Which Motec in 2004 cup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I was checking the AIM site to see the compatibility list for their dashboards and I was wondering if the 996 cup MoTeC system is on the list. The Bosch MS3 ECU is.
The MS3 and MS4 are compatible with any AiM MXL Pista (logging) and Strada (non-logging, display only) as well as EVO3 and EVO4. The Bosch Motorsport ECU's referenced above (the MS3 and MS4) work with the Solo DL and the upcoming MXL2 and EVO5.

IMO and IIRC, the 996 Cup in the US came with an analog dash, but the most common add-on is the MXL Pista. The early 997 Cup comes with a Motec ADL, the later cars come with an ADL2.

Geoffrey says: the only issue could be that the early 997 Cup cars (05 europe and 06) have ADL/1 dashes, not ADL/2 dashes. You can only use ADL/2 software with an ADL/2 dash. The easiest way to tell is that the ADL/2 dash has a USB connector for the laptop, and an ADL/1 has a 5 pin round CAN plug that requires the MoTeC UTC to connect.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am the soon-to-be owner of a 996 cup car (one detail left to do, and that is transfer the money ) so I am trying to get all the info I can get on this car.

Motec is not an option for me (waay to expensive to get data logging), so I was wondering what MXL hardware I can use to extract data from the motec module installed in the car, because the standard ECU info does not contain a lot.

ProCoach: since you seem to be the datalogging expert on this forum (as far as I can tell), do you happen to know if I can extract data from that 996 cup Motec module using AIM hardware?

off-topic: You should check what AIM can read out of a stock 991 ecu. Bloody awesome! 4 wheel speeds, 4 brake pressures, lateral acceleration etc etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by sstreime
The unit that was in my car was marked ADL-8. It is an enclosed data logger with the MDD as the mini display.
google searches on "ADL-8" show me that it is actually a type of dashboard?

I think this is the motec module, in front of the gear stick?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pic above shows the ADL-8 in front of the shifter. It's a "blind" logger and was commonly installed with the MDD. It is a powerful piece of equipment and you can add a dash (Motec or AiM) if you want, but it may not be cost effective. It really depends on what you're looking to do.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I need a new dash anyway since the one that comes with the car is dead. Buying an MXL Pista is actually cheaper for me than getting a new GT3 Cup dash + I get all the extra's of the AIM system "free". The big question is if I can get it to work together with the Motec.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Correct me if I am wrong, but I THINK the part we are looking at is the "EDL2", which is basically an ADL2 without screen.

Is that correct? That is probably why all those google searches for ADL2 give me dashboard images.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need a new dash anyway since the one that comes with the car is dead. Buying an MXL Pista is actually cheaper for me than getting a new GT3 Cup dash + I get all the extra's of the AIM system "free". The big question is if I can get it to work together with the Motec.
I think that you should investigate in how you can reuse the existing sensors with your MXL dash instead of trying to have it communicate with the Motec acquisition that you seem to have in the car.

The motec website is really helpful and you should be able to find the pinout diagram of the connector of the motec box and make an adaptor for you AIM dash.

Well, you may have to take some time to browse around to understand Motec stuff... That's what I needed to do one year ago, going from a street car to cup. Very interesting stuff !
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

What dash/display is in the car now?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by al@cpt
What dash/display is in the car now?
The mini motec dash + a broken 996 cup dash (it is completely dead).
The previous owner installed a 986 dash which he borrowed, but he has to return it to the shop he borrowed it from (they tried repairing the cup dash in the mean time but they failed).

Other solutions are some second hand 996 dash, but i'd rather install a data logging system, so a nice digital dash will do just fine.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by cid042
I think that you should investigate in how you can reuse the existing sensors with your MXL dash instead of trying to have it communicate with the Motec acquisition that you seem to have in the car.

The motec website is really helpful and you should be able to find the pinout diagram of the connector of the motec box and make an adaptor for you AIM dash.

Well, you may have to take some time to browse around to understand Motec stuff... That's what I needed to do one year ago, going from a street car to cup. Very interesting stuff !

Good idea! Guess I'll need to figure out what is connected to that thing, because there are no specs of what exactly is installed. The previous owner bought it with the Motec installed but he never looked into it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Motec is not an option for me (waay to expensive to get data logging), so I was wondering what MXL hardware I can use to extract data from the motec module installed in the car, because the standard ECU info does not contain a lot.

ProCoach: since you seem to be the datalogging expert on this forum (as far as I can tell), do you happen to know if I can extract data from that 996 cup Motec module using AIM hardware?

off-topic: You should check what AIM can read out of a stock 991 ecu. Bloody awesome! 4 wheel speeds, 4 brake pressures, lateral acceleration etc etc.
A couple things here... The MoTeC module in the car is an EDL/EDL2. It is a logger (and a logger that can send information to the MoTeC Mini Display), not an engine controller. All it does is collect information from external sensors and the limited information from the Bosch MS3 ECU (I am assuming the stock ECU is still in charge of engine management).

There is no easy way to take the output of the MoTeC EDL/EDL2 and present it to the AiM MXL (or MXL2) because each manufacturer uses their own proprietary CAN communications line to link their own system components together. Australia (think beer) and Italy (red wine)? Whew!

In my personal opinion and experience, unless there are substantial, additional sensors connected to the EDL/EDL2 and a working, tested harness in the car, I would NOT recommend continuing with that unless you are prepared to by a Mini Dash Display and commit to getting all of the various MoTeC peripherals up and running.

There is NO reason to do this if there is a bunch of work to do to get the MoTeC up and running, functional or more fully functional.

The MXL and in the next few months, the MXL2, are combination logger/displays that with the optional addition of a few sensors (or the adaptation of the existing sensors in the car, if they were added) can do everything you need it to do.

If you don't want to add anything and you have the Bosch MS3 ECU, the channels that two wires from the MXL (and MXL2) will log and may be configured to show are:

ECU_1
BOSCH_RPM
RPM
ECU_2
BOSCH_SPEED1
Speed1
ECU_3
BOSCH_SPEED2
Speed2
ECU_4
BOSCH_OIL_PRESS
Oil Pressure
ECU_5
BOSCH_FUEL_PRESS
Fuel Pressure
ECU_6
BOSCH_ATM_PRESS
Atmospheric Pressure
ECU_7
BOSCH_FUEL_TEMP
Fuel Temperature
ECU_8
BOSCH_OIL_TEMP
Oil_ Temperature
ECU_9
BOSCH_ENGINE_TEMP
Engine Temperature
ECU_10
BOSCH_AIR_TEMP
Air Temperature
ECU_11
BOSCH_THROTT_ANG
Throttle Angle
ECU_12
BOSCH_IGNIT_ANG
Ignition Angle
ECU_13
BOSCH_AIR_CHARGE
Engine load
ECU_14
BOSCH_INJEC_TIME1
Injection time 1
ECU_15
BOSCH_INJEC_TIME2
Injection time 2
ECU_16
BOSCH_LAMBDA1
Lambda Value 1
ECU_17
BOSCH_LAMBDA_2
Lambda Value 2
ECU_18
BOSCH_LAM_CONTR1
Lambda Controller 1
ECU_19
BOSCH_LAM_CONTR2
Lambda controller 2
ECU_20
BOSCH_FUEL_USED
Injected Fuel
ECU_22
BOSCH_GEAR
Gear Number
ECU_23
BOSCH_VBATT
Battery Voltage

google searches on "ADL-8" show me that it is actually a type of dashboard?

I think this is the motec module, in front of the gear stick?
It is.

The pic above shows the ADL-8 in front of the shifter. It's a "blind" logger and was commonly installed with the MDD. It is a powerful piece of equipment and you can add a dash (Motec or AiM) if you want, but it may not be cost effective. It really depends on what you're looking to do.
True dat.

Buying an MXL Pista is actually cheaper for me than getting a new GT3 Cup dash + I get all the extra's of the AIM system "free".

The big question is if I can get it to work together with the Motec.
Two separate things.

Yes, it's cheaper than the Cup dash and the MDD and you don't pay extra for various added options like additional inputs or capabilities with the AiM.

No, not able to make it work (easily, if at all) with the AiM, but why would you want to? You don't need it!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I THINK the part we are looking at is the "EDL2", which is basically an ADL2 without screen.

Is that correct? That is probably why all those google searches for ADL2 give me dashboard images.
Yes, that's correct. From Product Information:

The Enclosed Dash Logger (EDL2) is a fully programmable data logger and powerful control device in one lightweight unit.

Based on the ADL2, it is supplied in an enclosed unit providing the flexibility to connect a display suitable for your application or to use as a 'black box' type data logger. As standard the EDL2 comes with 8 MB of data logging and 30 inputs/outputs.

It provides all the advanced features of MoTeC's ADL2 Dash Logger, including warning alarms, fuel prediction, engine logs, timers, tables, user conditions, telemetry and more.

Four auxiliary outputs are available to control external devices such as shift lights, warning lights, a gearbox oil pump and a thermo fan. Additional outputs are available as an upgrade or can be created using expander modules.

A range of upgrades is available to extend the functionality of this unit. For example, additional logging capacity and telemetry for real time viewing of data while the vehicle is on the track. This makes it possible to grow this flexible system as your requirements increase.

MoTeC’s i2 data analysis software provides all the tools for comprehensive analysis of logged data.

Originally Posted by cid042
I think that you should investigate in how you can reuse the existing sensors with your MXL dash instead of trying to have it communicate with the Motec acquisition that you seem to have in the car
If needed. I don't think you'll need to do that, unless there are sensors in addition to the AiM supplied list of ECU channels that you want to log, monitor or display.

If you have a steering angle sensor or brake pressure sensors, it would be fairly easy to terminate the existing sensors to connectors compatible with the MXL or MXL2.

I would AVOID at ALL costs going through the hassle of building a 79-pin MoTeC connector to AiM binder connector "translation" harness!

i'd rather install a data logging system, so a nice digital dash will do just fine.
Than do that, with the MXL or MXL 2. I'll sell you one!

Good idea! Guess I'll need to figure out what is connected to that thing.
Do that first and let us know.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

The mini motec dash + a broken 996 cup dash (it is completely dead).
The previous owner installed a 986 dash which he borrowed, but he has to return it to the shop he borrowed it from (they tried repairing the cup dash in the mean time but they failed).

Other solutions are some second hand 996 dash, but i'd rather install a data logging system, so a nice digital dash will do just fine.
Peter summed it up well. I would consider the Motec CDL3 although the new MXL2 is hot.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter summed it up well. I would consider the Motec CDL3 although the new MXL2 is hot.
I can provide both...

For the CDL3, you should plan on the base unit, plus the 8MB logging option, plus the accessory kit (includes the harness, the GPS antenna, the scroll buttons and an SLM, combined at a good discount), plus a CAN connection cable to the ECU. $3035, plus freight.

An MXL is $1995, includes the harness to the unit and for the ECU CAN, includes logging, has integral shift lights, but needs a GPS-05 module ($399) or a SmartyCam for GPS timing and maps.

What I'm recommending now is an EVO4 logger at $1199 (has three-axis accelerometer and GPS built in) plus an MXL dash at $899 (the display only).

The EVO4/MXL-Dash combo has the latest GPS and hardware architecture plus the braking accelerometer that I think is REALLY important. It will take up to five additional analog sensor inputs plus ALL the CAN info as listed above from the Bosch ECU in the Cup car.

The MXL2 (purportedly the same price as the current MXL, only a better packaging of the EVO4/MXL-Dash combo plus Bluetooth and 802.11 connectivity) is sex on wheels but knowing AiM, the season will be well underway before it gets here.

Or you could do an EVO4/GT35 wheel combo to give everyone in the paddock gadget envy! Pic below...

If you want to drive now, do the EVO4/MXL Dash.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so is there something that can be had resonably to have overlaid video with two cameras.

Something like a David, but newer.

ir_fuel, sell the Motec and get something new. That is at least 5 years old at this point. No GPS. Just adding GPS will cost you $1k. (unless you already have it)

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, you can do a pair of SmartyCams connected to a hub and fed throttle position, brake pressure or longitudinal G's and all kinds of temps and pressures recorded real-time from information provided by the logger.

Take the card(s) out of the camera, plug 'em in and play in about 30'.

AiM is the one to do this (that includes a dash display), otherwise VideoVBox or Race-Keeper work well as an "intelligent video" generator, and both are multi-camera...

Quick Reply: Which Motec in 2004 cup?