Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Motec data/video sync

Hey guys

I am looking for a setup that can sync data and video information with my 07 Cup Motec system. Chasecam offer a bunch of options such as "commander" with GPS lap timer shown below.

Any recommendations? Are there any HD video/GPS lap timer system that can sync with Motec? I used traqmate in the past

Last edited by mikymu; 02-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Speak to Chris Brown at Motec USA West. He's your best bet for good information.
MoTeC Systems
5355 Industrial Drive,
Huntington Beach,
CA 92649
Voice: +1 714 897 6804
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Speak to Chris Brown at Motec USA West. He's your best bet for good information.
MoTeC Systems
5355 Industrial Drive,
Huntington Beach,
CA 92649
Voice: +1 714 897 6804
Thanks Peter. Will give him a call today

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my cup, i used Motec's own VCS (video camera) system, as well as their GPS module. worked solidly.
Geoff Ring is a motec dealer and a contributing member on the site, and an ex-scrutineer. he did the install, did a terrific job and would be a great source indiscussing your needs.

nice thing about motec's vcs system as you can then import the video right into your i2 data analysis so you can see realtime the data WITH real time video so you can see not only all your variables, parameters, but what, visually, was going on when each tick of those items occurred.

i believe speedsources' #69 bought my system when i sold the car and the system within.

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey guys

I am looking for a setup that can sync data and video information with my 07 Cup Motec system. Chasecam offer a bunch of options such as "commander" with GPS lap timer shown below.

Any recommendations? Are there any HD video/GPS lap timer system that can sync with Motec? I used traqmate in the past

Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Pete Smallwood
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just ordered the motec video synchro system, plus adding predictive lap timing to my MY08 cup car.

Trying it out for the first time on 18th March and can't wait.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
GK Systems
AutoX

Default GK System and Motec Video Sync

Hey Guys,
I was just forwarded this thread..

I just want to help out his community where we can, and get the real racing tech into the hands of all.

We have been doing our own version of the video, data and GPS all totally integrated and synced together for several years now. We have allot of top drivers and teams using our system. James Sofronas and the GMG Racing team that competes in ALMS, IMSA and SCCA World challenge use it exclusively. We even have a drivers coaching and development system that James and I use to coach and develop the drivers skill set to the next level.

A quick synapsis,

We can sync any data point to any video point and GPS position with just one click.
the system works in any direction, so if a GPS position is selected the video and all logged data is visible for that point, or any data point that might be selected or video frame. we can even do this with 2 drivers, 2 laps or even 2 different cars, as long as they are all using the system.

We can do all this with the GPS, for less than the price of the VCS alone, Just FYI

If anyone needs some info please contact James at GMG he has a PPS on the system and its capabilities.

Thanks
Gary
GK
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GK Systems
We can sync any data point to any video point and GPS position with just one click.
the system works in any direction, so if a GPS position is selected the video and all logged data is visible for that point, or any data point that might be selected or video frame. we can even do this with 2 drivers, 2 laps or even 2 different cars, as long as they are all using the system.

We can do all this with the GPS, for less than the price of the VCS alone, Just FYI

Thanks
Gary
GK
Sounds like VVBox Pro...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
GK Systems
AutoX

Default GK Systems and Motec video sync

Sounds like VVBox Pro...
Yeah...but its not...

Peter,

The V Box Guys were after me hard this year to sell their product...But It just did not work for me. Even after an exhausting sales pitch day at my shop with their techs, there were still issues that they could not work out, or do what I asked.

I was disappointed because I thought it had great potential and I think it works fine as a stand alone, but when I showed them what I can do and asked for them to recreate it , We found out that it could not be done to the scale of which I was already doing.

I really liked the V box concept, but like I said it just did not work out for what we are doing..too bad.

Good luck with your V box Program....

Sample Videos can be seen @ http://www.youtube.com/gksystemsracing

Gary
GK
Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

VBox is certainly one of many systems and software packages that I've found very helpful in driver development. As a video system with limited data capability, the VBox Lite works well and at a pretty good price point.

I've sold it as part of a program to the Ariel Atom folks for their Spec Racer Atom Series because it's simple, reliable and starts and stops automatically. Plus the video quality is very good for SD. I don't buy the idea that HD is a requirement for meaningful for coaching and driver improvement.

I like Traqmate for it's simplicity, Race Technology for it's configurability, power and chassis engineering capability, Race-Keeper for a number of it's comparison features and multi cameras as well as it's OBD-II and CAN interface, Video VBox for it's GPS features and CAN interface and AiM SmartyCam as a self contained solution (now that you may be able to export data that had been embedded in the video to Race Studio 2).

I sell and train people in the use of all of them, so it's fun to learn about new systems and other developments.

Would love to see yours!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GK Systems
Yeah...but its not...

Peter,

The V Box Guys were after me hard this year to sell their product...But It just did not work for me. Even after an exhausting sales pitch day at my shop with their techs, there were still issues that they could not work out, or do what I asked.

I was disappointed because I thought it had great potential and I think it works fine as a stand alone, but when I showed them what I can do and asked for them to recreate it , We found out that it could not be done to the scale of which I was already doing.

I really liked the V box concept, but like I said it just did not work out for what we are doing..too bad.

Good luck with your V box Program....

Sample Videos can be seen @ http://www.youtube.com/gksystemsracing

Gary
GK
Will it work with an AIM system? Where can we find more info?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 AM
GK Systems
AutoX

Default GK Systems Motec Video sync

Originally Posted by Lolaman
VBox is certainly one of many systems and software packages that I've found very helpful in driver development. As a video system with limited data capability, the VBox Lite works well and at a pretty good price point.

I've sold it as part of a program to the Ariel Atom folks for their Spec Racer Atom Series because it's simple, reliable and starts and stops automatically. Plus the video quality is very good for SD. I don't buy the idea that HD is a requirement for meaningful for coaching and driver improvement.

I like Traqmate for it's simplicity, Race Technology for it's configurability, power and chassis engineering capability, Race-Keeper for a number of it's comparison features and multi cameras as well as it's OBD-II and CAN interface, Video VBox for it's GPS features and CAN interface and AiM SmartyCam as a self contained solution (now that you may be able to export data that had been embedded in the video to Race Studio 2).

I sell and train people in the use of all of them, so it's fun to learn about new systems and other developments.

Would love to see yours!
Stop By and see me at Sebring, I will be there all week long, supporting the IMSA Challenge, then the ALMS Race.
GK
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 AM
GK Systems
AutoX

Default GK Systems and Motec Video Sync

Originally Posted by IPguy
Will it work with an AIM system? Where can we find more info?
What Aim system are you speaking of video or data acc, both??

The set up we have been discussing here has mostly to do with MoTeC Data acc. and video integration.

What we do is fully integrate the video into I2 MoTeC's analysis system.

This way any data point any video frame and any GPS position can be synchronized so that no matter what we are analyzing we can move back and forth through all the recorded data.

This also helps us dismiss or validate our findings quickly, lets just use this example.

We look at some data and see that we had a fast lap going, but then we loose some time and can't explain why.
we can go right to the point of time loss on the graph then click the video, we might see that there was a slow car at the exit or entry of a turn and it ruined the lap.

Well then we do not have to worry about why we lifted or took a different line, we don't wast time analyzing something that is not a problem. Or we can validate that we need to address an issue or see that on this lap the driver broke at the 2 marker instead of the 3...exct.

The point is we need to quickly identify the variables in the data validate or dismiss any conclusion and then look for a answer on how to improve.

This is what we at GK Systems do for our clients.
I hope this answers some questions, more info please email

gary@gksystemsinc.com

Gary
GK
Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
dp35
Pro

Somewhat OT: Any experts here care to share opinions about Traqmate's new "Traqdash"? I already use the Traqmate system, and am considering upgrading to this new display, which seems pretty slick. But I hesitate to be an early adopter/beta tester.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

The MoTeC / Chasecam DIVA Integration via CAN is moving along nicely. We should start to see some fruit here shortly. I suspect this will be the reference standard for how to integrate video into any Cup with MoTeC already in it, or when adding a MoTeC system.

The DIVA supports up to 4 cameras. We have installed a bunch of them and use them in-house. There is still a bit of work todo to get the real time data overlay working perfectly so stay tuned. We have had lots of pent up demand for a properly integrated solution for MoTeC, and we believe this will be it.

Chasecam just announced HD units too. Now this is a little ways away, but there is an upgrade path from the SD unit.

Quick Reply: Motec data/video sync