Notices

Need new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Certainly didn't seem to hinder them today at Laguna. Did you know they (GTC) cars had to run a 62mm restrictor? Guess there lap times were too close to the GT cars....
The problem is the GT cars are much faster in lap times but could not pass us on the straights without the restrictor! They can still barely pass us in sheer acceleration, but they carry a lot more speed in the corners and brake MUCH harder so they can get around us pretty well now. It was really odd coming down the hill behind a Ford GT or Jaguar and drafting him all the way down the front straight at LRP. Those Ford V8s must be severely restricted.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yep I heard they've been running 600/800 at select tracks including Laguna where they are this weekend with ALMS. So how did the car feel on their setup?...
That is what I have on my car. My experience is that stiffer spring is faster but only for few laps as the tires are beaten to death and can't last a whole race. Softer is much better for consistent laps in a race. Often I will pass faster car in the last few laps of a race as they don't have any grip left.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take a look under the hood on the GT class cars at their restrictors. They've got they engines sucking through tiny openings. It's almost like it's having to take it's air through a drinks straw.
Crazy stuff.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
That is what I have on my car. My experience is that stiffer spring is faster but only for few laps as the tires are beaten to death and can't last a whole race. Softer is much better for consistent laps in a race. Often I will pass faster car in the last few laps of a race as they don't have any grip left.
Good point. I also think the really stiff cup springs make the car difficult to get comfortable in and hinder the learning curve. We've had 4 cups this year that the driver's went significantly faster (and liked their cars more) when they went to softer springs. It's a big confidence builder.

You can always go stiffer later if you want, but TRG won the ALMS-GTC class yesterday at Laguna on 600/800 lb. springs and perhaps even less....

Yes I realize that takes the cars out of the GTC classes but we run weight/WHP classes mostly....

Quick Reply: Need new shocks