Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Cup fire sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
All I'm saying is if you can get a complete running cup for mid $40, you have the mechanical ability and don't care about keeping it in cup spec these could be a real fun cars.
This. And 10 years from now if you want to pull it out and run it with HSR, nobody is going to care if it has a sealed engine or gearbox. They might care if it has the right displacement and ratios, but they won't be looking for seals on things.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a group that came in and bought a number of cars. (mostly 05's. There is only one 05 left)

Still some really nice ones left. 4 '04's and 3 03's
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

"Still some really nice ones left. 4 '04's and 3 03's "

not exactly accurate
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve113,

Are any of the remaining cars worth having? I've been tempted to make the trip to Miami.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Curious if anyone knows how many of these Cups are still available? Has anyone on RL purchased one? They're certainly priced for a quick sale.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

8 are left. One has a hold on it pending a visit on Friday.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:10 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I passed after taking a look yesterday, the cars are not what I'm looking for.

JF
Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993PET
I passed after taking a look yesterday, the cars are not what I'm looking for.

JF
Can you share a little bit more of your thoughts?

I've started a conversation about maybe getting one and would love some more detail before I book a flight across the country and shut my business for a couple of days.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Where in Miami are they located?

Ranger (LRRP)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
Can you share a little bit more of your thoughts?

I've started a conversation about maybe getting one and would love some more detail before I book a flight across the country and shut my business for a couple of days.
Matt, I would be interested as well, probably for similar reasons.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Not to put words in JF's mouth, but he is a local guy and we talked about his expectations and what he saw when he was down there.

Before he went, he had spoken to a local Porsche dealer mechanic who had gone down with another fellow who tried to put together a 10 car deal for the cars.

The mechanic had told Joesph that the cars were arrow straight and all had steel fenders and hoods.

This is just not true. Most, if not all, of the cars that are still there have had work done. Most of the cars (with the exception of one that I am aware of) the past damage repair is constrained to the front and rear forks. Before or after the suspension mounts. There is also evidence of damage repair to some of the rear quarter panel sheet metal as well. The repairs were good, but they were still evident.

Some of the cars have all steel parts, but some of them, including the one that the mechanic had pointed Joseph to, had a fiberglass hood and one fiberglass fender.

The fit and finish of the cars are not spectacular. Some of them were, but the more they sit down there the more they get bumped around in a warehouse.

Joseph is a very particular individual (as evidenced by the condition of the 964 RSA that he is selling). He is looking for something that will be as perfect looking as that car and it will take some work to get one of these to that place. I was actually surprised when he contacted me that he wanted to go down because of that.

All of that, combined with the questions on specific state of the mechanical (no real hour numbers other than a general estimate) JF feels that he had not found what he was looking for.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Ed,

Thank you. The cars sound in the condition that I would expect based upon the pricing. I personally wouldn't be looking for something that I could proudly show off to my mates as a pristine 996 Cup. I'm looking for what I like to call a "driving restoration". Something that isn't perfect, that I can tinker with over time. And something that I'm not worried about being GTC PCA spec since it's going to have my proprietary sequential gearbox in it anyway. I'm looking for something that I can make into a DIY baby RSR if you will.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 911racer
Not to put words in JF's mouth, but he is a local guy and we talked about his expectations and what he saw when he was down there.

Before he went, he had spoken to a local Porsche dealer mechanic who had gone down with another fellow who tried to put together a 10 car deal for the cars.

The mechanic had told Joesph that the cars were arrow straight and all had steel fenders and hoods.

This is just not true. Most, if not all, of the cars that are still there have had work done. Most of the cars (with the exception of one that I am aware of) the past damage repair is constrained to the front and rear forks. Before or after the suspension mounts. There is also evidence of damage repair to some of the rear quarter panel sheet metal as well. The repairs were good, but they were still evident.

Some of the cars have all steel parts, but some of them, including the one that the mechanic had pointed Joseph to, had a fiberglass hood and one fiberglass fender.

The fit and finish of the cars are not spectacular. Some of them were, but the more they sit down there the more they get bumped around in a warehouse.

Joseph is a very particular individual (as evidenced by the condition of the 964 RSA that he is selling). He is looking for something that will be as perfect looking as that car and it will take some work to get one of these to that place. I was actually surprised when he contacted me that he wanted to go down because of that.

All of that, combined with the questions on specific state of the mechanical (no real hour numbers other than a general estimate) JF feels that he had not found what he was looking for.

Thanks

Ed
I agree with everything Ed says. The car I was looking at was not as described to me by the local Porsche Mechanic that inspected it. I will say that the cars are appropriately priced for their condition and represent a rare opportunity to get into a Cup Car at an bargain price.

JF

JF
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ build thread yeeehaw! Glwp
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Ed,

Thank you. The cars sound in the condition that I would expect based upon the pricing. I personally wouldn't be looking for something that I could proudly show off to my mates as a pristine 996 Cup. I'm looking for what I like to call a "driving restoration". Something that isn't perfect, that I can tinker with over time. And something that I'm not worried about being GTC PCA spec since it's going to have my proprietary sequential gearbox in it anyway. I'm looking for something that I can make into a DIY baby RSR if you will.
Then these cars sound like the perfect fit for your needs and plans. It would require some $$ to make them PCA GTC compliant, that probably wouldn't have been my route had I bought one, I was thinking more of PCA GTA1 & NASA GTS4.

I've always put a lot of time and effort into the whole experience of making the 20ish Porsche's I've owned in the last 30 years as perfect as they could possibly be, that has included a 356 Cabriolet that I found in a junk yard and restored into an International Concours Champion. I treat the race cars no differently, which is fortunate for anyone who buys a car from me. However when I'm at the track I'm their to race and could care less what anyone else thinks of how my cars look.

JF

Last edited by 993PET; 04-19-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Cup fire sale?