Engine pre-heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine pre-heater

Hi all,

These days, I fancy buying a pre heater for my cup (and the R), in order to preserve the engine from being run cold. It is a water pump with an external water heater. What do you, guys, think of this ? Gadget or must have for a race engine ?

I am thinking about this : http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...e-pre-heater-2

Thanks in advance

Cedric
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would not work here in the states unless you have 3-phases power and a high amperage connection but being in Europe that is not a problem. The issue with cold starts are oil starvation. I would assume that the motor guru's will chime in but if you heat the block via water temperature you will expand the case of the block. It will take a while to transfer heat into the pistons and oil sitting in the motor. The large quantity oil in the reservoir will not be effected.

Might be a cool toy but not sure how effective.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use these as well:

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...93110/10002/-1
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided to start using an engine pre-heater going forward to get more hours out of our engines...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmercier853
It would not work here in the states unless you have 3-phases power and a high amperage connection but being in Europe that is not a problem. The issue with cold starts are oil starvation. I would assume that the motor guru's will chime in but if you heat the block via water temperature you will expand the case of the block. It will take a while to transfer heat into the pistons and oil sitting in the motor. The large quantity oil in the reservoir will not be effected.

Might be a cool toy but not sure how effective.

Good luck
That's a good point ! Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPguy
Very interesting, thanks !
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ilker@SCB
We have decided to start using an engine pre-heater going forward to get more hours out of our engines...
That is also my goal.

No problem introducing bubbles in the coolant lines ?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my understanding is that the wear on startup is due to a lack of oil due to the higher viscosity of cold oil and the time it takes to reach the wear parts. Heating the oil would help and having a warm engine would decrease the idling time to warm it up. The problems I see with the cup engines is that most of the oil is in the dry sump tank and wouldn't get heated by a water heater. Also the wear at idle is insignificant compared to the wear at high RPMs. IMHO the biggest advantage with less idling time is less time on the hour meter and the best way to reduce the wear on the engine would be to pressurize the oil prior to startup with something like an accusump.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Well my understanding is that the wear on startup is due to a lack of oil due to the higher viscosity of cold oil and the time it takes to reach the wear parts. Heating the oil would help and having a warm engine would decrease the idling time to warm it up. The problems I see with the cup engines is that most of the oil is in the dry sump tank and wouldn't get heated by a water heater. Also the wear at idle is insignificant compared to the wear at high RPMs. IMHO the biggest advantage with less idling time is less time on the hour meter and the best way to reduce the wear on the engine would be to pressurize the oil prior to startup with something like an accusump.
Well, now I'm in for a water, oil (Jegs) heater plus an accusump !
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just heat the whole darn trailer to operating temp and that will do the tires too...one heater! Don't linger inside for too long
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Just heat the whole darn trailer to operating temp and that will do the tires too...one heater! Don't linger inside for too long
Loooooooooooool !

...and clim the cockpit

Quick Reply: Engine pre-heater