Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Fastest qualifying slick tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh and the final nail in the coffin. It was Hankook who had those Super Secret Softs, not Yokohama. The AO50 has been the control tyre since after the WTAC of 2012 so absolutely no SSS's last year.

Thanks for playing.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

False. They came here with a048 several years ago. Tires blistered after one lap. Your information is still off. You contend that our TA cars are slow and undeveloped. I contend that your cup series is slow and undeveloped.

Let's see some times on the tracks that every runs on.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Haha...you just won't believe the truth. You hinge your 'proof' on something that is pretty much un-proveable until one of your nominated Cup drivers comes down here to match times against our drivers...and is what, 6 seconds faster on a 1:30 track. lol....see ya champ. Have a nice life.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
dass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run a is 997.1 cup at time attack events for a couple of years and have done OK. To compare a 420hp 1220kg Cupcar to a 700+hp 1100kg 4wd Evo /whatever with hideous looking aero /hammerhead. What the hell do the tires have to do with it ??
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well you are pretty much proving my point. I wasn't trying to compare Cup Cars to these cars in a realistic sense. They have two totally different purposes. To compare times is purely as a reference point to show just how fast these T.A. cars are. According to Wanna911 TA cars are no faster than Cup cars though so gee, perhaps the comparison is valid.

The OP was asking about what is the fastest Slick for a TA Nissan GTR. Looking at his build thread I was impressed and noted that it would be good to get him down here one year to compete against the best in this format. The caveat being that he would have to go 'back' to R spec rubber. That's when the 'discussion' about the validity of these R spec tyres began. All I can say is that we run on standard over the counter available R spec rubber and are as fast or faster than a Cup car on slicks. We don't have awd or 700whp either.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

more pew pew less QQ snoring
Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Haha...you just won't believe the truth. You hinge your 'proof' on something that is pretty much un-proveable until one of your nominated Cup drivers comes down here to match times against our drivers...and is what, 6 seconds faster on a 1:30 track. lol....see ya champ. Have a nice life.
Way to turn into a drama queen. There are tracks all over the world. And it is WORLD time attack right? So the relative times should be that way everywhere. Not that complicated..... It's no secret Time Attack have always tried to create their own little bubble. One way or another. And going to the furthest corner of the planet and calling it world time attack is a bit contradictory ya think?

BTW when did feelings start getting hurt?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Seriously? You do know the world isn't flat don't you? I know you guys can tend to get a bit US-centric but to lampoon the organisers down here calling it WTAC when you guys have the World's series baseball (I know it's a brand name but the perception rings through cleary) pretty much played by US teams only.

Anywho...if cars from the aforementioned countries (and some I left out) can be bothered to come down here and join in the fun what's the issue? Cars have entered from USA, UK, EU, Japan, NZ and here. What other TA event in the world has done this? That the event organisers have got off their butts and made it happen down here is to be applauded. The 'little bubble' is in some ways correct. Just like some guys that drive Cup Cars for example. They like to feel that they're breathing a more rarefied air. The main difference is one bubble has a Superior attitude and the other might have germinated from an inferior position.

You won't believe me that of the last couple of years there has been no SSSofts. On one hand you ridicule the TA concept as a waste of money on 1 lap wonders, yet don't accept that that they might be faster than a Cup Car. (For the record, I like Cup Cars and racing) You then imply that our Cups must be driven by incompetent nuff nuffs if they get beaten so comprehensively by the TA cars on R specs. Plus those TA cars that do beat the Cups are on such secret sauce that they could beat anything with these supposed cheating tyres. You also say that there's no way my particular car on R specs should stand a hope against a Cup car while we're on R specs and therefore that proves your point that our Cup cars are driven poorly. Even if that were true, if we are amateurs driving my car and these guys are local pros then don't you think that is a fair comparison? I mean how could a lowly 944 beat a Cup car AND on road legal R spec rubber?

So in effect you're pretty much dissing Time Attack as a format. World Time Attack being run outside of the US. Our local Cup cars and drivers. My car (not that I mind) and the Japanese TA scene as they are in collusion with event organisers to orchestrate the result. Quite the list.

No feelings hurt here. Finding it quite amusing actually. ;-)

Last edited by 333pg333; 08-20-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Seriously? You do know the world isn't flat don't you? I know you guys can tend to get a bit US-centric but to lampoon the organisers down here calling it WTAC when you guys have the World's series baseball (I know it's a brand name but the perception rings through cleary) pretty much played by US teams only.

Anywho...if cars from the aforementioned countries (and some I left out) can be bothered to come down here and join in the fun what's the issue? Cars have entered from USA, UK, EU, Japan, NZ and here. What other TA event in the world has done this? That the event organisers have got off their butts and made it happen down here is to be applauded. The 'little bubble' is in some ways correct. Just like some guys that drive Cup Cars for example. They like to feel that they're breathing a more rarefied air. The main difference is one bubble has a Superior attitude and the other might have germinated from an inferior position.

You won't believe me that of the last couple of years there has been no SSSofts. On one hand you ridicule the TA concept as a waste of money on 1 lap wonders, yet don't accept that that they might be faster than a Cup Car. (For the record, I like Cup Cars and racing) You then imply that our Cups must be driven by incompetent nuff nuffs if they get beaten so comprehensively by the TA cars on R specs. Plus those TA cars that do beat the Cups are on such secret sauce that they could beat anything with these supposed cheating tyres. You also say that there's no way my particular car on R specs should stand a hope against a Cup car while we're on R specs and therefore that proves your point that our Cup cars are driven poorly. Even if that were true, if we are amateurs driving my car and these guys are local pros then don't you think that is a fair comparison? I mean how could a lowly 944 beat a Cup car AND on road legal R spec rubber?

So in effect you're pretty much dissing Time Attack as a format. World Time Attack being run outside of the US. Our local Cup cars and drivers. My car (not that I mind) and the Japanese TA scene as they are in collusion with event organisers to orchestrate the result. Quite the list.

No feelings hurt here. Finding it quite amusing actually. ;-)
I only suggested the same thing about your cups that you suggested about our TA cars. The concepts are the same. Less development, less focus and emphasis on the particular discipline.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

And don't put words in my mouth, I said exactly what I meant. Not that I really care if you interpret that as some sort of diss. So what.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried out the new Hoosier slicks this past weekend and was not really impressed by the performance. I ran the S80 on the front and the S100 on the rear and the car just didn't feel as stable through the tight slow turns.
My best lap time on the new Hoosiers was a about 4-10ths slower than my best time on used Pirelli (5 heat cycles)
The Hoosiers where about $500 cheaper for a set of 4 tires but it's back to the Pirelli's for me, I prefer the performance of the Pirelli's in the slow corners.

my2cents worth.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Good post. Was curious over the new Hoosiers and wondered how much difference they might be vs the previous R80/100s. Had you tried them on your car?

I think if we make the switch to slicks next season we will be governed by what's available in size and compound. Looks like those Avons for Hillclimbs could be interesting. Also depends on how many laps you guys do per session. We often only do one outlap, 2 hots and a cooldown lap. In club events we would do a few more laps than that and you might be able to slow down after 2nd hot lap and bring the tyres back for one more crack but generally it's not any faster.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Good post. Was curious over the new Hoosiers and wondered how much difference they might be vs the previous R80/100s. Had you tried them on your car?

I think if we make the switch to slicks next season we will be governed by what's available in size and compound. Looks like those Avons for Hillclimbs could be interesting. Also depends on how many laps you guys do per session. We often only do one outlap, 2 hots and a cooldown lap. In club events we would do a few more laps than that and you might be able to slow down after 2nd hot lap and bring the tyres back for one more crack but generally it's not any faster.
I haven't tried the older R80/R100 Hoosiers, I didn't hear many good things about them. The newer S-series was suppose to be a big improvement, still more development work required by Hoosier Tire, in my opinion.

Typically session for me is a 20 to 30 minute sprint race, I can get a weekend (3 races) out of the Pirelli's before they start to loose grip. The Michelins start to drop off after the first race, at a very fast rate. The YoHo's are decent but I prefer the Pirelli overall, they seem to work best with my limited driving skills.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

What size and how much for a set of Pirellis if you don't mind me asking? You run a lot more tracktime than we do so I can see why you'd go through the tyres over a weekend. Assuming you run scrubs in practice or also on the new tyres? I haven't priced slicks for a while but I suspect around $650-$750 per corner so we pay a lot more than you guys I believe. However we would get more than a few weekends out of a set with the format of trackwork we do.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

What size and how much for a set of Pirellis if you don't mind me asking? You run a lot more tracktime than we do so I can see why you'd go through the tyres over a weekend. Assuming you run scrubs in practice or also on the new tyres? I haven't priced slicks for a while but I suspect around $650-$750 per corner so we pay a lot more than you guys I believe. However we would get more than a few weekends out of a set with the format of trackwork we do.

Here's what it cost me (US funds)yesterday for 2 sets of the PCA Spec Pirelli's from JX2 the official PCA supplier........

Item Size Qty Price Cost
P2015300 245/645-18 DH Slick PCA DH 4 $ 450.00 $ 1800.00
P2090800 305/680-18 DH Slick PCA DH 4 $ 541.00 $ 2164.00

State Sales Tax $ 193.83
County Sales Tax $ 51,50
City Sales Tax $ 61.50

Freight $ 160.00

Grand Total $ 4385.88
Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a couple of nice things to know about the Pirellis and JX2. They will ship for free to the track if they aren't attending the race. In my experience, Eric, there delivers great customer service. They have followed through even on race days to make sure deliveries made it.

The best part on the Pirellis is they last WAY longer than Michelins. There's no comparison. And not only do they last longer, after the 2nd heat cycle they don't go offer anywhere near the level of Michelins up to 12+ cycles. Just my experience.

11 Cup
11 RS
98 993 Cup
98 C2S
71 911T

Quick Reply: Fastest qualifying slick tire?