Notices

Who am I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Who am I?

I've been making a few posts lately, and one member asked who I was. Another that knew who I was, suggested I post some info about myself and my racing background and history. Great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm Jim Walsh, I live just outside Seattle. I currently campaign a 2011 GT3 Cup in the Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA West series, where I'm currently leading the 2012 championship with poles in the first four races, and three wins and a second.

This is my third year running the Pirelli Series (other than a couple of races here and there), in 2010 I ran my 2004 996 GT3 Cup, as well as the first part of 2011, until my new 2011 car showed up, just over a year ago.

I started autocrossing in 1988, then DE days, then instructing, and started racing in 2000 with a 1993 Porsche RS America built to PCA C club specs, it was the local area spec Porsche at the time.

People slowly sold their RSA's and started getting 996 Cups, and I finally followed in 2004, getting the last 2004 996 Cup imported to the US. I ran that car in SCCA, PCA, IRDC, Conference, and Pirelli Cup.

I've done most of my prior racing in SCCA and PCA, with a fifth and second at the SCCA Runoffs, the two years I ran it. I also did a Rolex 24 and a number of other Enduro events (Portland, Thunderhill, Laguna). I've been pretty successful, with a number of championships, and I believe only five DNF's (four mechanicals, one contact) in my 12 years of racing.

I wanted to run a competitive, enforced, spec series, as my goal is to continue to improve my driving every single event, so I moved to Pirelli Cup for 2010, where I found great competition, and had to work hard every single race.

Last year I ran a split series, starting with the 996 but moving to a Platinum car when my 2011 Cup showed up in May. I found a whole new set of strong competitors in Platinum. Great racing at the front, and usually close enough that any mistake (missed upshift, a little lockup and going long under braking) was enough for a pass for position.

This year I've concentrated on both speed and consistency, and it seems to be paying off. So far :-) I haul and run my own car, with a crew of two.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Jim, welcome!!!

I raced an '04 996 cup in SCCA at the runoffs in '05 and have followed your SCCA adventures.

have fun!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to do what you did, not sure if I can afford to take it as far though. Any advice on how to proceed up as you did? Feel free to PM me.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Jim, welcome!

Were you at Rennsport IV at Laguna last year in your 2011 Cup? I think we had a battle at the end of the race but I might be mistaken. :-)

-mike
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jim:

Your old RS America is alive and well in Ohio. It won it's first NASA race this season at Mid-Ohio. We will be at the Glen next weekend for the Clash running in prepared H. The car has been steadily upgraded and freshed by Joel Reiser during my ownership. Finally split the case for the first time last winter and rebuilt the bottom end, not bad after 70k mostly track miles!

Good Racing,

Joseph Fawsitt
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Thanks everyone!

Great to hear from you Joseph, I still have regrets about selling that car! I never touched the case either, did a top end in 2002 or so, so that's a lot of years and miles of racing!

Yes I was at Laguna for Rennsport, I finished 4th. I was running second and dropped a wheel on the outside of the corkscrew and I think the sharp curb started a strip getting torn out of my tire. I thought I just had a nasty flatspot and heavy vibration, which I was managing for the last half of the race, but when I got back to the paddock and pulled the tire, there was a strip missing about halfway around the tire, partway through the casing/belts, prob half an inch deep. I never would have finished the race had I had any idea what the tire was like!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you on here Jim! Thanks for all the help and competition so far!! I'll miss you and Doug in the 996 class - I was able to learn a lot from you veterans!

Congrats on a perfect season so far!!
See ya at the track!

Ricky

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the introduction. Your reputation precedes you. Welcome to the board.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Skypalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I want to do what you did, not sure if I can afford to take it as far though. Any advice on how to proceed up as you did? Feel free to PM me.
Would you mind doing this more publicly, so that others can learn, chime in, etc.?

Would a new thread in the Racing & Driver's Ed forum be the best choice?

If you're agreeable, go ahead and start, and perhaps be a little more specific about what specific aspirations you have, and what you're particularly curious about. I'm guessing that driving regional events in Seattle and Portland for years is probably not at the top of your list :-)

I'll start off the (to be moved) discussion saying that every time I go on track, I have specific goals, that almost invariably involve both learning (trying some new things) and executing (a plan for how to execute the session).

I also tried to be thoughtful about which car, series, and events I'd run, primarily making choices that would allow (and require) me to learn as much as possible, while still having fun and hanging out with people that I enjoy hanging out with.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Public is fine. I have expressed to my instructors that I would love to progress to that level. I quickly went through the beginner levels and am now in the intermediate group. But I love driving and I love teaching...sounds like a good combo.

As I get closer to pulling the trigger on a dedicated track car - it opens up the opp. for racing as well. While I am a way off - It would be nice to progress the same way many of you already have.

I will start a new thread - maybe it can be sticky.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the intro.
I believe we met at the rose cup in 2010? I was driving Jay Culbertson's 996 in the PCA group.
Good luck in the pirelli cup this year.
Cory
Old 05-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Thanks Cory! Yes we did, and Jay does a great job keeping that car meticulous doesn't he? Great job for what I believe was your first time at Portland.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Skypalace
Thanks Cory! Yes we did, and Jay does a great job keeping that car meticulous doesn't he? Great job for what I believe was your first time at Portland.
Jay is a super nice guy. All of his cars are very clean and well kept. Portland was a lot of fun. Hope to make it back out there some day.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

im just starting out and hope to go the same direction!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! that is an inspiring story. I'll always keep it in mind through my development to reach my goal: ''racing in a platinum cup serie''

Quick Reply: Who am I?