Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

GT3R "restoration"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to any updates! I love reading build threads like this.

Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
From previous experience I think ~2700 lbs and ~450 RWHP on hoosiers will be faster than 2700 and 390 rwhp on slicks - especially on a track with long straights like Miller.
The 450HP car with Hoosiers will certainly be hard to pass! Just make it to the 1st turn in the lead and hold on
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
The 450HP car with Hoosiers will certainly be hard to pass! Just make it to the 1st turn in the lead and hold on
Problem is I will be racing against 500-600 rwhp ~3000-3200 lb vipers and vettes. This is part of the reason why I think the HP is beneficial over the slicks. In comparison I think my cornering/braking will be better than theirs anyway even on DOTs....
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Big tires and big springs.....
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Thumbs up

Congrats on the project Clay! That is awesome. Can't wait to see it out 'n about.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

OK - so we have made a pitiful amount of progress on actually putting the thing together but a lot of progress in planning and collecting parts.

You know how things go....only so many hours in a week.

Right as I was about to pull the trigger on an OEM wiring harness I was contacted (through rennlist) by someone with a whole bucket of parts off a wrecked car. This included a Motec M600 ECU and a very slick Motec made wiring harness for the motor and the rear of the car. The price was too good to pass up and it also came with another motor ;-). The motor is some kind of cup motor that was converted to RSR throttle bodies and GT3R cams. Has about 20 hours and we will use it for testing before installing the "real" engine that is being rebuilt full tilt RSR.

I am pretty happy about this as being tied to the Porsche/Bosch ECU just didn't sit right with me. I know it is a very capable system, but I hate being locked out of things on my own car!! Don't like depending on anyone and not being able to get in and tinker. It also opened up a lot of options with how to build the motor rather than sticking close to a "factory" porsche configuration.

We also ended up getting one of the new Motec PDMs to wire up the rest of the car and eliminate all of the fuses and relays...so this weekend we started going through the whole car and figuring out what connectors, etc we need to build a new harness that runs everything through the PDM.

So here's a question for anyone listening:

My electric PS pump has 3 little wires (brown/white, blue/white, and black) in addition to the main power and ground. All my wiring diagrams/other info says there should be 2 small wires. Anyone know what the 3-wires are? Or what I have to do with them to make the P/S pump work properly.

Will post some pictures of other progress (rebuilding rear suspension, pedal assmebly, etc) soon.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Those wires are Power/Ground and terminal 61......

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Those wires are Power/Ground and terminal 61......
Thanks Rick - so terminal 61 is "D+" (alternator hot?)?

So, since I will be using the Motec PDM - I could just set logic to power that terminal only when rpm>xxx and have the other power off ignition hot?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

That would work just fine..!! Love that PDM...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
That would work just fine..!! Love that PDM...
Ya - it should be very cool when it's all wired up. Now just to figure out which one is the ground. The black? Or the brown/white striped?

I need to give you a call about some ABS options...never had it before but never had a car this expensive either!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
msk6403
Intermediate

Good luck with your rebuild. One day we should compare notes on my 996 RSR rebuild project...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Getting some more work done...have some pics too.

Got the rear uprights and brake calipers rebuilt and the rear suspension reinstalled.

Ohlins 3-way sShocks came back from the dyno/refresh. Rears installed, one front corner done.

rebuilt front uprights:

FINALLY got the fuel cell back from ATL. That was a nightmare....

Installed (also a pain!!)

Motec M600 ECU which will be used:

Motec PDM which will replace all fuses and relays (except a couple)

"Spare" motor which will be used in the car for testing (came with Motec ECU and harnessing!)

Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Clay looks great, keep em comming...

whats the story on the "test" motor, do you have any dyno sheets on it? not bad to have a spare laying around...
Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UGH! I really want a project. What does a 996 cup in need of some restoration (similar to what you've got) go for these days?

I just love projects! :P
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J richard
Clay looks great, keep em comming...

whats the story on the "test" motor, do you have any dyno sheets on it? not bad to have a spare laying around...
The motor is some kind of hot rod deal. The previous owner was told that it was refreshed to "rsr" spec - but I can tell you from looking through it a bit that it hasn't been. It has some kind of GT3R or RS cams, ported cup heads (I think), RSR individual throttle bodies and ?? for pistons (i'm assuming cup, but maybe GT3R or RS?). I talked to the guy that tuned the Motec and installed the RSR throttle bodies and he said it made a little over 400 at the flywheel - however it had a standard aluminum intake on it which he felt was really restricting the top end with the throttle bodies. I have a carbon intake I will put on and we'll see what it does. I would imagine somewhere between 370-390 at the wheels.

We bought it mostly because it came with all the Motec stuff I need to make the car run without the Bosch/Porsche motorsports ECU. There's nothing wrong with that ECU (and I have one...) but for the most part the only people that can touch it are PMNA and I wanted more flexibility/independence.

Hopefully we'll make some noise some time by mid december...

Quick Reply: GT3R "restoration"