Sponsored by:

New Cup Fits Like a Glove

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Cant run ABS in PCA unless you want to race in GTA3, and then you'll be racing against 991 GT3Rs and people like Cory Friedman :-)
ABS has been decided. I will be going the POC route.

Originally Posted by raclaims
When you are threshold braking in a cup...the lights are way too fast for you to react to...and first time in a cup on old rubber is a GREAT way to learn about retubbing your car.

If you buy a cup...do not ever go cheap on the rubber...you will regret it.

Already bought the Cup. I spoke with my shop today. It has been decided. We are installing ABS before first run. We are going with Teves or Motorsport. I think the Teves system installed is $7,500 and the Motorsport fully adjustable system is 10K and change.

So far as rubber, we have access to very low heat cycle rubber we can use for practice. I am told we are very good to go for up to 6ish heat cycles, so we are paying very good price, and I am told we would be trowing money away otherwise. Do you have practice tires or do you use new tires for every heat cycle?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
And by the way, if you are new to cups you should absolutely install ABS...it's easy to burn up tires and tubs learning a cup...add the ABS...learn the car...if you want you can then remove it and sell it for little or no loss...
YES

and to OP there are no good low HC slicks. i been through that route.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:22 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

congrats on the Cup.

It is on my "to do" list.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Bosch is worth the extra money. Very nice kit for the 991. It seems like Porsche designed the car to have the bosch kit installed.

Good luck with the new ride! You will have a blast.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
YES

and to OP there are no good low HC slicks. i been through that route.
I should have called this the "Do I need ABS for a Cup" thread

Thanks and we are going to add the ABS.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
congrats on the Cup.

It is on my "to do" list.
Thank you very much.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
So far as rubber, we have access to very low heat cycle rubber we can use for practice. I am told we are very good to go for up to 6ish heat cycles, so we are paying very good price, and I am told we would be trowing money away otherwise. Do you have practice tires or do you use new tires for every heat cycle?
You plan on Yokos or Pirelli? We have had great luck with the Pirelli and little fall off up to 9-10 heat cycles. The Yokos seem to fall way off after 6. Also the good stuff Yokos are about $3k a set. I would recommend Pirelli and probably scrubs for the first few practice days. While you will have ABS, you can still flatspot in one session with a spin. Get use to the car then go new. You plan to race any particular series?
Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have ABS in my 12 not in the 16
I have the Bosch and it's very good
I have teves in my cayman and it's also good

As for used rubber...that's where you are throwing away money not on new. So some guy wears them out and rather than throw them away you will pay for them?? Are you kidding me?

I pretty much always used Michelin for the 12 but the Yokohamas for the 16 have been excellent...but don't fool yourself into thinking you are getting a lot of use out of cup car tires.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 PM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by coryf
Bosch is worth the extra money. Very nice kit for the 991. It seems like Porsche designed the car to have the bosch kit installed.

Good luck with the new ride! You will have a blast.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I think the Bosch is the way to go with the adjustability, etc. My coach races GT1 and uses the Bosch and showed me all the ways it can be dialed in down the road.

Thanks, I look forward to reporting this journey.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
You plan on Yokos or Pirelli? We have had great luck with the Pirelli and little fall off up to 9-10 heat cycles. The Yokos seem to fall way off after 6. Also the good stuff Yokos are about $3k a set. I would recommend Pirelli and probably scrubs for the first few practice days. While you will have ABS, you can still flatspot in one session with a spin. Get use to the car then go new. You plan to race any particular series?

They are the Pirelli with the round dot wear indicators. We can also inspect the tires to make sure they are still soft, etc to get an ideal of the quality. I am new to this, so I am processing all the information that I can. I do have a driving coach and I have a shop that supports all aspects of the car for me. So, it is not like I am buying used tires and trailing the thing out there myself. Car is nut/bolt checked prior to every track outing. Cup will be taken to the track for me with spares and extra wheels/tires. I have a driving coach. There will be techs there to take temp reading, be adjusting the camber, etc. These guys do what needs to be done.

I am West coast and initially I will be working my way through Porsche Owners Club, I have several events for training for the rest of this year. Then I go to the POC Racers clinics in Oct this year and Feb next year. After that will initially start out with POC races, they are 13/13. Again, lots of coaching, practice, PDS, TA, etc. In fact, my next 3 track days this month are in my personal car (TTS) with my coach before we even touch the Cup. Gives us time to get my ABS, etc.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful input. I really look forward to meeting all the West Coast folks initially.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by trader247; 06-09-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: New Cup Fits Like a Glove