Notices

996 vs 997 cup running costs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 vs 997 cup running costs, etc.

In my search for a 996 cup I have also encountered a 997. I was told the maintenance on a 996 is $6K to $8K per year. Motors can go 150 hours if driven at 9.5/10th's. Can someone direct me to a post that describes the difference in running costs between the two? I searched in this section but am not seeing anything specific to what I am asking although I am sure it exists.

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 PM
jcastle
Racer

sequential gearbox and tires are the biggest difference. 996 has ABS so less chance of flat spotting tires. Sequential gearbox rebuilds can be more frequent and expensive. If you're good with the throttle blip, both gearboxes will hold up, but you should expect 2x longer life from the 996. If you beat up the gearbox, both will need frequent $$$ rebuilds. Invest 20-25k in ABS and Paddleshift for 997 and the running costs will be more reasonable, but then you have to run in GTA2 with GT3R/RSR and other modified cars that are much faster. Some 997 3.6 owners have reported going up to 150 engine hours before rebuild, but most recommend rebuild at 60-80hrs.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Motors are identical between the two.
Cant get parts for 996, easy for 7​​​​.
7 gearbox lasts fine especially wirh blipper.
Ran 17000 km withput blipper in my 07 for example.
7 is cheap, 6 expensive and headed higher due to very low total production.
I would pick 7 to race, 6 as collectible as a result.
Let me know if you have additional questions...
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Depends in how much you run, but even doing 6 events per year and doing your own labor you will be well over 6 to 8k in upkeep costs.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a '05 and just bought a '09 CUP. I was holding back purchasing the 7 because I was afraid of the running costs.
My friend has been running and maintaining 4 997 CUPS for over 5 years now. He opened up the service records for me and it really surprised me how reasonable the costs had been. The engine in his own car has 120 hours on it, my engine has 60.
I think the expensive gearbox rebuilds on the 7 are due to either a.) Mi$$handling or b.) following the supercup based maintenance program

I totally agree with Glen; 7 for driving, 6 for collectible. That's exactly what I did.

That said, the 7 is just so much more car...a true race car.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I spoke to someone in Denver that most people trust with cups. His opinion is the 997 is roughly 2x the cost to maintain as a 996 due to gearbox and no ABS. He said the motors are bullet proof but the 997 is only a second a lap faster due to sequential and not worth the extra cost to maintain.

The other concern is living in Denver and traveling to only 2 or 3 big races a year (RA, COTA, Glen, Sebring, etc.) is there going to be much competition in GTC4 versus GTC3 in my "local area"? Seems like there are many more 3s than 4s after a quick look at the PCA results even in the big races.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

A general point on running costs, if you do not do close competition it makes sense to run used slicks. They are readily available and tend to cost about 1/3 with about 70% life remaining. If you find a reputable source, this will drastically cut your costs.

On the other hand, with Cup cars you don't wait until things break. Make sure you keep up with preventative maintenance and don't cut corners.

I went through the same process and ended up with a 2004 Cup. Purchase is indeed now higher than early 997 but they are simpler cars and running costs will be lower.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:29 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

I have 2003 cup with brand new motor, gear box, clutch and lots of other things for sale. $90k.

FYI: Running costs are a lot more than what you mentioned if you maintain them properly. And I doubt that motors run 150 hours without losing significant power.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...up-2003-a.html
Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I have 2003 cup with brand new motor, gear box, clutch and lots of other things for sale. $90k.

FYI: Running costs are a lot more than what you mentioned if you maintain them properly. And I doubt that motors run 150 hours without losing significant power.
great car
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Can you please elaborate on what you mean with "maintaining properly"?

Factory maintenance program and service intervals were made for pro racing (supercup etc.) where a technical failure is not an option.
Following it is very expensive.

For club level racing it makes little sense to replace perfectly fine components "just to be sure".

For club level racing:
After every race:
- Change engine oil and filters
- Change gearbox oil and filter
- Change brake fluid
- Replace worn brake pads and discs
- Check all driveline and suspension components for wear and play
- etc.

After every season:
- Leak down and compression test on engine
- Oil analysis for both engine and gearbox.
- More thorough check up (driveline, suspension etc.)
- Service shocks

Other parts, replace as they wear out or break.

What more maintenance do you really need to do?
The engines are proven to be good to up to 150-200hrs. If leakdown and compression tests show they are in perfect condition and no bearing material found in oil...why go and tear it up at 60hours just because factory did this so that there is absolutely no chance of engine breaking during a supercup race?

Everyone is saying the maintenance is high on these car, but I just can't see how?

Comparing the 6CUP and 7CUP, the only big difference (maintenance wise) is the gearbox. But a full gearbox rebuild is "just" 15k and you are good to go for the next 10 years of club racing, so calculate 1,5k/year for the gearbox. It just doesn't add up.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Add to the maintenance:

Shock Rebuilds
Suspension wear (monoballs, control arms, etc)
Caliper Rebuilds
Wheel Bearings

Be grateful u dont have a 991. They want us to throw away out steering racks every 30 hours...

Having serviced 996s, 997s, and up, it more depends upon the driver than anything. A good driver in a 997 that can shift properly will be fine. I guy that cant shift in a 996 will have tranny issues. Many of the 996 parts on the car are somewhat scarce for Club racing per the rules, but if the rules were a little more flexible for silly things then reasonable fairly priced equivalent alternatives could be used. But cost of maintenance anymore for either car I would say is about the same. In some ways the 996 is even less expensive.

Last edited by Viperbob1; 06-14-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:14 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

As for maintenance, I am not a super cup team. However, I only get to do a few events a year and the last thing I want if for a timed out component to break ruining my weekend and maybe someone else's.

If others want to get extra hours out of their suspensions/other timed out parts and don't mind watching from the paddock while I am on track, that's their decision. I do not understand why people buy these cars and then skimp on maintenance.

Over the years, I have learned it is cheaper to maintain than repair. To the OP, neither car is going to be cheap to properly maintain.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
As for maintenance, I am not a super cup team. However, I only get to do a few events a year and the last thing I want if for a timed out component to break ruining my weekend and maybe someone else's.

If others want to get extra hours out of their suspensions/other timed out parts and don't mind watching from the paddock while I am on track, that's their decision. I do not understand why people buy these cars and then skimp on maintenance.

Over the years, I have learned it is cheaper to maintain than repair. To the OP, neither car is going to be cheap to properly maintain.
I'm not advising to skimp on maintenance, just asking what people think makes the 997 so much more expensive to maintain than the 996??

From the 997 CUP service manual:

That's all that the service manual lists as "timed parts".

So yeah, if you are rebuilding your gearbox every 30hours and your engine every 50hours, then it gets expensive. Other than that, normal racecar maintenance IMHO.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Juha G:
I think "John H" already answered your question regarding what I mean by proper maintenance. I just want to reiterate the point to the benefit of the OP.

I also don't want my weekend ruined because of expected mechanical failures. I replace and repair whatever my race shop recommends. You got to have a team/shop that you trust in order do this.

My advice to any potential cup owner is that if you are going to "worry" about how much everything costs, don't buy a cup car. Although I know of some friends who are able to maintain/race their cup cars with reasonable budgets, I suspect that this is not the common experience. my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 996 vs 997 cup running costs, etc.