Notices

Fuel Cells and bladder replacement in Factory Cars (Cups and so on)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
McRae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
This certification was good for 2 years. I did not ask the specific question and don't know if he did, but how many times it can be "recertified" but I would be surprised if it was "only" 1 time.
Be surprised... 1 time only on the recertification and that is only issued if it passes the supplier inspections (and they are very strict on judging possible wear issues). This is per FIA regulations and in Europe you can forget to pass scrutineering with an old certificate. How they implement it in scrutineering over on your side of the pond, that I don't know.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

This is a big advantage when buying a Cup car WITHOUT a fuel cell......you won't have that expense coming up.

And you don't have to run a fuel cell in SCCA's Pro Racing WC and most don't run them unless the car is a 2011+ as they came standard starting in 2011.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased a 2005 cup car. I had been looking at several. I purchased one of the two that did not have a cell, but a tank. I was aware of the potential issue and the cost involved. In fact, the car I purchased had, at one time, a cell in it but was converted back to the tank. The PO offered the cell if I was interested. I was not.

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally dont see it as that big a deal. fuel cell is a nice thing to have for track driving never mind racing, replacing isnt anything more than an afternoons work and at $5k for a replacement just budget $1k a year, thats not even a set of new rubber just to put things into perspective. you also dont have the ruptured in tank hose headache that can come with the stock tank.
ive never even bothered with a recert, just throw a new one in when its time and forget for the next 5 years (or more if you arent using it racing).

Quick Reply: Fuel Cells and bladder replacement in Factory Cars (Cups and so on)