Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Towing Racecar with Cayenne

Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Racecar with Cayenne

I've seen that some of you guys use your Cayennes to tow your Cup cars. I have a light weight open tilt trailer and I'm sure my GTS that is on the way will handle that with my Cup just fine. But what I'm curious about is if I want to get an enclosed trailer how big I can go and still pull it safely? I think towing capacity is almost 8Klbs, so I could just use that to go by, but I'm fishing for some real world experience with commentary.

Cheers
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Towing capacity of the Cayenne (all models equipped with factory tow package) is 7716 pounds. I believe tongue weight restriction is just over 600 pounds. I tow my 24' enclosed Haulmark trailer with my 2008 Cayenne GTS (with a 6-speed manual transmission no less) with absolutely no problem. Also pulled same trailer with my 2006 Cayenne Turbo and my 2004 Cayenne S. All no problems at all. You need a brake controller that will work with the towing control unit and LED lights on some trailer packages have been problematic in past iterations of the Cayenne.

There is PLENTY of information about Cayenne's and towing in the Cayenne forum. Just be prepared before you ask questions there. Many of us have been around Cayennes since they were introduced in the US. We can be a bit cynical!

Toby
Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
I've seen that some of you guys use your Cayennes to tow your Cup cars. I have a light weight open tilt trailer and I'm sure my GTS that is on the way will handle that with my Cup just fine. But what I'm curious about is if I want to get an enclosed trailer how big I can go and still pull it safely? I think towing capacity is almost 8Klbs, so I could just use that to go by, but I'm fishing for some real world experience with commentary.

Cheers
You will be limited to an aluminum enclosed trailer to stay within the Cayenne towing capacity. Just be sure you are realistic about the weight of your car, tires, spares, tools, etc.... You will also need mirror extensions. Installation of a brake controller to work the electric trailer brakes is easy.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 PM
modifier
Instructor

I posted here to get straight to the towing racecar aspect rather than just general towing. 24 foot was about what I was thinking so good info.

I ordered the towing package but I gather it does not come with an electric brake controller? You think it would for the price and the towing capacity. Not to mention not wanting to have a generic control unit bolted under the dash.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You will be limited to an aluminum enclosed trailer to stay within the Cayenne towing capacity. Just be sure you are realistic about the weight of your car, tires, spares, tools, etc.... You will also need mirror extensions. Installation of a brake controller to work the electric trailer brakes is easy.
Frank, my experiences with my 24' Haulmark would provide something of a counter. Even with a Cup, scooter, 2 tire sets and tools in the trailer, I've not exceeded the Cayenne's weight limits. Yes, you have to pay attention to proper loading/balancing and you absolutely must have a brake controller (I use a Tekonsha - NOT the Prodigy digital one though), but I have not overloaded the vehicle. My trailer weighs just over 3000 pounds empty, so it is most definitely not an aluminum one. YMMV

Toby
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff

Frank, my experiences with my 24' Haulmark would provide something of a counter. Even with a Cup, scooter, 2 tire sets and tools in the trailer, I've not exceeded the Cayenne's weight limits. Yes, you have to pay attention to proper loading/balancing and you absolutely must have a brake controller (I use a Tekonsha - NOT the Prodigy digital one though), but I have not overloaded the vehicle. My trailer weighs just over 3000 pounds empty, so it is most definitely not an aluminum one. YMMV

Toby
Got it! I figured that enclosed steel trailers plus all if the usual racing junk were much heavier.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow my 04 cup two sets of tires ,spares tools etc with my 13 Cayenne GTS. Trailex enclosed. It tows effortlessly in 6th gear on cruise at 75-80 . The air suspension with the 295 tires has a lot to due with IMO. I'm certain it would tow a heavier enclosed as power is never and issue. BTW even in heavy wind the trailer never wags the cayenne. Get the prodigy rf controller, best I have had. Plug and play no wiring needed , 10 min install.
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 10-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:24 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I would check the weight of a 24 steel/alum trailer as the 20' weights over 3000. I tow a 20' v-nose ATC with my PASM equiped 2011 CS. i figure it weights in all loaded at about 7000 to 7500. That is 3k for the trailer, 3k for the car and 1k to 1.5k in tool box, 2 set sheels/tires, boxes of spares/stuff and fuel. I put the suspension on sport and adjust the ride height to the middle normal setting and it tows great. Just respect cross winds and overall speed. As was said the way you balance the weight is pretty important.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:54 PM
modifier
Instructor

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
I tow my 04 cup two sets of tires ,spares tools etc with my 13 Cayenne GTS. Trailex enclosed. It tows effortlessly in 6th gear on cruise at 75-80 . The air suspension with the 295 tires has a lot to due with IMO. I'm certain it would tow a heavier enclosed as power is never and issue. BTW even in heavy wind the trailer never wags the cayenne. Get the prodigy rf controller, best I have had. Plug and play no wiring needed , 10 min install.
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
Good info. Thanks.

I've towed a lot of stuff over the years for thousands of miles, so as long as I stay within limits I'm not too worried about it
Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
GelbGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been towing a Trailex enclosed trailer with a Cayenne for years. It tows so straight and effortlessly that I can forget it's behind me, even at 80 mph.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GelbGT3
I've been towing a Trailex enclosed trailer with a Cayenne for years. It tows so straight and effortlessly that I can forget it's behind me, even at 80 mph.
^^^^
This
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Towed a 24' Featherlite Enclosed V-Nose with 996tt and assorted parts with a Hybrid Cayenne for over a year to about a dozen events. You did not even know it was behind the truck AND it got GREAT gas mileage
Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GelbGT3
My experience also, really should be no problem

This way you have a daily driver and don't have an F-250 sitting around doing nothing.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive towed with three different Cayennes, two were great and one was terrible!

We used to tow with an 04 Cayenne S, then an 04 Cayenne Turbo and now with a 2011 Cayenne S. The older body Cayenne's were fantastic, the newer 11 + cayennes are not great tow vehicles. With each car I was towing the same 20ft aluminum featherlite. I couldnt understand at first why the newer truck was terrible to tow with then I realized Porsche made them smaller and lighter.

Ive learned over time after towing with these three trucks and several Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks that tow capacity doesnt mean all that much. Its more the size of the truck, tongue weight, and drivetrain. This was the first year I towed with the 2011 Cayenne and honestly it scared me enough times that ill be investing in a pickup truck next year. First of all its noticeably smaller than the earlier (pre 08) versions. It makes it harder to see around the trailer, secondly the reduced weight and wheelbase make it more unstable under braking and higher speed (above 65) towing.

Do yourselves a favor and refrain from towing with a newer Cayenne. Its not worth risking your lives. Towing accidents usually end up with very severe injuries and ive realized after a handful of tows this year that I need something bigger (even for my 20ft aluminum trailer).
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
modifier
Instructor

MoD, I just looked up the numbers and they don't coincided with what you report. So it must be something else.

04 S WB- 112.4 L- 188.2 W- 75.9 Wt.- 4950-5650 lbs depending on options

13 S WB- 114 L- 190.8 W- 76.3 Wt.- 6173 lbs according to Motortrend

So they actually got bigger and heavier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Racecar with Cayenne