Notices

Value Price trends 993 Cup cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Wayne:

Great and interesting history on your car, I believe Paul Amico has one of these South American 993 Cups from the same series that didn't happen.

Regarding value in Germany/Europe: I'm friends with a collector/broker their, that told me the top price recently paid for a 993 Cup was 180k Euros. Only cars with significant winning history in Carrera Cup or Super Cup, driven by well known driver's would achieve a higher price, around 200k Euros. An example of this would be one of the factory VIP Super Cup cars, driven by a F1 driver.

You can contact me at jfawsitt9@yahoo.com if you want to talk more.

JF
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
Hi Wayne:

Great and interesting history on your car, I believe Paul Amico has one of these South American 993 Cups from the same series that didn't happen.

Regarding value in Germany/Europe: I'm friends with a collector/broker their, that told me the top price recently paid for a 993 Cup was 180k Euros. Only cars with significant winning history in Carrera Cup or Super Cup, driven by well known driver's would achieve a higher price, around 200k Euros. An example of this would be one of the factory VIP Super Cup cars, driven by a F1 driver.

You can contact me at jfawsitt9@yahoo.com if you want to talk more.

JF
That sounds like the right neighborhood although the car I mention a few posts up did sell within the (higher) estimate range I believe.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

There are no 993 cup offered below 200K at he moment. all are towards 300k, and over.
Offered, and sold for, are two very different things though ;-)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

So, what makes them so sought after and therefore expensive?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Your car is worth well above $200k. I'm sure there's much debate on why they are sought after. I can only offer my opinion. They were produced in limited numbers and many didn't survive the series they ran in. These are the last factory air cooled Cups made and that also drives demand. Look at the demand for "special" street 993's.

From what I've seen there are 2 types of 993 cups that will claim big $. Ones that are very original and hardly used that have zero race history (like yours). The other is as said earlier. Strong race history and results in Supercup or The German Carrera Cup with well known teams and of course the last year with the most limited production 1998 claim big $.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:45 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
So, what makes them so sought after and therefore expensive?
The usual metrics: great racing backstory, period state of the art engineering, popular fame due to F1 connection, unique place in 911 evolution, all enhanced by scarcity. A more interesting question is why are they so cheap compared with the road going RS version from which it derived which sells for double today
Old 01-22-2016, 02:53 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Brandon, I think it's because "street RS" presents a bigger audience to buy and use.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:58 PM
VermontWayne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
There are no 993 cup offered below 200K at he moment. all are towards 300k, and over.
Offered, and sold for, are two very different things though ;-)
Thanks to the three previous respondents for info on this illusive question of what a nearly 20 year old Factory correct Super Cup racecar may be worth in the market. I have another question you or others may be willing to offer your thoughts on. Would a collector/probable interested buyer of a 993 Factory correct Super Cup prefer the engine and transmission were never opened once it left the factory (that my car's status) or a freshened engine and/or transmission? In my plan to prepare the car for the market I thought I'd need to have the engine refreshed and certainly if the subsequent owner planned to race the car, the engine would need to be refreshed eventually. I must say, the last time I raced the car the engine was as strong as it was the first time I raced it and the transmission was the same.
I think one of the principal reasons the value of these Factory correct 993 Super Cup car has increased so much is the limited number of them that still exist in unaltered form. I believe about 130 of these racecars were produced by Porsche over the 1994-1997 four year period. Many of the 130 have be destroyed in racing activities or modified into RSRs or otherwise modified such that they no longer would be worth much if even recognizable as an original Factory correct racecar. One thing that racing the Cup Car in PCA Club racing required for the GTC2 class was that the car remain "Factory correct". So that's what I did with mine. My guess is that at least half, maybe more, of the original 130 are no longer in a form that most would any longer consider a Factory correct 993 Super Cup race car. Even if someone had an original body and matching engine/transmission set up and was willing to re build the car to factory specs, getting the parts may be problematic and, as someone wiser than me said, "the line between restoration and replication can get quite blurred", rendering the outcome of dubious origin and value.

Note to 993PET/JF: I remember Paul Amico's name from Club racing and I'm sure we talked and related the Venezuelan connection of our cars. One of the reasons I stopped PCA Club racing is that very few GTC2 Cup cars were showing up at races and I believe that has become all the more so. I doubt there are more than 15-20 993 Cup cars across the U.S. that are in GTC2 qualified form and I expect, like me, many owners have withdrawn the cars from racing.

BTW, I posted some photos on my Cup Car at a PCA Club race at Sebring.
Wayne
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Based on what you've said. Do not rebuild. These motors last a long time.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Hi Wayne:

That's a good question there are two types of buyer for this car, the first will buy it just to display, the second will buy it for track days and vintage racing. Assuming the 5,000 kmh is approximately 50 to 60 hours on the engine and gearbox, condition will depend on how hard the car has been driven. If all appears well a light refresh of both would run somewhere between $25k and $30k from reputable builders in this country. I don't think it really effects the potential desirability of the car by doing this and it's hard to say if you'd recoup these funds from inflating the asking price accordingly. Some buyers may prefer to have this done themselves. Either way the car is going to require some race shop recommissioning by the new owner prior to returning to the track and any educated buyer would expect this. If it was my car I would offer it for sale "as is" with an assessment report (including engine leakdown test) by a race shop that knows these cars. Regarding parts they are available but some require a bit of legs work to locate these days, you have to know where to look.

BTW Paul had his car out last season and your right GTC2 fields are pretty thin these days.

GLWS.

JF
Old 01-22-2016, 07:55 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think 5000 miles not 5000 kms would equate to 50 hrs running, these racers are fast and 100 mph ( 160 kph average speed) is not unusual, that's what it is on mine anyway. These are truely great Porsches.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:46 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

One listed for sale here-http://www.ebay.com/itm/252256451867?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Phil
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by major dad
I'd think 5000 miles not 5000 kms would equate to 50 hrs running, these racers are fast and 100 mph ( 160 kph average speed) is not unusual, that's what it is on mine anyway. These are truely great Porsches.
This engine hours are just my estimate based on the ecu read of my 996 Cup when I bought it, it had 3425 miles (5512 km) and 70.5 hours run time on the engine. Who knows how many hours of that was at idle/warmup versus at speed. I think a lot depends on the average speed of the tracks that the car is driven at, higher average speed equals lower engine hours. AFAIK there is no way to read the engine hours on a 993?

JF

Quick Reply: Value Price trends 993 Cup cars?