Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Are TRG rear toe links desirable / legal for GTC3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Are TRG rear toe links desirable / legal for GTC3?

My rear tie rod ends are both worn and I need to replace them. TRG sells this, the inner half, and the complete toelink. I was thinking of getting a spare complete toe link to have if I ever bend one at the track. Are they GTC3 legal? Desirable?

Thanks!
David
Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
cudjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David:

You may also want to check these out. I know this shop very well and their work is top quality.

Brian

http://www.gocpt.com/products/3/CPT996RearToeLinks.php
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

I ended up getting the stock replacement tie rod ends yesterday. FYI, the complete toelink is now a 997 part and number. It's more expensive, but has a bump steer adjustment. So, I'm assuming it (with bumpsteer) has to be GTC3 legal. The TRG unit is similar to the stock 996 piece. The gocpt unit looks stout, but I wonder if the outer heim end would be legal?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
cudjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David

What was the cost of the stock piece?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts
Default toelink bar

One thing to keep in mind (from experience), that going to a stronger bar means instead of bending the bar in a wheel to wheel incident, the upright breaks off around the tie rod mounting boss. The stock part bends like a pretzel in the middle of the adjusting link.
The other parts you mention are excellent if your goal is quicker adjusting or major changes to toe/camber, but there may be some unintended consequences.
I remember the first time I saw that piece in 2000, our mechanics were so confused about how it worked they took it off the car before discovering there was a fine/course thread that allowed fine adjustment instead of a right/left hand thread part that allowed quick adjustment.
This was standing in pit lane with a new GT3R at the Daytona test with no factory support (they arrived the next day-smart!) and a Michelin engineering screaming his best French/English that we had to reduce the rear camber before taking it on the track.
Ahhh, those were great days...
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

That's a good point about the stock toe link, and yes the coarse/fine thread combo threw us for a loop too! I had to replace a rear upright already, and don't want to have to do that again. From what I could tell, the TRG unit uses the same fine/coarse thread combo, and looks a lot like the stock unit. The new Porsche toe link is now a 997# and apparently has bumpsteer adjustability. So....that must be legal now.

Quick Reply: Are TRG rear toe links desirable / legal for GTC3?