Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Cup Ownership: Self Supporting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok, now that I read that back, Topp saved me, so that's not really self supporting is it. Lol, ok, that irony isn't lost on me.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Even the best self supporters have to reach out for help sometimes. No harm in that. When I've been alone I've had many east coast shops go out of their way to be incredibly nice and help me out. That's what makes this community so fantastic.

Stu
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Bill Farrell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan Jacobs has saved me MANY times (part supply, advice, fueling). I agree with Stu - we are so fortunate to have great Shops with Awesome Owners !
Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Just a couple tidbits from running the cup this last weekend...

You don't need safety collars or expensive jack stands for just changing tires.
Never used any of those to change wheels. Lift car with airjacks, and change one wheel at the time. I never leave the car in the air for extended periods of time on the jacks with wheels removed.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Found that after 12 race weekends, ( some times in one year, two or even 3 years for me sometimes) Axels are replaced, (we pull the blacks apart) and they are worn. Then also the W/B need to be replaced. Generally they don't look good when they come out. Its no fun doing either at the track..

Old 03-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a great bunch of guys at the track that are always willing to help. You just have to ask if you need something. I have been on both ends of needing something, and able to offer parts to get guys back running. All good....
Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 AM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lost an axle, it broke on the part which goes through the upright / bearing, just inside the wheel mounting stub axle. Result was the rear wheel coming off which did about $10,000+ in damage. Apparently 3-wheeled cup cars are not the optimal design. For some reason now, axles scare me.....
Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I love the idea of self supporting a Porsche factory built race car, and i have seen it done.

Reminds me of when I used to self support my D.E car.
I used to work like a dog onloading and off loading the trailer.
Tire changes. Brake changes. Refueling etc.

I can imagine a Cup being a larger work load.

Running a race car now, I cant imagine trying to self support it between all the trucking, trailering, wrenching, refueling, drivers meetings, pit stops, driving etc.
For D.E perhaps.

My hats off to those that do.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by chrcook
When I lost an axle, it broke on the part which goes through the upright / bearing, just inside the wheel mounting stub axle. Result was the rear wheel coming off which did about $10,000+ in damage. Apparently 3-wheeled cup cars are not the optimal design. For some reason now, axles scare me.....
Had the same experience. It wasn't even my 996 Cup car when it happened. Luckily not that much damage.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I love the idea of self supporting a Porsche factory built race car, and i have seen it done.

Reminds me of when I used to self support my D.E car.
I used to work like a dog onloading and off loading the trailer.
Tire changes. Brake changes. Refueling etc.

I can imagine a Cup being a larger work load.

Running a race car now, I cant imagine trying to self support it between all the trucking, trailering, wrenching, refueling, drivers meetings, pit stops, driving etc.
For D.E perhaps.

My hats off to those that do.
IMHO, doing this while racing is just crazy. In our team we make sure the driver only has 1 thing to think about: race the car. All the rest should be taken care of by other people. You can't be 100% focused if you are thinking about stuff like "did I check the oil level before getting the car on the grid? Are the brake pads still good enough?" etc etc.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chrcook
Many times this can occur when the upright area that holds the bearing begins to fatigue. Its difficult to find because when cool it tightens up only showing up when heat soak occurs. Most breaks near outer cv/axle stub can be traced to needing new upright.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I self support my 996 cup since I bought it in 2009, and go with 4 or 5 other friends who self support their spb's, 944 spec. I think the 944 guys work on their cars at the track more than I work on mine (at the track). I do prep it well to avoid any issues I can, and I truly enjoy working on the car. I think if you're mechanically inclined and enjoy doing it, you can self support just fine.

I certainly wouldn't discount the value of a good shop supporting your car, though. These are complex, setup critical cars that really do benefit from careful attention and fettling; an area where any self supporter may fall short due to lack of time. Also, I have been lucky to have good shops behind me for the things I can't do or figure out, like Autometrics, Zotz, and CPT.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

It's one thing to be intimately familiar with your racecar but it's a different thing to do everything yourself.

There's a definite limit to your time at each event. At any given point you can only do so much as driver, engineer or mechanic. I didn't have a proper mechanic in my early days and each time i tested the cup I was distracted with temps, pressures, heat cycles, warning lights and what not. It got to a point where I could clearly tell my problem: I could not, and should not be engineer mechanic AND driver at the same time.

If budget allows, I would strongly recommend sharing the resources of a crew with your buddies. It allows you to focus on driving and learning
Old 03-15-2017, 02:42 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

if I didnt have shop support probably would have missed 25% of race time for various reasons cant say enough about shop support. Autometrics or Zotz are great
Old 03-18-2017, 04:04 PM
cwcsvt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. I am in search of car at the moment. Had a GT4 track prepped, but seller has now backed out of deal. Looking for a great car, if possible on the west coast. Have some track time under my belt and would love to get some more starting next month. Ideally I am entering some races by the summer. If anyone knows of some cars for sale, I would be interested. Please message me and I can respond. Back to reading this entire thread. Have a great weekend!

Quick Reply: Cup Ownership: Self Supporting