Sponsored by:

All Engines Stop! Hydro-lock?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:04 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default All Engines Stop! Hydro-lock?!

Hey all - need some help/input/debunking here! Please weigh in, especially if you know these air filters ie the oval ones.

Car - 996 05 CUP (not mine!) - running well and taken out for a alignment check etc... after some downtime.

Owner drove the car for roughly 30 minutes in normal rain and car was going great. Cold day but air temp around 12-14 degree C. It started hailing quiet hard for a few minutes and he had a slide in a slow corner on our track due to icyness/big camber. Car slowed and stopped there with engine running for 30s.

At this point the hail subsided and heavy rain was coming down - really bucketing. Driver powered down the straight after recovering from the slide and did not even complete a full lap before hearing a noise in the engine.

Took the car to workshop and after a few tests and dismantling they found that there was damage to one Big end bearing and Conrod - now we see conrod bolts are bent.

Most interestingly we found alot of water (at least 60ml when cool) in the primaries of exhaust manifold when dismantling the engine. All the signs point to Hydro-lock (water ontop of piston)!

Did not think this was possible ie water through the decklid and thru the filter sucked into the engine in this kind of volume ....
but maybe this is part of the reason for Porsche design team changing the air intake system to have an enclosed air filter enclosed (airbox as on the street and newer Cup cars).

Has this unfortunate event occurred to anybody else???
It sounds crazy but the car was running fine before ....
all input much appreciated - thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I guess I don't need to get Pirelli rain tires....
Old 06-25-2014, 02:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Chris I've driven mine in the wet a few times but never during heavy rain
and that day a few weeks back it was truly bucketing down!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting ........
There should be a water drain on the bottom of the carbon filter housing to prevent it from flooding.
Was this maybe blocked ? Can't heart to make this opening slightly bigger i guess for your next tsunami.

Would it help to close or change the decklid openings on top to reduce the water coming in ?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi , on 997 cup the air inlet has a hole under the air filter specially for rain conditions .
Last year we had a rainy race season ( remember my vid in Dijon ) and I never heard about water problems with 996 cups . That's strange .....
Old 06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks Laurent - it was hailing and hail may have blocked up the hole (which is small)

anyone else (bump)?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

there is a cup motor im aware of that had inspected out jus perfect and then went and ran a good bit at sebring in the winter in really solid rain, plus was in the humidity and moisture all week. s hortly thereafter developed some issues with the cylinders, etc. motor had to be rebuilt.
looked like, in the photos, like some foreign stuff got in there. like sand or grit. wonder what the lesson here might be?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Spg .... Bump Jon, Glen, JGJnr?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Thanks Spg .... Bump Jon, Glen, JGJnr?
I'm in So Cal. What's rain or hail for that matter?....
Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Fair nuff ... Explains the drought!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime you hydro lock an engine things get bent. Typically Rods. You say bolts are bent? Bolts don't bent from an over rev. They stretch and break. If they are bent, the only way I can think of this hapopeneing and the Rod bent as well, is from a hydro locking situtaion. And you say it was hailing real bad. If that didnt cause the damge then it can only be coolant or fuel. Did you lose coolant? The data will show if you lost coolant and the engine overheated? Typically the Cylinder pressure would push all of the water out by pressurizing the system. Or a Injector stuck open, but the engine would have run realaly bad. The data would show the lambda value going real rich too.

Or something fell into the Cylinder. Loose bolt from the Intake or part of the Intake manifold broke. You would see the damage on the Piston and or head. If none of these then you had bad luck with the rain.

Who drives in a hail storm.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:37 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks 42 ... your last point is spot on
Answer - impatient nit

Your other points are food for thought thanks!

Quick Reply: All Engines Stop! Hydro-lock?!