SLM shift light points

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SLM shift light points

Hi all,
I'm installing a SLM in my 2008 cup and wonder at what rpm I should activate the 4 templates (upshift lights 1 to 4) (as a baseline, at least)

Would anyone with a SLM equipped cup mind giving me his setup ?

Same question for a downshift light.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I install the SLM, I use the gear dependant shift light strategy because the car runs through the lower gears at a faster rate. I have not found a practical use for the downshift light. How do you want the shift lights to display? Are you going outside inner two, inner three, then the inner most lights? Or do you want the lights to go across from left to right like the Red Bull F1 car? Do you want to use 3 lights or 4 lights?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
When I install the SLM, I use the gear dependant shift light strategy because the car runs through the lower gears at a faster rate. I have not found a practical use for the downshift light. How do you want the shift lights to display? Are you going outside inner two, inner three, then the inner most lights? Or do you want the lights to go across from left to right like the Red Bull F1 car? Do you want to use 3 lights or 4 lights?
Thanks for your answer Geoffrey. I have planned to also use the gear dependant strategy (as is the existing shift light) and the left to right method, to begin with, in the following way :

1 - Group of 2 green lights on the left (1 & 2)
2 - 1 + Group of 3 orange lights (3 to 5)
3 - 1+2 + Group of 3 red lights (6 to 8)
4 - 1+2+ (the third flashing)

I have the rpm for the 4th upshift light : They will be the same as the existing one, with only one upshift light.

What I would like to achieve is something that permits me to mentally get the tempo for shifting as I keep hitting the rev limiter if I upshift at the only upshift light I have got (too slow, little padawan... )

But... I really don't know at what rpms light the other LEDs and would like to get a baseline before going the trial & error way...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Cid,

I'm going to look up the standart Values of the 2011 SLM as soon as I'm on my Laptop again.

I'll send them forward to you via PM!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I use on my 07 Cup. I also use a downshift indicator to remind me to be at a certain rpm before downshifting. That is a "user condition" that simply states RPM<=6000. The downshift safe light is a dull green that only comes on below 6k. Oh, and the slippage lights are flashing red but show up as black on this pic.
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Many thanks Yannick & TEDean ! ;-)

Good baseline to start playing with the christmas fairy lights...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally upshift 1 is the first light set to turn on, not the last as is shown above.
I generally turn on the first shift light about 1300rpm before the rev limiter in 1st gear
I generally turn on the first shift light about 600rpm before the rev limiter in 6th gear.
I generally turn on the last shift light about 100rpm before the rev limiter kicks on.
The middle gears are inbetween the two.

I often have a number of other functions in the shift light module like brake lockup, etc and run out of available light functions (14 available) so I don't include the downshift light. If you want to use it, there is a downshift function in the code and you do not need to use a user condition to set it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Thanks Geoffrey
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Making my shopping list ;-)

If anyone has a good math to log wheel lockup individualy...

Last edited by cid042; 02-11-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
boothkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set mine up to be similar to the F1 displays you see on TV. Starts blue to purple finishing with 2 yellows that match the dash lights as a bar from left to right. Cant recall the exact points, but the display is helpful as I'm tall and can't always see the yellows on the dash.

I also set it to display max brake pressure from outside in. Starts blue on the outside working to center then flips to purple when at max brake psi... helps to know when your at your limit and good for testing.

I also set it up to glow two outer lights for wheel lock (condition negative G force and wheel speed less than 50% of others). Orange for front and pink for rears... so if I get a pink right 2 lights I know the right rear is close to locking in a corner.

Lastly I set the "master caution" function to blink red for nuisance alarms (eg. running hot in the pits) and solid red for danger alert such as low oil pressure... much more effective than the single light.

I might be able to get to the lap top to find the actual shift points for my 08 cup.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kevin. The brake pressure thing is very interesting. I'm going to investigate that a bit...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

You can also build a table of varying rpms/per gear to import into the SLM configuration. Remember, there is a hierarchy in that the channel order top to bottom is the priority.

I'm in class today with Chris Brown of MoTeC West here in the US and he spent quite a bit of time on this very example today. I don't have my notes so forgive my general and unpolished answer.

As usual, Geoffrey has the best information with the stepped RPM, lessening the split as the gears go up. Every driver is different and you should make sure you're not "anticipating" the top rpm/top gear situation by shifting early but instead setting Up Shift Light 4 to be triggered at your desired shift point in top.

The brake pressure light setup is easy enough once you set up channels for BP Front>300, BP Front>400,BP F>500 and BP F>600 (this example expressed in psi), but you should edge trigger it so that the RPM lights are disabled on downshifts and the Brake Pressure lights are the priority throughout slowing. I'll post examples tomorrow or Wednesday.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Generally upshift 1 is the first light set to turn on, not the last as is shown above.
I generally turn on the first shift light about 1300rpm before the rev limiter in 1st gear
I generally turn on the first shift light about 600rpm before the rev limiter in 6th gear.
I generally turn on the last shift light about 100rpm before the rev limiter kicks on.
The middle gears are inbetween the two.

I often have a number of other functions in the shift light module like brake lockup, etc and run out of available light functions (14 available) so I don't include the downshift light. If you want to use it, there is a downshift function in the code and you do not need to use a user condition to set it.
Thanks for the info, I will readjust my settings!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Wow ! Really great informations in all your replies ! My Motec knowledge has doubled !

Many thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

BTW: I have the Motec-Manual for the 2011 Cup-Cars in english. Give me your mail adress via PM and I'll hand it over to you. Many useful information contained in it...

Quick Reply: SLM shift light points