GT3 Cups dominate SCCA Runoffs in GT-2

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 10:04 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 Cups dominate SCCA Runoffs in GT-2

09/23/2011
Jurczyk Dashes To Gumout GT-2 National Championship at SCCA Runoffs

Mark Jurczyk leads Mark Boden on his way to the Gumout GT-2 race National Championship.

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. - Provisional Results from Friday’s Gumout GT-2 National Championship Race, part of the 48th SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Road America with finish position, starting position in parenthesis, driver, hometown, car and laps complete.

1. (4) Mark Jurczyk, Chicago, IL, Porsche GT3 Cup, 13.
2. (3) Tom Patton, Hamilton, OH, Sunbeam Tiger, 13.
3. (1) Mark Boden, Winnetka, IL, Porsche GT3 Cup, 13.
4. (5) Gary Stewart, York, PA, Porsche GT3 Cup, 13.
5. (6) Robert Lentz, Leesburg, VA, Nissan 300ZX, 13.
6. (7) Bob Humphreys, Greenville, SC, Porsche GT3 Cup, 13.
7. (8) Tim Gray, Eden Prairie, MN, Porsche GT3 Cup, 13.

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (Sept. 23, 2011) – Mark Jurczyk, of Chicago, Ill., withstood a battle from Mark Boden, of Winnetka, Ill., and raced to his first SCCA National Championship during the Gumout GT-2 race on Friday at Road America. Boden recovered from a spin to finish third, behind Tom Patton, of Hamilton, Ohio. Boden’s No. 45 Fall-Line Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup raced away from the field from the pole on the opening lap, leading by nearly three seconds the first time past the stripe. By lap five, Jurczyk had cut the lead to less than a second in his No. 21 Players Porsche GT3 Cup. Jurczyk moved past Boden on the inside of turn five on that lap, and the two ran essentially nose-to-tail until lap 10. In turn one, Jurczyk ran wide and left the door open for Boden to move back into the lead. The two Porsches were running an almost identical pace, but Jurczyk used the draft going into turn five and moved to the inside. Boden’s defensive line kept Jurczyk from going by in that corner, but the ensuing run moved Jurczyk back into the lead. With a lap and a half remaining and Boden looking for a way into the lead, the Fall-Line Porsche spun in turn three and into the grass, sending Jurczyk to a 4.621-second margin of victory and his first National Championship. Jurczyk, who started fourth, also earned the Sunoco Hard Charger for improving the most positions in the race. Jurczyk turned the Hawk Fast Lap of the race in 2:17.732 (104.551 mph) – a new class record at the Runoffs - on his way to the title, leading eight laps and averaging 103.227 mph over the race distance...<snip>

Now in its 48th year, the SCCA National Championship Runoffs annually crowns Champions in the Sports Car Club of America’s Club Racing classes. The live broadcast of all 28 National Championship races will be available throughout the weekend at www.SpeedcastTV.com/scca and later available On Demand from the same site.

Follow the action on Twitter @SCCAOfficial or the SCCA, Inc. Official Facebook page at facebook.com/sccaofficial. More information is available at www.scca.com.
Old 09-24-2011 | 11:04 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

I know Mark's been working hard for this one for quite some time. Congrats to him and BTR for the win!
Old 09-24-2011 | 05:26 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

I spoke with Boden on Thursday. He was really looking forward to the race but said it would be tough.

Their times are pretty impressive!
Old 09-24-2011 | 05:40 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Awesome!!! I wish I could run GT2 again, had a blast in '05.
Old 09-26-2011 | 12:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Nice.

But...2nd was a SUNBEAM TIGER?! what the... Please tell me it was some kind of tube frame car with 600hp and wings...
Old 09-26-2011 | 08:35 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J richard
Nice.

But...2nd was a SUNBEAM TIGER?! what the... Please tell me it was some kind of tube frame car with 600hp and wings...
Now there you go....dissing Sunbeams.

What's next on yer list, the Triumph Spitfire?
Old 09-26-2011 | 03:03 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I spoke with Boden on Thursday. He was really looking forward to the race but said it would be tough.

Their times are pretty impressive!
The times were very impressive, and what an awesome track... those guys must be really hustling the cars around, hope to find some in-car video

Nice.

It is a Carrol Shelby tweaked version of a Sunbeam Alpine, for SCCA competition it would have either 289 cubic inch(4.7L) or 260(4.2L) Ford V8 and weigh in at 2280lbs. The driver, Tom Patton has been to the Runoff's many times and has won the national championship in that car.

The Sunbeam Tiger British classic sports car, made by the Rootes Group, England, was the brainchild of Ian Garrad. Ian convinced Rootes to hire American Carroll Shelby, the originator of the Shelby Cobra, to design a new model based on their Sunbeam Alpine roadster, into a fire-breathing performance machine. The Carroll Shelby design team removed the Sunbeam Alpine1.7 liter four cylinder engine and replaced it with a small block 4.2 liter Ford V-8, similar to the way he transformed the AC roadster into the Shelby Cobra, and production began in England in 1964.
Old 09-26-2011 | 03:32 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
Awesome!!! I wish I could run GT2 again, had a blast in '05.
Mike, you know those 996 cups are fun to drive! And not that expensive to have as a 3rd race car!
Old 09-26-2011 | 04:39 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TwentySix
The Sunbeam Tiger British classic sports car, made by the Rootes Group, England, was the brainchild of Ian Garrad. Ian convinced Rootes to hire American Carroll Shelby, the originator of the Shelby Cobra, to design a new model based on their Sunbeam Alpine roadster, into a fire-breathing performance machine. The Carroll Shelby design team removed the Sunbeam Alpine1.7 liter four cylinder engine and replaced it with a small block 4.2 liter Ford V-8, similar to the way he transformed the AC roadster into the Shelby Cobra, and production began in England in 1964.
Oh yea very familiar which is why I was so suprised...figured it had to be highly modified... did it have a shoephone?
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011 | 06:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Oh yea very familiar which is why I was so suprised...figured it had to be highly modified... did it have a shoephone?
LOL!

Old 09-26-2011 | 08:54 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  

Last edited by TwentySix; 09-27-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2011 | 11:46 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

2:17's are VERY strong in the 996! I've raced against Boden in the rain at Sebring and the guy can wheel a car...

Quick Reply: GT3 Cups dominate SCCA Runoffs in GT-2