Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I took mine out and never looked back. Much cooler and fresh air aids the feeling of getting sick. I have widow nets on both sides and I also believe the noise level is less with the windows open than with them in. Personal preference again but only issue is in a down pour.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 152 Posts

180 ???? that's insane... hot enough to cook your lungs
Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I could never bring myself to cut out my windows.
Anybody have a picture of their windows cut out and replaced with fasteners?

Are there events that require windows to be removed?
Agreed, love to see pic
Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok I live in Tampa and mostly always hot in car
mine came with passenger window in and none on driver side

I have run it like this and all is fine so guess I am in the middle?!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Heinlein Racing
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet is removing the window and install fasteners to put it back in. It will give you the option of running without the window on hot days, or in a DE situation and you can install it again for travel, rain, qualify or any other situation where you might want it in. Running no window, you should consider a window net. (So far nobody talked about the most important job of your side window) Remember that window is there for your safety as well!! Not just aero! It will keep your arms inside and parts/debris out! Much more important then wind noise...
You can also install NACA ducts in your quarter windows for air flow if that's your goal.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points. I already told my mechanic to give me a price to remove and clean them up. I'll probably have to figure out the fasteners for the temp install myself. Any advice on that? I hate to drill holes in the frame for Zeus fasteners but that might be the only way. Small ones maybe.

Window net is likely a must. I see a lot of guys run a mid ship triangular net too. Who makes the best of both?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default PCA bans removable side windows in cups

Had an interesting conversation with a scrut at Summit Point this weekend. OEM side windows are bonded to the door. My windows appear to be non-OEM and screws into the door. PCA rules say one must have a window net but that cups may keep their OEM windows instead. I interpret that to be PCA's recognition that if it's good enough for Porsche it's good enough for PCA.

BUT, if the windows are not OEM then the exemption from the window net rule does not apply, scut asserts. Safety issue. Not sure I agree with the safety point, but I need to install a window net.

Who can point me to a model window net that will be easy to install before Monticello in less than two weeks?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
aspenripper
Advanced

I will be home later and can show you my setup. Can be done for under a 100$. Windows out are way better in my opinion. I can snap some pics and get them to you.
Ed
Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ed. The best approach I've found thus far is the Schroth kit:
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 05:39 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I HATE those seatbelt-buckle mounts, you will put a hole in your skull if you get in or our with no helmet.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
aspenripper
Advanced

That kit is nice but anything with hose clamps holding any part of window netting is generally not allowed. Nice because no welding but obviously not very strong. I have no idea if they are PCA legal. SCCA club and pro they are a no go.
Ed
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
John@DSM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I HATE those seatbelt-buckle mounts, you will put a hole in your skull if you get in or our with no helmet.
Got 9 staples in my skull at Summit Point last year from my old buckle mount....
We have found the Race Quip spring loaded window net bars to be the best. Very small tabs to hit and the spring loading makes it easy to install. We use an aircraft cable and clear tubing around the door bars.

As for windows, sometimes with, sometimes without. Heat is a big issue, but if it's raining........
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aspenripper
That kit is nice but anything with hose clamps holding any part of window netting is generally not allowed. Nice because no welding but obviously not very strong. I have no idea if they are PCA legal. SCCA club and pro they are a no go.
Ed
PCA says: "The method of attachment can be brackets bolted around the upper window frame. The use of plastic tie raps, straps or elastic cords is not allowed."

As you note, SCCA is clear on the point: "Nets shall be attached to the roll cage; plastic buckles, cable ties, hose clamps, and elastic cords are not permitted. Holes in the roll cage to accommodate either support rod are unacceptable unless bushed and welded completely."

Looks like PCA says hose clamps are ok.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John@DSM
Got 9 staples in my skull at Summit Point last year from my old buckle mount....
We have found the Race Quip spring loaded window net bars to be the best. Very small tabs to hit and the spring loading makes it easy to install. We use an aircraft cable and clear tubing around the door bars.
Please explain more how you mount. Do you weld those tabs to the roll bar?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 PM
John@DSM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes tabs are welded to cage on top, but they are small flanges with like a 5/8" hole.

Quick Reply: Side Windows