Notices

slicks tire selection - Michelin vs Yoko vs Hoosier etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smmmurf
That is great information on the compound update. I'll call a couple Yoko dealers. Thank you.

By chance, have you compared the new Yoko to say, a Michelin N1/N2 or Hoosier R80/R100 in terms of performance (and longevity but that is secondary).
Michelin (the N2 is Porsche specific) is THE fastest slicks available. Hoosier is releasing a new radial slick in the S80 and S100 compound this year. Some sizes are available already.

Longevity and performance are always dependent on the driver and how well the car is set up.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smmmurf
FWIW, I spoke with a Yokohama/Pirelli/Hoosier tire dealer and they confirmed that the Yoko does leave some performance on the table compared to the Pirelli and Hoosier in exchange for better consistency and longevity. This is somewhat offset by the multiple compounds available, i.e. super soft, soft, medium, and hard.
That's different from my experience. I tested the Yokes (old compound) and Hoosier back-to-back at Laguna with the Yokes being a few tenths quicker. The new Yokes are significantly faster than that. I found the Hoosiers to last longer though. I ran Pirelli's at least 4 years ago and didn't like them at all. I'm pretty certain they're a different tire now....
Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 AM
HSGmotorsport
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running slicks in opposite direction

Has anyone run Yokohama A005 slicks on the rear in the opposite direction to the 'drive' rotation? After they have been heat-cycled. They state they're non directional however I'd be interested to hear peoples experiences....
Old 07-15-2020, 03:31 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Mike:
have you considered Pirelli P zero (DH)? last year I switched to Michelin, bought two sets. While I am nowhere near the fastest, I noticed a marked drop off with the Michelin’s, much sooner than with the Pirelli. This year switched back to Pirelli. The Pirellis are a couple of $$ more expensive than the Michelin’s but last longer.....Just my .02 GL

Quick Reply: slicks tire selection - Michelin vs Yoko vs Hoosier etc