Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM
ORBIT
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 Sequential Gearbox

This gearbox is being removed from a 996 Cup Car that was running a sequential gearbox, GT3RS engine, and 997 Cup suspension. We are putting this car back to original so many additional parts will be available.

The car has not been used since purchased from a buyer on Rennlist. I expect to find all the internal parts in excellent condition as this was supposed to be a newly rebuilt gearbox. I will take apart and inspect everything. I will disclose every detail about this gearbox. If all I have to do is take apart the gearbox and inspect everything the price will be $20k. If I take it apart and it is not in very good condition I will price it accordingly. If you are interested and want different ratios or a complete rebuild with new ring and pinion, etc. - I am open to discussions.

At least it is clean coming out of the car, there is a good chance it will be a good one!

Please contact Rodger@orbitracing.com
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
ORBIT
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gear Ratios

This gearbox is geared with shorter gears than stock.

1. 15/33 2.2
2. 17/30 1.76
3. 19/29 1.52
4. 22/29 1.318
5. 23/27 1.17
6. 27/28 1.03

All the Gears have been replaced with new gears purchased from Hollinger. Third and Fourth gears are the widest spec gears found in the 2012-2013 gearboxes.

Rodger@orbitracing.com
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Might have a customer for this. I'll send him directly to you.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey rodger
looks like you have an early version box with the extra wide gears ,these are the good ones.the first 996 RSR had the extra wide gears and they were tough,the finish may look rough compared to the current versions with there shot-peened surface.If the dogs are not beat up and there is no pitting on
the teeth the gear is good ,they last forever compared to the modern thin gears,they are even wider than the 2012 wide 3rd and 4th.only the shorter 3rd ratios ,shorter than the cup std.3rd 1.722,have a chance of breaking under normal racing ,a realy bad downshift can break any gear.You can still get these gears from Holinger with the new finish and they are the best.This trans looks like it was geared originaly for Daytona then had a shorter 5th and 6th put in to use at normal tracks like Sebring od Atlanta ,looks like a Tony Dow crazy Daytona pick with a useable first gear .Tony was the most creative gear picker .Legendary.
good luck with this ,Brian @ BMC&GEE
Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BMCGEE
hey rodger
looks like you have an early version box with the extra wide gears ,these are the good ones.the first 996 RSR had the extra wide gears and they were tough,the finish may look rough compared to the current versions with there shot-peened surface.If the dogs are not beat up and there is no pitting on
the teeth the gear is good ,they last forever compared to the modern thin gears,they are even wider than the 2012 wide 3rd and 4th.only the shorter 3rd ratios ,shorter than the cup std.3rd 1.722,have a chance of breaking under normal racing ,a realy bad downshift can break any gear.You can still get these gears from Holinger with the new finish and they are the best.This trans looks like it was geared originaly for Daytona then had a shorter 5th and 6th put in to use at normal tracks like Sebring od Atlanta ,looks like a Tony Dow crazy Daytona pick with a useable first gear .Tony was the most creative gear picker .Legendary.
good luck with this ,Brian @ BMC&GEE
Brian,

FYI,
I have a pile of the original Holinger G96.60 gears as well as some that Paul made after he fired Holinger. The ones made later have our proprietary tooth profile, which is miles ahead of Holinger's. The heat treat depth is also 10/1000ths greater than Holinger's.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Brian,

FYI,
I have a pile of the original Holinger G96.60 gears as well as some that Paul made after he fired Holinger. The ones made later have our proprietary tooth profile, which is miles ahead of Holinger's. The heat treat depth is also 10/1000ths greater than Holinger's.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
But ho is widest?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
But ho is widest?
See other thread. They are the same width. Truth be told the whole wide thing is rubbish in my opinion. As Brian indicated,the strength issue stems from ratio choice. That super short 1.722 3rd they spec'd is skinny between the bearing and root of the tooth.

Especially on a turbo car like yours, why not make 2nd and 3rd both taller than the stock Cup homologation ratios. That's what we did on Zwart's Pikes Peak car. He's running +/-800hp through his GT2RS engine on 2010 width gears (which are the same width as all GT3 street and 996 Cup gears). It's just a reasonable ratio versus this super short one used in the 997 Cups.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have custom gearing on mine and have had zero issue with Broken gears

Hollinger widest old rsr spec., but soon need new ones and then Guard is nr1 choise
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
McRae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Especially on a turbo car like yours, why not make 2nd and 3rd both taller than the stock Cup homologation ratios. That's what we did on Zwart's Pikes Peak car. He's running +/-800hp through his GT2RS engine on 2010 width gears (which are the same width as all GT3 street and 996 Cup gears). It's just a reasonable ratio versus this super short one used in the 997 Cups.
As Rickard said the gearing in his gearbox is much taller, so there's no problem with the usual thin 3rd gear. I can give you the gearing if you're interested, if Rickard is OK with it, he's the customer, so it's up to him.

Quick Reply: 997 Sequential Gearbox