Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 2009 cup vs used

I have been thinking a while about getting a 997 cup

I just received a PMNA email they have new 2009s for $150K plus +$12K spares package.

At that price it does not look like it makes sense to buy used because a used one woul have to be much less to make it worthwhile.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Norm,
Do they say what's in the spares package? If it includes a couple of sets of wheels and you don't intend to do IMSA (fuel cell) you could have a track ready car for less than I paid for mine last year with 15 hours. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Have you driven one yet?
Jim
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim,

No I have not driven one and I have not found one to rent.

I will check what is in the spares pkg...

I would want a fuel cell I think...

Norm
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel cell and suspension and set up...that's it. I went through the same math. But then figured out that I would be better off in a 996 Cup first, coming from a DE GT3...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Norm, I think you will want to drive a 997 Cup first before purchasing one. It still feels like a street car in some respects due to the rubber bushings. It may or may not suit your driving style. I still think you'd be happy in an RS or RSR.

I've seen some 997 Cups in the 130s, but they are older ones, and I think you'll want an 08 or later with the more powerful engine. Those have been close or above the 150k new from Porsche. Knowing you, you'll want a new one.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoldrich

I just received a PMNA email they have new 2009s for $150K plus +$12K spares package.

At that price it does not look like it makes sense to buy used because a used one woul have to be much less to make it worthwhile.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Norm
There is the Air Freight also to add in. All said and done it is about $178K. The $12k Spares package includes 1 set of wheels and some other misc. stuff.
If you are interested in a used one in the 135k range I may sell mine. It has 2 way Moton Motorsports and a fuel cell. It is a 2006.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 91 Posts

I also know of an 08 with I think about 30 hours for about $165K. It is an IMSA car - D. Carlisle is selling it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Norm
Figure cost of car, plus spares package, plus import duty (2% +/-), broker fees ($1K), air freight ($15K to CA) and you may have to add sales tax for your state., so as noted in the $178k-$185K in your driveway. Then add fuel cell ($18K for premier, $12k for fuel safe), add shocks ($4k - $8K), motec dash upgrades ($2k), various motec sensors ($4k-$5k), video, radio, cool suit and wala you are at about $210k to $220k. But you get the latest and greatest and you know the exact history.

You can find some nice used ones and the better cars will be in the $175k - $185k range unless you find a fire sale (most of the nice ones seem not to go as fire sales though), so you can save a bunch of money, but you end up with an older car. So if you have the money buy new, if not be a shark and you can find a nice car for a fair price.

I personally have inspected a number of cars in Calif. that are for sale in all price ranges and found many of those cars to be very rough - in fact in some cases suprisingly so for such few hours. The cars I have seen in the $135k range are pretty beat and in some cases do not have the original motor or tranny etc.. There is nothing wrong with those cars most likely, they are just not as nice, but they may well be just as fast and they do offer a lot less depreciation!

Good luck and I would recommend a 997 Cup but as these photos can attest, there is nothing better than getting a brand new car!

JCM
Attached Images       
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if the issue was a new '09 Cup or a clean 996 RSR?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim,

No I have not driven one and I have not found one to rent.

I will check what is in the spares pkg...

I would want a fuel cell I think...

Norm
Norm,
You'd love the 997. I don't think you'd be satisfied with a 996 after driving your car.

You could take the 997 right off the boat and have a blast with it or, as others have noted, you can dump a bunch of money trying to make it even better.

Are you going to Road Atlanta? If so, come and hang out with us. We can kick around the pro's and con's.
Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim, wish I was going - too busy with business. Will you be at MidOh? I will be running VIR & Mosport, and MIdOh with PCA as well as a good number of NASA events.

Geoffrey, I like the looks of the 996 RSR however I talked with several teams in Europe that ran R's, RS's, and RSR's for years as well as people that personally owned them and the maint is ridiculous once I was given the real numbers.

I even talked with a good friend that owns one and is selling it cheap.

My understanding from talking with PMNA is that the car they are offering me is new and already in the states so I do not have to pay any duties; but I do have to cover shipping.

So A brand new one for $150K + 12K + 12K shippping - delivered $174K.

There is a brand new 2007 never used being sold for $160K; but there is no point for a 15K or even a 30K difference not to go with brand new.

However, if there was a way to rent one I could see if I truly would like it.

It is between this and and a new Trans-AM GT1 car - which I have owned before and are awesome.

Thanks,
Norm
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Norm, the 07 does not have the 08/09 upgrades and you will want them. Car for car, the 08/09 is a faster car than the earlier ones.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 02-13-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Norm, You can come down and drive mine for a session or two, just PM me.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glen,

Thanks so much for the offer, that is very nice of you and much appreciated.

I will let you know....

Thanks,
Norm
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim, wish I was going - too busy with business. Will you be at MidOh? I will be running VIR & Mosport, and MIdOh with PCA as well as a good number of NASA events.

Geoffrey, I like the looks of the 996 RSR however I talked with several teams in Europe that ran R's, RS's, and RSR's for years as well as people that personally owned them and the maint is ridiculous once I was given the real numbers.

I even talked with a good friend that owns one and is selling it cheap.

My understanding from talking with PMNA is that the car they are offering me is new and already in the states so I do not have to pay any duties; but I do have to cover shipping.

So A brand new one for $150K + 12K + 12K shippping - delivered $174K.

There is a brand new 2007 never used being sold for $160K; but there is no point for a 15K or even a 30K difference not to go with brand new.

However, if there was a way to rent one I could see if I truly would like it.

It is between this and and a new Trans-AM GT1 car - which I have owned before and are awesome.

Thanks,
Norm
We're planning on Road Atlanta, WG, VIR, Mosport and Road America so we'll see you somewhere along the road.
Jim

Quick Reply: New 2009 cup vs used