Sponsored by:

Towing Racecar with Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoD
Ive towed with three different Cayennes, two were great and one was terrible!

We used to tow with an 04 Cayenne S, then an 04 Cayenne Turbo and now with a 2011 Cayenne S. The older body Cayenne's were fantastic, the newer 11 + cayennes are not great tow vehicles. With each car I was towing the same 20ft aluminum featherlite. I couldnt understand at first why the newer truck was terrible to tow with then I realized Porsche made them smaller and lighter.

Ive learned over time after towing with these three trucks and several Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks that tow capacity doesnt mean all that much. Its more the size of the truck, tongue weight, and drivetrain. This was the first year I towed with the 2011 Cayenne and honestly it scared me enough times that ill be investing in a pickup truck next year. First of all its noticeably smaller than the earlier (pre 08) versions. It makes it harder to see around the trailer, secondly the reduced weight and wheelbase make it more unstable under braking and higher speed (above 65) towing.

Do yourselves a favor and refrain from towing with a newer Cayenne. Its not worth risking your lives. Towing accidents usually end up with very severe injuries and ive realized after a handful of tows this year that I need something bigger (even for my 20ft aluminum trailer).
I could not disagree more. It has more to due with Cayenne suspension type (get air suspension) and tire type. Tall side wall tires allow the trailer to wag the tow vehicle more than the low profile tires on my GTS Cayenne. My Cayenne tows better that the Denali and Jeeps that I have had.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
MoD, I just looked up the numbers and they don't coincided with what you report. So it must be something else.

04 S WB- 112.4 L- 188.2 W- 75.9 Wt.- 4950-5650 lbs depending on options

13 S WB- 114 L- 190.8 W- 76.3 Wt.- 6173 lbs according to Motortrend

So they actually got bigger and heavier.
Strange! I stressed my issue to the dealer and that was their response. I really should have checked the weights. Ill tell you what though, I really have scared myself more than once in the new Cayenne S. Its been bad enough that im looking for a newer pickup truck for next year. Ive just realized that its simply a smart decision to tow with a dedicated tow vehicle. I was on the fence until I saw the recent tragic trailer accident reports on here and decided it just wasnt worth the risk to not get a bigger vehicle.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Having towed with both A Cayenne and a pick up, I will say I tend to agree with MoD. While the Cayenne has the power and capacity, in some situations you feel as the the tail is wagging the dog. A good pickup has the girth and length for stability not to mention extra storage if needed. You should look to stay under capacity as much as possible and balance the car with the trailer as well as you can. Hopefully the Cayenne has the air suspension which make the leveling easier. I will say that once you go pickup you will never look back.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bottom line is the Cayenne is a more than capable tow vehicle, but there are better....

Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For across country long hauls and if I want to tow a bigger trailer with more stuff in it, like maybe a 4x4 and dirtbikes, mountain bikes as well as a race car I am thinking of buying one of these.

http://southcentralsportchassis.com/...ssis_main6.jpg

The Cayenne towing is when I want to do a quick run out to a track that is withing a couple hundred miles.

It's getting to be that time to make the next dream a reality. This one has been on the back burner for about 20 years. I ain't getting any younger.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

The new Cs with pasm set on sport at normal ride height is awesome if you stay below the rated tow weight, don't go too long on trailer, keep the speed reasonable and respect the cross winds. It is a compromise; just beware of that.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I started towing with a '09 Cayenne TTS this past year and after practically every trip felt that it was a better tow vehicle than the '02 Excursion it replaced in the garage.

I'm with Bob, PASM and big tires, great vehicle.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be crazy but I think you guys are missing a subtle point that the suspension and tires on your tow vehicle are the most important just like on your race car. I would suggest that Tow vehicle weight and wheel base are secondary.

So you can not compare vehicles unless tires and suspension are the same or at least similar. A Cayenne s with 18" with 255/55X18 are not going to resist trailer wag like a 295/30X21 tire, never mine air suspension on sport/low, that are available on Cayennes like the GTS orTTS . There are better but who wants to drive a dually every day.

JMO

bob
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
MoD, I just looked up the numbers and they don't coincided with what you report. So it must be something else.

04 S WB- 112.4 L- 188.2 W- 75.9 Wt.- 4950-5650 lbs depending on options

13 S WB- 114 L- 190.8 W- 76.3 Wt.- 6173 lbs according to Motortrend

So they actually got bigger and heavier.
To be clear:
They 2nd generation Cayenne got "lighter" by about 550 lbs (on average on the same like models) due to ditching the fully locking 4wd system in favor of AWD system (to save weight). Wheelbase grew by 1.6" and track stayed the basically the same.

2008 Cayenne S
385 hp
5,115 lb
112.4" wheel base
64.9 front track
65.4 rear track
7,716 tow rating

2012 Cayenne S
400 hp
4,553 lbs
114" wheel base
64.7 front track
65.2 rear track.
7,716 tow rating

The Gen 1 Cayenne should be a more stable tow vehicle, simply due to the extra weight. Regardless the Cayenne (or any similar SUV) is a good tow vehicle for loads up to 5,000 lbs. Once you cross over the weight of the vehicle your trailer makes the rules. When you go from open to enclosed you add in the impact of wind and aero drag as well which really impact your towing capacity.

So the bigger your trailer the bigger your tow vehicle. To be safe, the longer the wheel base, wider the track and heavier the tow vehicle, the better chance you have of winning the battle with the trailer when something goes awry! When it comes to tow vehicles and safety, bigger is better!

7,716 load rating - this is an interesting topic to consider since there was no adopted standard measurement for the industry on how they come up with their load ratings. So they simply make them up based on what their competitors are doing, not based on safety or the vehicles ability to tow to a set standard!

SAE developed a standard set of acceleration, braking and hill climb tests. Chevrolet and Toyota both adopted the SAE standard in 2010, no other truck or SUV mfg. did. Both Chevy and toyota tow ratings dropped (20-25% based on the vehicle), even thought their trucks were same year to year. Toyota Sequoia dropped from 10,000 lb rating to 7,400 - no changes to the truck, just measured in real world performance and safety tests and the result was a new level of "safe" towing. So if you apply that 20-25% drop in rating to the Cayenne your tow rating would be 5,300 - 6,200 lbs.

Today Toyota continues to put out all vehicle tow ratings based on the SAE standard. Chevrolet jumped off the band wagon in 2010 as Ford and Dodge were claiming higher tow ratings and that hurt at the dealer sales level! All agreed to go with SAE in 2013 for all light trucks and SUV's - but Ford jumped off in 2013 saying they would only do it for "new" models - pushing it off for the F150 to 2015. Dodge quickly followed and then GM had to abandon plans to honor the agreement and reprint truck manuals as well as marketing material with the old standard.

Article on SAE standard:
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t/viewall.html

Here is another article about J2807 truck towing standard and the current stalemate amongst all the 1/2 ton truck manufacturors waiting for the others to start using the standard. Toyota does, no others do. They claim 10,000 lbs - but can they back it up?

link: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...wing_standard/

When it comes to towing all is well, until it is not, and then you will wish you bought a dually!

Last edited by supercup; 10-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing Racecar with Cayenne