Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Michelin Cup Tire Prices raised ~10% last Friday

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
It's related to the price of oil. Anything with petroleum is going up. In my real job, we deal with stretch film, bubble wrap, tape, etc. It's all going up. I'm getting price increases almost daily. I just ordered polybags....11% increase from three months ago.
Maybe so but I see absolutely no benefit to make Michelin the spec tire and now that they have a captive market they bump prices 10%. Call me crazy but the whole think stinks. They will recapture any monies given to PCA shortly.
No discount, or price freeze, but a price increase. Sorry Manny, but that was poor negotiation on our part.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Oil price increases? Sure, but why is JMG $90 a set more than the very same tires from Sube (see the other thread on this), and we HAVE TO BUY FROM JMG?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So just buy them from Sube until they raise their prices if it is a general price increase.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrellT
So just buy them from Sube until they raise their prices if it is a general price increase.
Volume 12.1 of PCA Club Racing News contains the Chairman's column where he says:

The GTC3, GTC4, and GTC5 classes will benefit the most from the JMG/Michelin sponsorship. They will be required to run Michelin race tires purchased from JMG [emphasis added]. They will also run windshield banners with the sponsors’ logo and wear driver’s suit patches from both JMG and Michelin.

I do not recall seeing elsewhere the obligation to buy from JMG. Not sure how PCA intends to enforce this rule, if it is a rule.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the tires have specific bar coding to identify them
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Maybe so but I see absolutely no benefit to make Michelin the spec tire and now that they have a captive market they bump prices 10%. Call me crazy but the whole think stinks. They will recapture any monies given to PCA shortly.
No discount, or price freeze, but a price increase. Sorry Manny, but that was poor negotiation on our part.
I agree...

Quick Reply: Michelin Cup Tire Prices raised ~10% last Friday