Dash / Data / GPS / Video system recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013 | 11:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by claykos
996 gt3r .... Bosch 3.1 ecu. Thanks!
You know, what a lot of guys do is, while running the MoTeC, use an AiM ECU Bridge with the Bosch 3.1 Autosport connection pigtail located near the ECU to send ECU data to the SmartyCam for overlaying the RPM/TPS/temps/brake position.

Instead of the CAN control out from the MoTeC, you simply get the info (and power) from the AiM ECU Bridge. One plug-in to the car and info goes to the camera.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-03-2013 | 12:38 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

+100 for the new motec CDL3. only nominally more expensive than the AIM systems, but its super easy to install, and the functionality is worlds greater than the AIM stuff (which i like a lot).
i still think Motec is living in the mid 90s when it comes to GPS and how to integrate it for lap timing or speeds, and in GPS aim is really solid...
but all things considered...in our two world challenge builds we put together for the Catanias, we used the motec cdl3 and could not be happier.
Old 04-03-2013 | 01:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ed, one more reasonable MoTeC option I did not think of immediately is the new CDL3 dash, with the logging option, with additional I/O inputs (includes GPS and CAN) and a Race-Keeper HE (up to 4 cameras) video with data embedded add-on. The video is controlled by the MoTeC CDL3 dash/logger.

This would do everything you want (albeit with a little more complexity but with the most power in configuration and data presentation) for less than your target budget. All of it.
Adding on to this, with Steve's ringing endorsement , is a cost break down for this setup for your car.

CDL3, backlit, 8MB logging option, 12-channel I/O option, accessory kit (SLM-C, GPS receiver, button harness and terminated harness for CDL3) plus connector kit and adapter harness to go to the ECU for Bosch CAN data: $3538 plus freight

Add to that a Race-Keeper HE with two-cameras, CAN connection cable to get the information from the MoTeC CDL 3, camera roll bar mounts, mic for inside noise and radio transmission, base mount and HD video export (two SD views melded together) ~$2700 plus freight, add $295 if you already have things plugged into your Autosport connector coming off the ECU, but probably not needed.

You could add to that a steering sensor and perhaps brake pressure sensors (but you said you had more stuff on the car that was connected to the old ADL, so maybe not) and installation, but this would beat the hell out of what you have and do everything you want it to do. And beat your budget...

The AiM EVO 4/MXL-Dash/VVB Lite combo would be a little less, but still offer the same functionality and do what you want, including multi camera video already done so you can watch it 30 seconds after you get out of the car.

The biggest advantage to the AiM system, as Steve again pointed out, is the start/finish coordinates are already loaded so as soon as it gets a GPS lock, it knows where it is and the lap timing and predictive lap timing starts AUTOMATICALLY, no building of "venues" as required by MoTeC. Less maintenance, let's say. MoTeC? Well, it's MoTeC!

Either way, you can't go wrong and you are taking advantage of each companies latest generation of technology.

These data systems don't do a great deal more or measure what is going on with any less accuracy than the old ADL, but the latest generation of stuff is WAY easier to use. THAT is a FACT!

Let me know if I can help you.
Old 04-04-2013 | 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Here is a datasheet on the CDL3:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CDL3 Club Dash Display.pdf (140.4 KB, 302 views)
Old 04-04-2013 | 06:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Another vote for CDL3...
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:33 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

So, does the new MXL dash use all the accelerometers for measuring G's? I was kind of surprised when I talked with AIM about the smarty cam -- I believe it has 3 and I was told it they're just used to keep the pic steady. The recorded G's are gps calculations (which is obvious when you look at plots).
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoeMag
So, does the new MXL dash use all the accelerometers for measuring G's? I was kind of surprised when I talked with AIM about the smarty cam -- I believe it has 3 and I was told it they're just used to keep the pic steady. The recorded G's are gps calculations (which is obvious when you look at plots).
Yes, the original MXL has one, the EVO3 has two and the EVO4 and the new MXL2 dash has three accelerometers.

Not sure where you got your SC information, it has two actual accelerometers (lat/long) that need to be set every time the angle of the all-in-one or GP recorder box position is altered.

You can do it in "Settings>Calibrate Accel" or through SmartyManager and a direct connection, "Online>Calibrate Accel" in the top right of the screen.

GPS derived G's don't need a unit calibration feature. Look at Solo or VVB Lite...

Quick Reply: Dash / Data / GPS / Video system recomendations