Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Cup Blog

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 11:02 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Default Cup Blog

Please feel free to check out my latest 'Cup' blog at PCA.org. Also, I would appreciate any input and advice on this blog and future topics.

Right now I am planning to blog on shaker rig testing, Cup setup, 997 seqential tranny differences (beyond the obvious), eytc
Old 06-09-2009 | 12:18 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

It looks like people are enjoying the blogs.

Maybe some more info on maintenance would be good. For example, I had my '08 tranny gone over last winter (it was in great shape, just a checkup). After only 3 races now there are metal pieces on the drain plug so it has to go back to Copans, maybe needs dog rings

Also info about brakes as they are one of the biggest expenses. We can now use any rotor, I am thinking of trying some aftermarket slotted rotors.

thanks!
Old 06-09-2009 | 02:56 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Thanks Mike!

On the tranny I will tell you that there have been a number of part failures on the 08 trannies. I never once had an issue with my 06 but my 08 has had two failures and just about everyone I know with an 08 has had issues with it. (That little tidbit I can't blog about, though)

Also, ask Copans to examine your gearbox for the main shaft twisting issue that plagued so many of the 08 trannies - he will know what you are talking about.
Old 06-10-2009 | 07:43 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
Thanks Mike!

On the tranny I will tell you that there have been a number of part failures on the 08 trannies. I never once had an issue with my 06 but my 08 has had two failures and just about everyone I know with an 08 has had issues with it. (That little tidbit I can't blog about, though)

Also, ask Copans to examine your gearbox for the main shaft twisting issue that plagued so many of the 08 trannies - he will know what you are talking about.
Hi Pat, I am enjoying your blog's. Looking forward to the shaker rig testing.

It's funny you mention tranny issues. We are putting our 08 tranny back together now after a failure at the Glen. 3rd gear broke off a few teeth. Fortunately the broken parts didn't do any more damage. What failures have you had with your box? I am just curious so I can be on the look out for particular things when rebuilding the sequentials.
Old 06-10-2009 | 07:51 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
It looks like people are enjoying the blogs.

After only 3 races now there are metal pieces on the drain plug so it has to go back to Copans, maybe needs dog rings

It depends on how big the metal pieces are. Small shavings are pretty normal. Big chunks or obvious pieces of broken parts of course are not
Old 06-10-2009 | 10:15 AM
Glen
Race Car

11000 kms and still going, gotta overblip on the downs, no downs til clutch is in. Just lucky I guesss?
Old 06-10-2009 | 10:41 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Please feel free to check out my latest 'Cup' blog at PCA.org. Also, I would appreciate any input and advice on this blog and future topics.

Right now I am planning to blog on shaker rig testing, Cup setup, 997 seqential tranny differences (beyond the obvious), eytc
Great idea. Keep it up!
Old 06-10-2009 | 12:16 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Glen - You have an 06/07 gearbox. They are not prone to problems and are pretty stout. Just look at your own experience - given how you abuse the gearbox regularly and it is still running well!

As for the known issues - I am aware only of the main shaft twisting between 5th and 6th. This was an issue worldwide and has been addressed in the 09 box. Copans is the one to talk to about it since he completely understands what is happening and why. (My understanding is that even Porsche had a difficult time addressing the issue - I heard that in New Zealand at the first even last year 16 cars had the problem of the 24 that showed.)
Old 06-11-2009 | 09:58 AM
Glen
Race Car

Glen - You have an 06/07 gearbox. They are not prone to problems and are pretty stout. Just look at your own experience - given how you abuse the gearbox regularly and it is still running well!

As for the known issues - I am aware only of the main shaft twisting between 5th and 6th. This was an issue worldwide and has been addressed in the 09 box. Copans is the one to talk to about it since he completely understands what is happening and why. (My understanding is that even Porsche had a difficult time addressing the issue - I heard that in New Zealand at the first even last year 16 cars had the problem of the 24 that showed.)
Pat, U so mean Bro...but You hurt Your early box now didnt You...I know, not fair. Of course I still have the same halfshafts, wheelbearings, tie rods, control arms etc...car has been a tank.

Love the blog, keep up the good work!
Old 06-11-2009 | 10:50 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pat,
Do you know why they changed to what looks like a cheaper rotor of 09? Performance? Cost savings? Should we be switching?

Great blog. I think the furture topics are dead on.
Jim
Old 06-11-2009 | 11:38 AM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Glen-My hurt box was the 08 with the twisted shaft. My 06 never had an issue. I think the reason you never have replaced your rotors, pads, etc is that you are driving the car like "Miss Daisy!"

Jim-I don't know which rotor is better between the 08 and 09. We should ask Alex about this.
Old 06-11-2009 | 01:07 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glen-My hurt box was the 08 with the twisted shaft. My 06 never had an issue. I think the reason you never have replaced your rotors, pads, etc is that you are driving the car like "Miss Daisy!"

Jim-I don't know which rotor is better between the 08 and 09. We should ask Alex about this.
Pat's sounding a little cocky Glen. I'm thinking you should join us at VIR and cool his jets a bit!
Old 06-11-2009 | 03:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Come on Glen, I double dog dare you!!!
Old 06-11-2009 | 05:11 PM
Glen
Race Car

Would love to, I'm just scared....
Old 06-11-2009 | 05:24 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

On another note...where can I find some good videos of VIR? I've only seen Cory Friedman's from last year's PCA race, which sure looks good, but that's all I've found.

Quick Reply: Cup Blog