Need some help from Cup Car owners/teams

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some help from Cup Car owners/teams

Hey there everyone,

I am sure that you have already seen the post regarding the new Quaife Sequential gearbox option that we are working with Parr-UK and Quaife UK on. One of the big issues for people that I have spoken with is the fact that these gearboxes are not currently allowed in PCA.

Recently, I wrote and received a reply from PCA regarding the current rules. They seemed open to discussing a possible change to allow this gearbox entry into PCA, however they also recommended that I try to put together some teams/car owners, to also make a request to PCA, so that it may lend a bit more weight to their consideration.

With the cost of rebuilding and maintaining these gearboxes what it is currently, it would seem a no brainer to at least allow this option to be used as a alternative. If you own a cup car and would be willing to lend a supporting hand in this endeavor, please get in touch with me so that I can help point you in the right direction for making this request for a rules change to PCA.

I am also working to get ACO Homologation paperwork for this gearbox so that it may also be used without penalty or issue in IMSA, Grand-AM and ALMS. This part of the equation seems to be taking a bit of time, but I am hopeful that we will get this approved by the end of the year.

Thanks for your help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Before I would be interested I would like to know the costs associated with this gearbox and the reliability facts on it. What is the expected lifespan before a rebuild is required? How much will a rebuild cost? Who does the rebuilds? How much is the gearbox to start with? Etc.
If these factors all add up to making sense to pursue this then I would be very interested in getting this allowed for IMSA.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but I'd have to try the thing before I put my name behind it. It sounds like a great deal, but nobody here seems to have any experience with one.

Einsteins car looks awesome in his avatar...
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the point is about necessarily endorsing the Quaife gearbox, as much is it is about supporting the potential of allowance of an aftermarket gearbox in a "stock" class. Doesn't necessarily have to be Quaife.

The issue is the prohibitive cost of rebuilding the gearbox and whether any (performance) advantage would be gained in using an after-market solution. If it's possible to ensure that the gearbox has stock gearing and no performance advantage vs. stock, then I would support this. And I think this would help these cars retain their value.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

I agree that a low cost alternative would be great and, if the ratios are easily measured at the track, then an option utilizing the stock ratios should be allowed.

Erik seems like a good guy trying to sell a good product, but this thread is intended to help his and Quaife's business. He's a site sponsor so it's all good. All I'm suggesting is that Quaife/GBox make a unit or two available to some of the PCA racers to test. Assuming the tests are successful, we then have a more powerful lobby within the club to get something done.

My father and I both have 997 Cups, so I would seriously consider the Quaife as a back up. Or rather, I go to the Quaife, and keep the stock as a back up.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Mklaskin- I can understand where you are coming from on this, truly I can. It really is a catch-22 for us here. I would love to be able to offer a gearbox for testing, but at $18,000 for the 997 version, this would seem to me to be a bit excessive as a marketing expense. People like yourself who would actually be interested in this option want to see some facts supporting the this gearboxes operation, yet we can not seem to get anyone to purchase this option for testing until we get it approved in the various racing series, such as PCA, ALMS, and Grand-AM. In terms of accurate testing of ratios at the track it would be the same as testing the OEM gearbox, so I don't really see a problem there.

The other issue that arises here is who becomes responsible if one of the test units gets damaged? As we all know there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to driving a sequentially shifted gearbox, and mistakes can and do happen. Worst case scenario, I get one of these in for testing, it gets installed and the driver who takes it out on the track decides that he is going to find out how strong or weak the gearbox is and intentionally mistreats the gearbox to find out what will happen. For whatever reason, he breaks the gearbox. Who pays for the repair? I am not sure that I want to put up $18K of the companies money to find out, and I doubt that I would have a job for long if something like this was to actually happen.

These gearboxes have been tested quite successfully in Europe, yet it would certainly be nice to be able to chat a bit with someone here in the US who could accurately relay their experiences with everyone else who might be undecided. I am sure that if we could get this allowed in PCA, we would be able to find someone willing to work with us to bring you all actual results.

Ultimately, I think that if we can get this option accepted by the PCA, it may open the doors for other companies to explore development of additional options. Just a thought.

Thanks for your time, and for your comments.

GT3 Nut - IMSA is another organizing body that we are trying to work with for acceptance of this option as well. They basically follow the guidelines set by the ACO. We are working with Parr-UK on the homologation paperwork for ACO. Once this gets approved then it will indeed be accepted by IMSA, as well. Costs involved are fairly well listed in another rennlist post here in the cup car section, we also have most of the information, minus pricing, on our website.

http://www.gboxweb.com/quaifeseg.html

Thanks everyone for your comments, please keep them coming.

Erik Johnson
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Erik,

You're points are well taken, and you're right. If we had some first hand feedback from one of our peers, it might be an easier sell. Good luck. I'm interested to see how this pans out.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

out of curiosity from a new (996) cup owner (as long as today goes smoothy lol), could this be used in a 996? Because at that price its not too far off a normal rebuild...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Yes there is a version of this gearbox package for the 996 as well. It is a bit more expensive, but comes with quite a few additional parts, that are not needed with the 997. Good luck with your purchase, and thanks for the question.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Quick Reply: Need some help from Cup Car owners/teams