Sponsored by:

Hope this road taken works out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hope this road taken works out

I took the dive. Sold my beloved 07 GT3 street car and bought a 04 Cup. I will have my first scare at Roebling this weekend. Car is in great shape with low hours (thanks GP) , its 2005 specs with 3.8 liter motor and Motons. Right now its just for DE's with maybe CLub Racing in the future. I decide on this path because of 2 things 1) did not want to mess up a valuable street car with mods 2.) the cup is much safer. Last 3 DE's someone has trashed their "street" car. As I see it if I shunt the GT3 is worth half, If I shunt the Cup, as long as its not bad and repaired well no one cares, its expected.

This should fun if not somewhat intimidating at first. I know one thing , that damn clutch is a PITA....
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Congrats on the new car! It is one of, if not the best 996's around. Was always fun to drive and the previous owner spared no expense in its upkeep. We might be down at Roebling on Friday to do some shakedown work on a customers cars. Maybe we will see you there.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

congrats on the cup.
one day.....
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

That car is probably the best 996 I have ever driven, including the 2 I owned. It should be a great car for years to come.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
hughp3
Pro

Thanks guys. It was definitely the car I was looking for. Cory if your still there Saturday hope to see you. don't expect you will see the next Alonso but you will see a big grin.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Thanks guys. It was definitely the car I was looking for. Cory if your still there Saturday hope to see you. don't expect you will see the next Alonso but you will see a big grin.
What a great attitude. Isn't that what life's supposed to be about?....
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

pic pls
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
hughp3
Pro

I do not have any highrez yet since the car has basically gone from AutoMetrics to GoldCrest (check over, new seat for larger buddy size, new tires, brakes etc..) then over to TopSpeed for dyno check out. So these are from AutoMetrics beforehand.
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations to your new car. It looks great on the pictures! I've raced a 3.8L with Öhlins, it was definitely a step up from the standard Cup. Was never fond of the stock suspension on the 6Cup.

Sounds like a smart move and a move done by good reasons. The people I know who've done similar, usually burst out in a "I should have done this long time ago!"

So tell us a bit more. What are the plans, except scaring the cr@p out of your fellow club members?
Have you started hunting for lightly used slicks yet? Seat is padded as you want it? Drafted on a vinyl theme? Looking for MoTeC sensors?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested in the dyno numbers on the 3.8L!

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
I would be interested in the dyno numbers on the 3.8L!

Thanks!
One out here dyno'd in front of me at 424 rwhp with SAE correction. Even the owner was surprised as it only hit 450 on PMNA engine dyno....
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! I bought mine a year ago and have never looked back. You'll be racing in no time...
Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
hughp3
Pro

Geez my plans - well I need a year or more in the car to really get to know it, then we will see if I get cocky or not. Actually my goal is to move from group 4 to 5 in PCA somewhere in that time frame. I also hope to get more coaching this summer - but - what I need the most is plain ol' seat time. I did join the "soon to be" Atlanta Motorsports Park (hurry up there Jeremy) where I can get 2 track weekends in per month. Will do a bit of karting at AMP also when that track comes around. I do feel I will never outskill this car, I know the threshold is far beyond my grasp right now. So tires - I opted put new new Michelin's back on it. I have 2 more sets of wheels one with scrubs, don't know how old those are though. I hope these last a bit. If not I may have to try Hoosiers which are a bit nicer on the wallet. Just wanted to try the real deal once though. I added a new, larger OMP seat that fits perfect with no padding. The original owner obviously works out more than I do or I eat more than him. Right now I am in need of some equipment for the air jacks. I need a hose made up and I need to mount a bottle in the trailer. I do have refueling stuff from FloFast and my very own 55 gallon drum of VP100. The Motec Sport logs a bunch of stuff but what I really want is predictive lap timing that is GPS based. I think I would greatly benefit from immediate sector feedback lap after lap if these timing systems really work. I think thats it - oh and I really hope to get this damn clutch figured out. Stalling is embarrassing!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful car!

Mooty took the words out of my mouth: someday!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE oh and I really hope to get this damn clutch figured out. Stalling is embarrassing![/QUOTE]

get used to it. I bought my 00 in 06 and have mods up to 05.. use mostly for DE's and the clutch thing doesn't change.. especially when I upgraded to the Tilton clutch 2 years ago.. and the other thing that does not change is the HUGE GRIN... it doesn't go away.
have a great time I hope your experience is as good as mine has been.. they are great cars and this new experience is going to be a great journey with no end in sight...

Quick Reply: Hope this road taken works out