Sponsored by:

Racing Rules Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
wickerbill
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Rules Clarification

Hi......I'm wanting to run a 996 Cup in the SCCA GT2 Midwest. The SCCA identifies "Cup Rules" in the GCR as to how the car must be prepared. Problem is, they dont say which "Cup Rules". Its been suggested by one of the stewards that they are "IMSA Cup" rules....but does not have anything definative.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe SCCA does strictly adhere to IMSA rules.With respect to 996 Cups, it means as delivered from the factory without modifications. The verbage is to address the 996 Grand Am Cups which had 9 seperate modifications IIRC....
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
RPM
Track Day

Here is what the SCCA GCR says.

Cars must be prepared to Porsche Cup Specifications except that cars must meet all SCCA safety
standards unless otherwise noted. Competitors must have a current copy of the Porsche Cup
rules in their possession. An alternate hood is allowed provided it is a facsimile of the stock part.
Original, factory-installed Matter/IMV roll cage allowed. Any wheel, including 5-bolt, may be used
provided it does not exceed 18x9 (F) and 18x11 (R). Battery size and location is unrestricted.
Shocks are unrestricted but they shall be installed in the stock location using the stock pick-up
points. Side window glass must be removed and windshield clips must be installed per GCR section
9.3.52. The stock unmodified fuel tank is allowed.

I have never heard of the scrutineers asking for the document. I imagine you could show them almost anything. The IMSA rules should work and here is another link.

http://www.porsche.com/international...rt/sportrules/
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM
Here is what the SCCA GCR says.

Cars must be prepared to Porsche Cup Specifications except that cars must meet all SCCA safety
standards unless otherwise noted. Competitors must have a current copy of the Porsche Cup
rules in their possession. An alternate hood is allowed provided it is a facsimile of the stock part.
Original, factory-installed Matter/IMV roll cage allowed. Any wheel, including 5-bolt, may be used
provided it does not exceed 18x9 (F) and 18x11 (R). Battery size and location is unrestricted.
Shocks are unrestricted but they shall be installed in the stock location using the stock pick-up
points. Side window glass must be removed and windshield clips must be installed per GCR section
9.3.52. The stock unmodified fuel tank is allowed.

I have never heard of the scrutineers asking for the document. I imagine you could show them almost anything. The IMSA rules should work and here is another link.

http://www.porsche.com/international...rt/sportrules/

Those rules were valid in Europe apparently, but they are not valid per IMSA specs.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
wickerbill
Rennlist Member

You'd think it would say Porsche Cup Rules per IMSA fer gods sake....but it doesnt. The SCCA guys I've talked to give a blank stare. Maybe I get this figured out before the ice melts on Lake Michgan!!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
RPM
Track Day

Why not try to use the Pirelli Drivers Cup rules? I could not find any IMSA archives on line with rules prior to 2005.

I suspect that the document would look somthing like this:

http://www.cams.com.au/bulletins/B04...egulations.pdf See page 17-21.

If someone can find the source document, either from the FIA or Porsche Motorsports, please post a link.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

window clips are a pain...
Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

When I was racing GT2 I thought they meant PCA rules, but now I think they mean SUPERCUP rules. You would have to use the old supercup rules from '04 (pre 997). I think they should remove that line and just specify "as delivered, no mods except... (shocks, safety stuff)".

Quick Reply: Racing Rules Clarification