Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

GT3 Cup or R-RSR engine builders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts
Default GT3 Cup or R-RSR engine builders?

I'm considering replacing my '06 cup engine to increase power and save weight. I believe none of the motorsports RS/ RSR motors are very suitable for me as delivered, as I'm looking for longer time between rebuilds and a more flexible powerband than those motors are know for.

Thus I think I'm looking for a special built with a mix of motorsports and perhaps street parts. If you guys were looking to get such a project done, who would you talk to? Any recommendations or usual suspects?

TIA
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'm considering replacing my '06 cup engine to increase power and save weight. I believe none of the motorsports RS/ RSR motors are very suitable for me as delivered, as I'm looking for longer time between rebuilds and a more flexible powerband than those motors are know for.

Thus I think I'm looking for a special built with a mix of motorsports and perhaps street parts. If you guys were looking to get such a project done, who would you talk to? Any recommendations or usual suspects?

TIA
I went through this and it gets complicated...a big hurtle is the ECU. PMNA has a pretty good lock out on the mapping of the Bosch ECU, so if you want to do something custom you are going to need to go with Motec.

I was going to do something custom with hydraulic valvetrain and individual throttle bodies, but after a looong process ended up basically building a 2004 RSR spec 3-ring piston motor. In a club race environment it should be about 50 hours between refreshes. The main issue with the lifespan is the solid lifter valvetrain which needs maintenance.

It is complicated to figure out what parts are compatible with what. There are different rod lengths that work with different pistons, different cams that need different cam boxes, etc etc. If I was going to go for the best balance of lifespan/power and money was no object it's hard to beat the new 3.8 cup motors...if you wanted to get wild you could put throttle bodies and a carbon plenum on it which would probably bump the power a bit.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would recommend Loren Beggs of 911 Design in So Cal. He's been building 4.0 liter cup motors that dyno around 450rwhp and haven't had any issues to date...
www.nine11design.com
Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Send Gordon at autometrics an email. Gordon@autometricsmotorsports.com He should be able to build exactly what you are looking for.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff Gamroth @ Rothsport
503-885-9626
rothsport@frontier.com

My RS is about to undergo a 4.0L conversion with individual throttle bodies. I'm sure Jeff could build an engine that delivers what you are after and more.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Kent Moore
Premier Sportscar Service
4005 West Dewey Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89118

Shop Hours: M-F 9-6:00
(702) 649-8267
Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to complicate matters, but I just had my Cup motor rebuilt to a 3.8 liter from a World Challenge spec 3.6. Jim Labine at PMNA said the engine dynoed at 470...

Tough to beat.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Not to complicate matters, but I just had my Cup motor rebuilt to a 3.8 liter from a World Challenge spec 3.6. Jim Labine at PMNA said the engine dynoed at 470...

Tough to beat.
For clarification, that would be flywheel HP on their engine dyno. RWHP assuming a 10-12% loss would then be somewhere between 415-425....
Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I think you should contact all the fine shops recommended here and ask them to prepare a written estimate based on what you're looking for and the condition of your motor. It would be really interesting to see what shops recommend and their respective costs.....
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
For clarification, that would be flywheel HP on their engine dyno. RWHP assuming a 10-12% loss would then be somewhere between 415-425....
Correct.

Were you saying that Loren's builds have that much power at the wheels?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Autometrics. They have built impeccable engines for me in the past for my 996, and recently I had a chance to check a build by them, 3.8 engine in a 997 at Road Atlanta, and that thing was almost pulling away from my 2011 Cup car. VERY impressive!!

Gordon is not only an experienced engine builder, he will also stand by his word and work (and that part I know it first hand). You can't go wrong with him.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

FAP
Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I think you should contact all the fine shops recommended here and ask them to prepare a written estimate based on what you're looking for and the condition of your motor. It would be really interesting to see what shops recommend and their respective costs.....
LOL, "written estimate"....
you MUST have heard of "change orders" in your line of work
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Correct.

Were you saying that Loren's builds have that much power at the wheels?
Yep. His 2 recent 4.0's both dyno'd over 450 rwhp.....
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

There are a ton of options and configurations with the 4.0 liter platform.
Are you looking to do a proper 4.0 liter as a stroker engine or are you going the way of doing pistons and cylinders only.

Do you want a sprint engine or an endurance engine?

There are options for ECU tune as well and we can help with that from Motec to Bosch Motorsport to a custom tune if needed.

We have a complete and proper test cell where we dyno all our cars and can provide engine dyno data as well so you can compare and get an accurate number of the real power the engine makes.

Feel free to drop me an email and I would be happy to advise of options.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You may want to give Peter or Trevor a call at Dawes Motorsports. Sure see alot of his Cup cars up front at PCA races.

http://www.dawesmotorsports.com

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup or R-RSR engine builders?