this is something their dealer would automatically tell them about when they get an oil change. Odds are they won't because oil changes usually aren't performed by the techs but by the junior guys who are told to crank through the routine services as quickly as possible. Sure, this would usually be covered by warranty that the dealer gets reimbursed for, but like you said, this engine out repair will tie up a lift for days and ties up a tech's time from generating revenue on other tasks.
Just to be clear (and accurate), not all dealers are the same and they all do not operate in the same manner. In my 40+ years of owning MANY enthusiast vehicles of several makes, I’ve certainly had my fair share of dealership experiences related to sales, service, etc. There’s good and not so good, competent and incompetent. Bottom line, if you find a good dealer, stick with them. Just don’t paint them all with a broad brush and assume all of them won’t bring issues like this to your attention.

But in the end, there’s nothing like keeping tabs on your own vehicle closely if you have the ability to do so. Nobody’s gonna care about your vehicle quite the way you do!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Well said.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Jeffrey Simon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
that would be the timing chain cover, would it not?

I believe of the ~85,000 Macans sold in the US since its introduction, a handful (getting all the press apparently)
have shown the timing chain cover leakage issue. I have heard that possibly the root cause is/was the over
tightening of some of the bolts that secure the cover to the engine, resulting in their fracturing and losing the
ability to seal the cover to its gasket and the engine.

If 850 vehicles were affected, this would represent ~1% of the US Macan population - through 2018. Fewer, <1%,
more, >1%.

It would be interesting just how many Macans have shown this issue. The same for transfer case replacement.

My 2017 MacanGTS just came back from the dealer having spent time there for both the timing chain cover and the transfer case issue...
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Our Macan is in for a combo timing chain cover and transfer case service.

Here's the source of the leak at the top left-side corner of the cover. Note the 'loose' bolt...

except, it's not a loose bolt.
The following users liked this post:
russw (08-09-2020)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

The timing chain cover uses dozens of these Torx socket head bolts. They are made of aluminum. The bolt above snapped in half right at the gasket. It was the bolt snapping that caused the leak.

Apparently these M6 bolts are a torque-to-a-low-spec (8 n-m) plus 90-degrees. The standard torque for a steel grade 8 M6 is 10 n-m. That 90 degrees probably puts it at 15+ n-m which is breaking territory for a steel bolt.

Aluminum bolts. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

When this job is done out-of-warranty by an Indy, I'm gonna bet good-ole-fashioned steel bolts go in.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:46 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm no lawyer.
But, You sign to perform the work. Allowing them to do the job.
Then you sign to pick up the car for work performed.
If your car is close to end of warranty and you are questioning the repair was done correctly?
Should you be signing off on the papers, that the repair is good?
Could you leave the file open until there is proof of the repair? So don't sign and close the repair order.
My friend left his Audi repair order on an A6 for over a year while they chased an electrical issue.
It took them that long to find it.
If you are at the end of your warranty, would you not look for extra assurance?

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)