Notices

what is an appx 996 cup car annual budget?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

I was thinking from around 4k (a track that is only 40 min to 3.5 hrs away)-7k per DE depending on consumable needs...not including any scheduled maintenance. Im allotting another 15-25k boot at the end of every season as well.

I dont know about racing as honestly, Im not planning to run this thing in one (would rather rent at that cost lol).

When I raced the 996tt I had...that was an easy 10k a weekend btw...and that wasnt a cup lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

$4-7k for a DE?!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

ya, but I have the garage prep, trailer and service the car at the track as well. Its definitely not inexpensive. Remember, tires alone per event are a good 1600-1900 (or x2 if you think you are running something like group 52 and can go through more) of that expense and you have to pay for the mechanics hotel room, gas etc. So around 2-4k is the car maintenance. Plus, if you want data analysis etc, that can cost extra.

fwiw, my gt3 (normal) was still around 2-3k all said and done per event given the consumables...so its not much more than that unless you money shift lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
ya, but I have the garage prep, trailer and service the car at the track as well. Its definitely not inexpensive. Remember, tires alone per event are a good 1600-1900 (or x2 if you think you are running something like group 52 and can go through more) of that expense and you have to pay for the mechanics hotel room, gas etc. So around 2-4k is the car maintenance. Plus, if you want data analysis etc, that can cost extra.

fwiw, my gt3 (normal) was still around 2-3k all said and done per event given the consumables...so its not much more than that unless you money shift lol.
I said it earlier and I'll say it again...

These are rather large numbers being thrown about and BIG percentage of them are costs not directly related to a cup car. On site mechanics, hotels, data analysis, etc are going to cost the same for any car. To a large extent, tires will cost the same for any car as well (given similar weight, hp and tire size).
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos

These are rather large numbers being thrown about and BIG percentage of them are costs not directly related to a cup car. On site mechanics, hotels, data analysis, etc are going to cost the same for any car. To a large extent, tires will cost the same for any car as well (given similar weight, hp and tire size).
exactly, I dont think running the cup is THAT much more than running the street car per event because so much of the cost is just doing the event the way "you" want to (for the 996 anyway). Someone who is ok with giving up a second or two towards the end of an event may be ok staying with the same set of tires for a whole weekend...or if you do your own trailering and prep etc and can save those costs, then that will drastically lower your cost....
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos

I ran my 03' cup for 4 years (100+ hours) and never experienced the kind of numbers being thrown around here. My experience is shared with my fellow 6-cup drivers here out West. IMHO 6-cups are cheap to run unless you have trackside support and all those associated costs. I blew 1 clutch & PP, and broke a lower control arm (scary), but other than that just normal wear & tear. Hell my 3.4 996 costs me more to run then my cup ever did.

If you're anywhere near a shop or individual running the IMSA Patron Cup series, you've just found yourself a great source of Yokohama take offs whcih are great for practice and even races depending on their previous use. We buy them here for $400-500 per set, with never more than 2-3 HC's and they last a whole lot longer than that....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 06-10-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I ran my 03' cup for 4 years (100+ hours) and never experienced the kind of numbers being thrown around here. My experience is shared with my fellow 6-cup drivers here out West. IMHO 6-cups are cheap to run unless you have trackside support and all those associated costs. I blew 1 clutch & PP, and broke a lower control arm (scary), but other than that just normal wear & tear. Hell my 3.4 996 costs me more to run then my cup ever did.

If you're anywhere near a shop or individual running the IMSA Patron Cup series, you've just found yourself a great source of Yokohama take offs whcih are great for practice and even races depending on their previous use. We buy them here for $400-500 per set, with never more than 2-3 HC's and they a whole lot longer than that....
If you drive your car to win, and equip it to win, and maintain it to win, AND if you dont transport or turn your own wrench, 12-15K per weekend.

If you want to go out and have fun, and run used tires (which I used to do so in DE days) and go way beyond the life cycle of critical parts, then yes it can be done more cheaply.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Chris (RSR racer) and Claykos. A Cup car by itself is not more expensive than any other car.

However, if you get into racing and you happen to have some competition, and God knows we are not doing this to watch the daisies go by but to win, then the expenses go up. It is not because of the car, but because of the associated support, resources and equipment required to be up front.

The car doesn't make it more expensive per se, it is the surrounding environment and expectations from the car what makes the costs go up.

I did 9 Club Race weekends last year and planning to do 10 this yer with a 996 Cup car. Every weeekend is different based on how much I want to drive, how fast I want to drive and how many resources I am putting on the table to be upfront.

Sorry to be vague, but as much as we want to brag that we are spending fortunes on this sport, the reality is that I don't want to know how much I spend to be up there with my Cup car....

CIAO!!!

FAP
Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
If you drive your car to win, and equip it to win, and maintain it to win, AND if you dont transport or turn your own wrench, 12-15K per weekend.

If you want to go out and have fun, and run used tires (which I used to do so in DE days) and go way beyond the life cycle of critical parts, then yes it can be done more cheaply.
You guys are way more expensive than the shops out West but then between POC, NASA, and PCA we race a lot more than you guys do....
Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fapena

Sorry to be vague, but as much as we want to brag that we are spending fortunes on this sport, the reality is that I don't want to know how much I spend to be up there with my Cup car....
+1!!!!

Even my '73 RS is getting ridiculous, this year due to trans and engine problems. A 996 cup would have been cheaper than the '73 the last few years and I could have completed races (the '73 has not finished any of it's last 5 or 6 race weekends).
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM
PelleM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just open the wallet and smile!
My normal answere is. It costs money! and if you don´t like it do something else.
This is my firt seson with the cup and I have spent more money than I spent
for two year on my 968, and that is on four race.
But the tourqe makes me smile!

Sorry for the mis spelling.

Pelle
Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
....That said, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Not all Cups are created equal...

Happy hunting.
Are you talking about specific cars or the differences between years? I've been doing my research, big preference for the 03-05 cars over the earlier ones but I'd love some specifics...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This whole subject is in clear violation of " racer code"
you all need to step away from the keyboard, do not, I repeat, do not attempt to consolidate receipts, itemize expenses, check or " keep a budget" from this point forward. All of you veteran " cup racers" I'm so disappointed after all your years of training, you engage in this exercise of foolish false fiduciary aspirations. You all know better.....good grief
If you continue, were going to have to escalate this...lol
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I just find a certain irony in the "greenhorn" who started this thread in the first place...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Are you talking about specific cars or the differences between years? I've been doing my research, big preference for the 03-05 cars over the earlier ones but I'd love some specifics...
Just commenting on the fact that not all Cup Cars are equal. Some are earlier but have the updates, some don't have the updates, some have had some major body work done, some have less crash history, some have lower hours on the motor, etc, etc. All of these have to be factored against how much you want to spend. The only real difference between and '03 car with all of the updates and an '05 car that I know of is the configuration of the cage.

I have seen some early cars with great drivers consistently beat newer cars so you then have to ask yourself how much is the car and how much is the guy behind the wheel....

Last edited by PedroNole; 08-30-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: what is an appx 996 cup car annual budget?