Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Value Price trends 993 Cup cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Value Price trends 993 Cup cars?

At an NJMP member day on friday, the Supercup was it's usual fabulous, outrageous self, calmly absorbing the alternating abuses of two guys enjoying an almost empty track, clear blue skies, and for both of us, the first time behind the wheel since the club race in August. A record for each of us, and the longest absence behind the wheel for my son since he was 8.
Anyhow our perfectly delightful day was shaken by the comment of a passerby to the effect that, "you know these cars are changing hands in the $150K range these days?" No I didn't know that.
Is that true? I flat out love this car, so I'm not a seller, and it's at low risk on track days. But it would absolutely impact it's racing future, already in doubt as the field shrinks to zilch....
Anyone aware of the market?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandon

I think the first question is who is the "passerby" and what experience does he have to make such a comment. I do know about one year ago a Supercup in good not great condition, with a Wagenpas and good history was sold for $125K. The Supercups are good investments and can still be found at PCA and Vintage events. The market for good cars with documentation will continue to trend up. The only factor that may influence the future of the cars being seen more often at racing event would be parts availability. Keep in mind, in Vintage racing a $125K car is quite common, it's the $1m- $1m+ cars that are no longer run as often as they were 10-15 years ago.

Mark
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's one at $175k. Yes, they are solid mid-6 figure cars these days.
http://www.orbitracing.com/index.php...-cars-for-sale

If I owned one, it would be really tempting to sell it, buy a 996 Cup and a Cayman daily driver...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
mcongleton
Racer

The car in the link is a RSR not a Supercup. Totally apples to oranges in value.

Mark
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

They are the same family of cars, and any factory built air cooled racecar has been spiking in value for the last year. Even 964 and 993 RS variant street cars are starting to take off. One may be a bigger peach than the other, but they both fell off the same tree.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Keep in mind, in Vintage racing a $125K car is quite common, it's the $1m- $1m+ cars that are no longer run as often as they were 10-15 years ago.
Mark
I know and it's ironic. eg: two Septembers ago I saw the Oulton Park Gold Cup Vintage races in England. C & D types went fender to fender with a 375MM, Tipo 61 etc. Appalling, maybe, to the preservationist purists but from an economic standpoint: there almost nothing you can do to total a >$1M car. A 993 Supercup, however, even at $150K, is worth much less than the sum of it's parts.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Brandon, I would consider vintage racing if PCA is not your cup of tea. There is an SVRA race at NJMP coming up soon you may want to check it out.

Mark
Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I was involved of the sale of one last year at 135 Later in the year a good friend bought
a better car for 80 so I think the value really depends on finding the right buyer. I currently know of a good one with no takers at 125. The fatherland is certainly where the money is.
If you're worried about writing off the car insurance is certainly available at reasonable price
A 6 cup is twice the car for 1/2 the money
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

The prices are getting quite ridiculous. It all depends on a few factors for value. Which year was it made? In 1998 only 15 were made. Other years were all low production as well. Like all race cars, the pro history on it adds value. Wagenpas adds value. I wouldn't sell it. Im of course biased but they are extremely capable cars. Given equal drivers a 996 Cup is faster but most would say not as fun to drive. When I bought mine every prior owner (4 of them) had driven every Cup up to 997 and everyone of them said the 993 was the one they wish they never sold. My buddy here in CO has #12 of the 15 made in 1998....mine is #1. I believe the guy who commented about the price is right for ones that are totally correct and have good history. Next year this time, probably even more. Ones that aren't correct (and most haven't been kept that way) have prices all over the map.

11 RS Mexico Blue
07 RS Orange
98 993 Cup 5th overall in 98 German Carrera Cup
98 C2S Arctic Silver
77 911S Pastel Blue
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Here's one at $175k. Yes, they are solid mid-6 figure cars these days.
http://www.orbitracing.com/index.php...-cars-for-sale

If I owned one, it would be really tempting to sell it, buy a 996 Cup and a Cayman daily driver...
indeed.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
They are the same family of cars, and any factory built air cooled racecar has been spiking in value for the last year. Even 964 and 993 RS variant street cars are starting to take off. One may be a bigger peach than the other, but they both fell off the same tree.
this is true. Interesting way of putting it
Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by daedton
The prices are getting quite ridiculous. It all depends on a few factors for value. Which year was it made? In 1998 only 15 were made. Other years were all low production as well. Like all race cars, the pro history on it adds value. Wagenpas adds value. I wouldn't sell it. Im of course biased but they are extremely capable cars. Given equal drivers a 996 Cup is faster but most would say not as fun to drive. When I bought mine every prior owner (4 of them) had driven every Cup up to 997 and everyone of them said the 993 was the one they wish they never sold. My buddy here in CO has #12 of the 15 made in 1998....mine is #1. I believe the guy who commented about the price is right for ones that are totally correct and have good history. Next year this time, probably even more. Ones that aren't correct (and most haven't been kept that way) have prices all over the map.

11 RS Mexico Blue
07 RS Orange
98 993 Cup 5th overall in 98 German Carrera Cup
98 C2S Arctic Silver
77 911S Pastel Blue
Any pictures of the Pastel Blue 911S?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daedton
Thanks, that pretty much sums up the situation. I'm not selling, and in fact bought the car believing the day would come when it's collector appeal would overshadow it's casual useability. I just didn't think it would be this soon. I'm active in the collector car market and it's been surprising how few of these show up at auction; they aren't even listed in the 'Sportscar Market' price guide despite IMO the highest collectibility of their era.
I've been told mine has special appeal in Germany: despite it's midpack performance in the Supercup series driven by Danny Pfeil, it was campaigned in the professional sedan series in Germany for five years, with lots of collateral media legacy. It won the championship one year. It's still has all it's 'in period' livery with the Supercup series paint peeking through here and there.
As for 'fun to drive,' +1 While it's 'obsolete' relative to later offerings, my son qualified it P7 in the NJMP enduro last summer ahead of a lot of 6's and some 7's. Evolving as I did out of 911's, it's handling feels miraculous to me so the fact that later cars are 'easier to drive fast' is sorta irrelevant.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I retired my 964 cup a few years back figuring i was lucky to have raced it without wadding it up! I look at some of the prices that are talked about but always realize that it's not a "realized gain" unless I actually have the money in my pocket. I will say I much prefer driving the new one though!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always loved the 993 Cup Car. But those prices are crazy. Like many of said, I would just buy a 996 Cup car (but the upkeep would kill me).

With the prices of the 996 cup cars, you probably will not see any 993 Supercup clones racing vintage like you do with 911RSR's, Rs's, ST's clones or other "tribute cars". It would cost more to build a 993 Supercup clone than it would be to buy a 996 Cup Car.

I still love the look of the 993 cup over a 996 cup.

Quick Reply: Value Price trends 993 Cup cars?