Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

997 cup transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Brian told me he wanted to find a place to discuss the gearboxes and I told him this was the place. I hope he will return and help us all out.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cup sequential issues

The difficult shifts to 5th or 6th are typical of an 08 or 09 trans due to the large
rpm drop 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th.
this is also the cause of the bent main-shafts.
It seems that with a flubbed 4th to 5th shift the pinion shaft recoils to the point were it engages 2nd gear when you are engaging 5th and sometimes 6th gear.
Extra care must be taken to cleanly select 5th and 6th.
Brian BMC&G
e-mail copans@wildblue.net
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
I am delighted that he took the time to post on Rennlist.
And so am I. Even more so that he has chosen to expand on initial comment . There is a vast difference from heresay to expertise--and get expert comment is most helpfull.
I might add-getting expert comment on issues like this is in everyone's interests-including OP as it can save a lot of time and unnecessary questions by giving everyone a better understanding of the specifics.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

just call brian copans and talk to him. he will tell you EVERYTHING there is about the 6 and 7 cup gearboxes. i had several very informative conversations with brian. let's just say if brian didnt rebuild your box, it's probably not very good !
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

Default cup sequential general problems

sequential users
What problems are you having?
Most up-shift problems can be linked to gear Poti. signal, shifter strain gage, or nicked claw collars and gear dogs.
Most down-shift problems are linked to clutch issues. Clutch dissengagement at pedal stop needs to be checked every time the car is run, and after the clutch has been over-heated. As when the car goes off track and is driven back on track in a gear other than first. When the car goes off track in a higher gear and comes to a stop. You sometimes can not downshift back into first and many drivers will slip the cluch and drive out in 4th or 5th gear. This overheats the clutch, changes the bite point and may require some addjustment or service.
Feel free to email me with specific problems or questions. We can help with set-up issues, clutch, shifter poti., ect.
We also now have new high quality replacement cup gears at $800 less than list. The latest spec loose fit claw, wide profile gears are lasting twice as long as 06'-08' gears. Brian
copans@wildblue.net
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90% is users fault 10% the parts quality
some claw collars are not strong enogh.porsche knows this, same with the gears there was a problem with the surface hardness, the thickness of some collars was not right,cup S stock cup gear boxes were not exactly the same etc etc.
these are problems that only the pros knows and not for teh end user. if you are cerafull know what to do and you shift properly then you will not have problems for a whole year maybe two years if you are not doing pro racing.
If you are unlucky and you get soem lower quality parts then you have to fix it.

thats racing

Konstantin
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Konstantin, good to see you here. How many hours are you seeing between each time to take it apart and check everything?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello
it depends on teh driver. It can vary from 2 races to the whole season. normal they last easy 1 season and the you have to check them. If you are realy careful and you know what to do then you can go even 2 years.
Normal is check them every 6 race weekends or one 24 H races (which is about 30 hours with testing qualy night practice etc.

Konstantin
Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to see guys like, Joel, Brian, and Konstantin on one thread sharing information.
Now this is a good thread.

Bill
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Thanks Bill. I don't have any first-hand information on the sequentials... but those guys do. Konstantin is with guys running them all the time, and Brian is always in the eye of the storm.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by por29
Good to see guys like, Joel, Brian, and Konstantin on one thread sharing information.
Now this is a good thread.

Bill
^ + 1
Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Konstantin
hello
it depends on teh driver. It can vary from 2 races to the whole season. normal they last easy 1 season and the you have to check them. If you are realy careful and you know what to do then you can go even 2 years.
Normal is check them every 6 race weekends or one 24 H races (which is about 30 hours with testing qualy night practice etc.

Konstantin
It is true, a skilled driver can increase the life of gear dogs and claws but after 30 hours the pinion bearing is a ticking time bomb. Best to spend a couple thousand to replace the bearing and idenitfy potential problems, than spend twenty thousand or more after pinion bearing failure. Lots of info and evolution of the porsche gearbox at:
www.bmcg-gearbox.com
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

If anyone is interested we are going to put together some repair specials for 997 sequentials and 996-993 club boxes over the winter. Offering savings of around 25% with some gear giva-ways to syncro box customers. I have tons of good used gears, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, we allways try to use a new third. We may have a "buy 3 get one free sale". I will have more details after I get back from Laguna. All 06 and 07 cup boxes will need new diff housings, (the cast housings are breaking) and we will offer a special on that as well. Brian 740-593-8936

Quick Reply: 997 cup transmission