Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Feeler only - True Sequential gearbox option in Low $20K range

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100% with you. I think that if the gear ratio's remain the same, it should not be an issue to use a less expensive option, as the cost of rebuilding a OEM gearbox is prohibitive to say the least.

I will try to explore the option with PCA in more detail and see what I can do, (which is probably not too much, but you never know.) I think it would be a big help, as well, if anyone who would be open to the Quaife option being viable to contact PCA as well. If we can get enough people asking questions on this maybe we will have better results.

Thanks for the post.

Erik Johnson
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Policing is easy. They do it in the stock classes all the time. Believe me, you know when the guy beside you coming out of a corner has re-geared.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
What would the problem be with an alternative gearbox as long as the ratios were stock? (ok, you're saying, how would anyone police that?)
Both PCA Scrut boxes have a gear ratio checker. It is basically an angle gauge that is bolted to the hub, the engine rotated, and then the result looked up in a table to tell you what the ratio is.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Both PCA Scrut boxes have a gear ratio checker. It is basically an angle gauge that is bolted to the hub, the engine rotated, and then the result looked up in a table to tell you what the ratio is.
Perfect! So then what would the problem be in running a non-stock box with stock ratios, that would provide no advantage to stock, other than it's cheaper to repair??
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Lighter reciprocating mass, quicker shifts.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Lighter reciprocating mass, quicker shifts.
says the guy who has not been hit by a rebuild charge yet

For someone who may do IMSA, then I understand wanting to keep the stock gearbox. But once IMSA GT3 cup is not a concern, I think you might change your tune.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Well I have sent a proposal to PCA requesting they review the current rules regulating the use of a OEM transaxle case even though internals are free. Hopefully with enough support from owners and drivers, we can convince PCA that this is not a needed regulation, and could in fact prevent people from moving into this class, due to the extreme costs involved regarding the gearboxes maintenance and overall cost of operation.

We are also working on obtaining ACO Homologation for this option to allow it to run in IMSA, ALMS, and Grand-AM. Hopefully with a bit of patience and a lot of hard work we can wrap this process up by the end of the year if not sooner.

I will keep everyone posted on how things progress.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,
good luck trying to get the approval, If you get it, CUDOS to you. There are other/cheaper ways to rebuild these boxes useing the same parts (factory),different techniques, etc. It just gets really expensive when you let it go way to long and/or you have to do updates, but even then its nowhere near the usual $20-30K bill, I am trying to get the cost of a Major refresh for around the same as the Quaife, incl. dogs 3-6, claws 1-6 and drives.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Bernie930 - I will certainly keep working on it. In a recent email from Donna, she recommended that some of the racing teams also request the modification, so that it hold more weight during consideration. With that in mind I think I will start a new post here and on other boards to see if we can keep this moving in the right direction.

Let me know how things go with parts and such, sounds like you might be onto something there.

Erik Johnson

Quick Reply: Feeler only - True Sequential gearbox option in Low $20K range