Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

How do your trailer your Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012 | 10:07 PM
trader247
Instructor

Default How do your trailer your Cup?

What options are you all using to trailer your Cup cars? I just moved back to the Cal/Nev area (Lake Tahoe) and am about to pull the trigger on a Cup car. In the past I have just driven my car to local DE events. Now I want to do some racing and will need to travel, plus with a Cup car I will need to trailer it.

I have a V8 VW Toureq and that may work as an initial tow vehicle. I am taking baby steps at first and most of my initial disposable race money will go into getting me a Cup car.

Who does open vs. closed trailers? And I may want to upgrade my towing vehicle.
Old 01-04-2012 | 11:52 PM
Zuluracerx
Instructor

I have pulled my Cup with my Featherlite 3110, but as far as going all out you will want pro support to get the most out of the car. At least that is the conclusion I have quickly reached with my Cup, and I was a diehard do it yourself-er. There is just too much going on if you really want to be fast. Now, I guess it is conceivable you could transport your car to the track and then have full support once you arrive. But, trust me you will want a crew chief with radio support, data logging support, tire support, fuel support, wing man support, etc. My .02. John
Old 01-05-2012 | 01:50 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

I've towed mine on an open trailer occasionally but with no windows and all the extra gear you need for a cup you will quickly want an enclosed trailer. Mines a 22' but it's extra tall so you have racks high. All aluminium but it takes a full size truck to pull it. I used to pull my open all day long with a V8 X5 and it was easy but not for this. Four of the local guys have their own trailers and have used track support of some sort, but mostly bring their cars out on our own. Depends on what your goals are. If you can afford it having someone bring it out and provide support is great, but a little spendy for local track days. One nice setup a local has is a v nose 20' featherlight, short height with the escape door. Tows it behind a cayenne, he's very happy with it, he's towed it all over the west. Not a huge spares package, he packs it light like a suitcase, but if you do a good preflight and don't run into anything you can do ok. Get a winch! Driving up/down the trailer ramp is hard on it best pull it on.
Old 01-05-2012 | 11:56 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

The nicest compact setup I've seen was a gentlemen in our region. He had a trailex 80180 with a 997 RSR. In the front V nose he had a custom rack with fuel tank and generator. Two wheels on each side of the "V" at the lower level with winch in the middle. Nitro bottles for air jacks were strapped right behind. It was a very tight fit and had to remove engine lid cause wing was too wide. Wish I had pictures.
Old 01-05-2012 | 12:00 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

It's my personal opinion that you should really rethink the cup car purchase, gather some track time and enter into racing with something else.

This has all been said before by wiser folks than I.
Old 01-05-2012 | 01:53 PM
Cheyne
Instructor

996 cups are great
Old 01-05-2012 | 02:14 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

I'd guess that 95%+ of Cups that show up at track events arrive via enclosed trailers. Racing it's probably 100%.
Old 01-05-2012 | 04:58 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

We have both open and enclosed, tow with my DD F250 CC diesel. If you stop with the cup on an open trailer, you can't lock it up like a street car so overnight in hotel parking lots, at a restaurant, bathroom breaks when you are alone, etc, can be tough... and then you have the dust and rain getting in if it has no windows. The tires are big and we bring 2 extra sets, plus a boatload of spares and tools. It's a big nugget to have to get both the car and truck/trailer set up at the same time though. Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2012 | 05:04 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trader247
I am taking baby steps at first and most of my initial disposable race money will go into getting me a Cup car.
Then you should reconsider your decision. The car cost is just the entry fee... the expensive portion start after the initial purchase.

I personally have no track support but I am VERY busy during racing weekends between races, and if I have a more important issue with the car this is normally the end of the event for me. I am OK with that but as mentionned by others it depends of your personnal goals. You will still need mechanical support between each weekend though. I use a 20' enclosed ATC which I tow with a MB GL diesel.
Old 01-08-2012 | 03:40 PM
tedean
Racer

I started with small steps although some thought it was a leap. My steps:

Bought a street GT3 for track, gather as much knowledge about tracking to see if I would stay interested.

Bought a open trailer, all aluminum, being told it would resell faster than steel. Knew I was going to just drive local tracks.

Added roll bar. Bought another set of wheels. Was thinking of adding exhaust and thought, wait, why start spending all this money when I wanted to race in real races. Hmmmm, what race car to buy?

Really liked the DE events, but knowing I have always like to race wheel to wheel just about anything, bought a CUP (just too old for motocross and shifter carts)

Seek the right people to learn from. Have been lurking around Rennlist, a lot of intelligence on this forum.

OK, more info than you needed, but now, thinking of fully enclosed trailer, but now I need a truck. I want to travel further, need to take more stuff!

Shopping for trucks and enclosed trailers as I type......

I have not looked back. I love th Cup! Yes, it cost more, but it is purpose built. I am my own track support team and don't mind doing that. Love tinkering with stuff, for instance, installed the PMNA blipped last week.

Oh, best advice someone gave me was to add a wench to the trailer, must have!

Anyway, I bet you have fun, good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2012 | 10:52 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

You don't want to racing w/o a trailer wench.
Phil
Old 01-08-2012 | 10:54 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

^^^classic...
Old 01-09-2012 | 08:22 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
You don't want to racing w/o a trailer wench.
Phil
Baaawaahh...I'll also be adding one this winter - with her own batteries!!!

Quick Reply: How do your trailer your Cup?