Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Winterization

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
jwhaas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterization

I am preparing my 2007 Cup for "off-season" storage. As this is my first Cup and my first water-cooled Porsche, I wish to do this properly as to avoid any unhappy moments in the spring. Currently, car is up on jack-stands with wheels off the car.

Beyond that, I need some guidance on proper winter storage (non-heat garage). Car has Fuel Safe fuel cell and fire system. What tasks must be completed to properly protect car, engine, gearbox, dampers and etc. Thanks for your helpful advice in advance.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Make sure you've got enough antifreeze in the mix for whatever low temps it will see and drain the fuel.
Should be good...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
boothkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I lived in an area that was "humid" I'd give consideration to using a product like Camguard to "pickle" the engine. I've also considered using it my 997 Cup during the race season.

http://aslcamguard.com/wp/wp-content...O-BROCHURE.pdf

I have no COI or affiliation with the company. However, we use the aviation product in my Cirrus and COPA (Cirrus owner assoc) has compiled thousands of oil analysis reports that clearly show a huge anti corrosions and wear reduction improvement. It is normal in aircraft to analyse an oil sample with every oil change to look at various metal levels in anticpation of corrosion (high Fe) or component wear. Infrequent use (<1x week) leads to a serious risk of corrosion in aircraft engines. My own plane and several thousand other show much better data with its use and I'm a believer. I also use it in my muscle cars, boats, and cars that sit.

I'll likely start an oil analysis program on the Cup (Blackstone Labs) and follow wear as well. I'm waiting for 5-10h on the new engine to make sure it is "broken in" before starting.

Note the Aircraft version has too high phosphorous levels to run in vehicles with catalytic convertors.

Just food for thought....

KB

Quick Reply: Winterization