Feeler only - True Sequential gearbox option in Low $20K range

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Feeler only - True Sequential gearbox option in Low $20K range

Hey there everyone,

I am hoping that I can get some feedback here from everyone regarding the possibility of offering a direct swap out option to install a Sequential gearbox, in place of a standard H, or current sequential unit, in the Low 20K range?

This gearbox has the same required maintenance that the Porsche gearbox does, which is about every 30 hours, and is reported to shift about twice as fast as the Porsche unit. It is a direct swap out for the current gearbox, and required no adaptor or anything out of the ordinary. It would also include a new flywheel, triple plate clutch, and associated parts for this price, it also includes a LSD.

Is this something that would be well received or am I chasing my tail here?

I appreciate your comments, and will update everyone here if things move forward.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

That's less than some of the rebuild costs on the 997 cup sequentials, so it would almost be a no-brainer if it did not cost you speed or reliability.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

You're talking about the quaife unit correct? I have looked at a few times and it looks cool - just don't know anyone with experience with it...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested in talking more about it.
have a 07 GT3.
feel free to pm me more details
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCA racing I thought requires a Porsche Trans case so the internals can be converted to sequential but I thought a factory Porsche trans case had to be maintained. Is that still true?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

That is a great question Norm, and to be completely honest I don't know the answer to that just yet. I will look into that for you and try to get an answer.

I would like to hold off on getting too detailed just yet, there are still some details to work out before I will even know if this is something that I will be able to offer. I am in preliminary discussions though and will hopefully know more later this week. At that point I will be happy to elaborate in great detail on this.

Thanks for the thoughts and questions, I will get back with more soon.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Norm,

Yes the PCA requires a PORSCHE trans to be legal in the GTC classes.

Eric,
If that is the Quaife unit I've done a lot of homework on that unit and the TQ loading limit is WAY too low for our Porsche applications...unless they have improved it it won't be up to the task...

Keep us posted...!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully agreed with Rick on this, I have done my own research and there is no way I would use the Quaife Gearbox.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a friend of phill Quaife and from what i hear off him and Parr in the uk the boxes are good...!! 12k sterling for one
Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by karlleonard
i am a friend of phill Quaife and from what i hear off him and Parr in the uk the boxes are good...!! 12k sterling for one
Yep, I've talked to Parr about them too. Quaife has tested them running the 24hr Nurburgring race, without issue. Won't work in PCA though, even if you use stock ratios (I've asked Donna!).
Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Default Its official GBox to market the Quaife gearbox option in US.

Hello everyone,

I appreciate your patience with me on this. I wanted to ensure that I had worked things out with Parr-UK adequately before getting into too much detail with regard to this option. GBox is now very happy to be able to offer the US market, working with Parr-UK, the new Quaife GBE61G 6 speed Sequential Gearbox.

The QBE61G gearbox is a direct replacement for the 997 sequential unit, and can also be used in the 996 with the associated installation parts which are included with the gearbox.

In its 997 application, the QBE61G features a larger than standard 85mm shaft capable of applications in excess of 500bhp and 450lb/ft torque. It comes standard with a plate type ramping Porsche Motorsport Limited Slip Differential, completely mechanical sequential shift, lubrication via an internal and integrated oil pump. Simply take your current heat exchanger off of the Porsche unit and bolt it directly to the Quaife. Electronics plug right into this new unit, utilizing the current wire loom, so no issues with internal displays, or the ignition cut-off switch.

The QBE61G achieves a 20 millisecond shift, which is nearly twice as fast as the Porsche gearbox. It is also considerably more quiet in operation than the Porsche.

In the 997, you keep your same clutch, flywheel, and wiring, no modifications are needed. This is truly a plug and play alternative, which is great as you can still keep your current gearbox and utilize it as a spare gearbox.

Servicing of the Quaife will be handled here at GBox, parts availability is quite good, and very cost effective in comparison to the Porsche parts. Normal rebuilding cycle for the Quaife is the same as the Porsche; every 30 hours of use, but parts cost seems to me to be quite a bit less expensive with the normally replaced parts during rebuild at $3,500.00, plus 11 hours of labor. This would include a new ring and pinion, all new bearings thoughout the gearbox, but would not include any new gearing changes.

Cost on this gearbox for the 997 application is $17,500.00 plus shipping. For the 996 application, it is higher as there are more parts for easy installation, but is still quite reasonable at $22,070.00. The 996 is a bit more in depth in terms of its installation, and this kit includes a new clutch, flywheel, shifter, and other associated parts for easy installation, hence the higher cost.

In researching the current Porsche Sequential, I think that this is certainly a very good alternative. We are currently approaching several teams to determine their interest in this option, and would certainly be open to helping anyone that might be interested here on Rennlist. I think given the success that this gearbox has already had in Europe that if we can get a couple of teams to work with us on this, we will be able to provide concise data from US teams on development, utilization, ease of installation, and overall durability in short order. I will certainly keep everyone posted on this.

If you think that you might be interested in this option, please get in touch with me directly. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

I realize that there have been some concerns of torque handling brought up by a couple of members here. As far as I can determine at this time, these are opinions that have been generated based on the general description and tooling of the gearbox, and are not from actual experience with it. To date, as far as I know, there are no teams currently using this gearbox here in the US. Therefore, I am forced to rely on the data given to me by the European teams, which shows very good operation, as well as durability. Again, I look forward however to providing US data as soon as I am able to lock down a good team to make use of this gearbox.

I have to say that I really appreciate the opportunity given to us by Parr-UK, and hope to help as many people here and elsewhere make this new gearbox option as viable as possible here in the US.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or be of any help.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Rules say even GT cars must use a Porsche tranny case. Internals are free.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

The gear box, gear ratios, ring and pinion, limited slip, etc. must remain as stock original Porsche parts to remain in the GTC classes. In GTA classes, you can run what you brung regarding gearbox and trans axle.

We check!

Last edited by Dick Dobson; 04-15-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added note
Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought that all cars had to use porsche engine and tranny cases? Would be nice to try the Quaife in my GTA car as the Porsche sequential trans are just stupid.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I've had this discussion with Donna on the rules committee, but she said I was the only person talking about it. The big achilles heel of the 997 is the gearbox and the prohibitive costs involved in f-ing it up and having to rebuild it. I think this will become an even bigger issue as the cars depreciate and people who wouldn't look at these cars when they were $125k, start to look at them when they're $75k. But then you factor in a $15-20k rebuild for the gearbox (let alone the engine rebuild!) and your math changes dramatically.

We need an alternative to the prices PMNA are charging for gearbox parts. Brian C does a great job in rebuilding, but he's stuck with what the parts cost.

What would the problem be with an alternative gearbox as long as the ratios were stock? (ok, you're saying, how would anyone police that?)

just me ranting!

Quick Reply: Feeler only - True Sequential gearbox option in Low $20K range