Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

swapping a 6RS for an 01 Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

GT, SB - thanks for that! Your both right but availability here is very different and importing hellish expensive. I maybe able to get $15k toward engine refresh from seller. So in that case, how does the upgraded 01 spec look to you? Ie R box is young and is what was then the RSR box.

Ivo - no question I prefer a race to a road car now and I know that tracking is far more important than roading, as fun as the odd cars and coffee run is - I know you know what I mean. Knowing this it means I'll soon have an RS with too much track time on it to keep its value. The chance that I'm faster in the cup after I learn it is just a benefit. I'm counting on it being easier to maintain in a way that preserves its value than the RS. The weigh differential and stiffer chassis should also contribute to this I hope.

Gladly our 2 series are sponsored by trucking co's so trailering is rarely my problem or cost and I have a cheap garage across the road from the track in an industrial park along with 6 others. Makes for a much easier time as you just pitch in your road car and drive across road to gas station and track. Away races are 3-4 p year with 8-10 local regional/nationals.

Ps - ecu read and full service history on its way from PMS SA

Last edited by HiWind; 09-19-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

HiWind, I would pick up the phone and call Glen re suspension/geometry differences between 01-05 cups.
He has forgotten more about 996 cups than I know.

The other item I would discuss is the difference in the ECU, I believe if you ever decide to upgrade your motor to a 3.8 the early cups cannot be reflashed with another map by PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PS, he probably also has any parts that need to be updated tucked away.

Check your rules regarding backdating/updateing though.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Rules? We're all savages down here .. 4 wheels and a quali under xx or yy and you're in

Seriously rule is just GT3 for now with classes based on time, not car. There's no prize money with sponsors really just to cover 50% of race costs at best.

Thanks for the mention re the ecu - from what I've read it's not huge to change it if need be one day as long as you have the right reader. And thanks for volunteering Glen's time
I got some more info today re updates - new 7 fly wheel installed (not sure if that's the same one it he 4.0) a few weeks back. Back bumper and exhaust centre exit also done by PC after rejig.

Glen and co - any big holes in the spec iyo??
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Well said. AS Uriah Heep sings "and today is only yesterday's tomorrow"
Wow such an obscure reference! My drummer loves you, he keeps begging me to learn that song.

HiWind, I think you have gotten excellent advice, and know what you are getting yourself in for. in the USA that car would be less valuable due to the non-original transmission type (not legal in GTC3 or SCCA GT2) but it seems ok in your country.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfbum
If you can get $100 k for your car, sell it outright, you can be REALLY picky for a 996 cup.
That should get you an 05 with a fresh PMNA motor and fresh box.
INSIST on receipts and to have a shop send the ECU to PMNA to verify how many total hours on the car, how many hours on the motor, and what kind of over revs on the motor.
Happy Shopping
Since you asked.... I have to agree with Sbum if (big if) you can import reasonably. If not then I'd leak down that motor and if balanced and reasonable take if around for a few laps at 80% just to see how it feels to you. If you get a woody then make the trade, especially if you can get him to kick in $15k for a refresh.....
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

I was thinking about this thread for the whole evening...

First of all I´d like to say that the 996 RS (as you already said) is ultra rare and special in many ways. It´s more an RS then 997.1 was IMO due to the carbon-parts and all the other small pieces that made it special in it´s way. It´s not just some carbon-pieces, a plastic-window and a big wing as others think... Many of it´s parts were changed to modified or better ones! If yours is in a good condition, I´m sure it will be more collectible and value-keeping then a ´01 996 Cup. I guess it will be different on the late ´04s and ´05s because all the guys out there just want the latest cars of the production period.

Here in Europe you can get the 99-01 Cups for less then 45.000€... 996 Rs´es are way more expensive on our market! Prices even start rising again here for the 996 RS and the GT2! So a 1:1 exchange wouldn´t make sense for me... You´d loose money. Right now and even more over the next years.

From what you have written above I guess that the decision is already made in your head and your heart. So the question is what to do right now...

My opinion: Take out all of the modded parts of the RS and polish it until it looks like new again. Then find someone who pays you the real value of the car!

Then buy a good Cup like the 01 you mentioned above and use the rest of the money to have fun with it!. But don´t give it away 1:1 for the Cup...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM
HiWind
Race Car

JRG Snr - aha, the woody test ... a tried and true method for sure
Yannick - thanks for pondering on it, and yes, you're likely right my mind(woody meter) is made up ..

if like you and JRG Snr say its got the addition of cash for a future engine refresh, I think the PMS-SA tub rejig/refresh, young R gearbox, JRZ/RSS, new flywheel and tilton clutch, brakes, nose and tail, loom and exhaust make it a solid platform for me for the next 3 years. Leak test later this week ... will update then
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Short story - all went well. Gladly the 'Refresh fund' bumped up a bit due to a few minor bumper issues. Pic later but deal is done ... First real practise yesterday I dropped 1.5 secs without trying too hard - a little sweat, no stains

Thanks all for input, warnings, encouragement and generally adding slick to the slippery slope

Will it be hard to say good bye to the RS - undoubtably - it's a stunning track car and truthfully irreplaceable. I loved everything about its elegant, effective simplicity, like a beautifully crafted samurai sword.

Can it be both and track and road car? not for me as I like an aggressive setup and that doesn't work on the road. Would I buy another - in a flash, despite the plushness of the 997 etc.. It's the lightness über alles. Would I want it as a road car - nope, even with regular setup. race cars need tracks silly. But I'm going to miss just looking at it some days before heading off to work, taking it for a quick early am tire warmer, those lovely clean lines ...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2 cents:

Take your RS and remove all the interior (store in in boxes, keep all stock parts)
Find Cup doors and wing (or comparables)
Install Cup quick release wheel
Throw the Tarrett catalog at the suspension.
Install a good LSD.

I assume you already have full clubsport cage.
Fuel cell can be added if needed and removed when done.
997 headers with center exit exhaust would be cool. (just need a rear bumper).

Go out and have fun/race with your stripper RS and you can always revert it back to stock if you wish to retire it from the track.
(You can still drive it on the road for the odd time you are feeling like driving a hot rod on the street.)

There is a lot of car to be had under the skin of the RS. Unlock it.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks TC - I know what you mean but my RS was still clean enough to be a collectors, sub 30kms, unstripped etc.. Found a good swap and a nice cleaned up (clean again) cup to take its place - all good!

here's a few pic from pre-race clean and prep ... vid's to follow later ... thanks JGRSnr, Glen, Pet, SurfBum, AMike for the encouragement above
and the wise words from the others

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...-town-cup.html

Last edited by HiWind; 10-07-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

The car looks very clean! Nice buy!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Thanks TC - I know what you mean but my RS was still clean enough to be a collectors, sub 30kms, unstripped etc.. Found a good swap and a nice cleaned up (clean again) cup to take its place - all good!

here's a few pic from pre-race clean and prep ... vid's to follow later ... thanks JGRSnr, Glen, Pet, SurfBum, AMike for the encouragement above
and the wise words from the others

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...-town-cup.html
Man, that is one clean looking CUP! I can see why you made the move. I have the Cup bug too and i should be ready when the 991 Cup is released.
A body in white is my weakness.

You have just opened a whole new door which is where you obviously want to be.

Street cars are dandy, but race cars are the business!

congrats!

Im currently running my RS as a full stripper as a Cup car trainer...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: swapping a 6RS for an 01 Cup?