Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Macki
was that for me?

If so:
i dont think i need to do MORE blipping. Instead, i need to do less.
i tend to rev it to high, prior to release the clutch.
so the car some times wants to accelerate on clutch release.
im used to a 993 cup. with the 993 you need to give a much longe blip, because the engine does not rev up as quick as the 997 does
Yes in your video, it seems you are shifting to a lower gear BEFORE blipping. That's causing grinding and can break your transmission. Maybe you are blipping, but it's too late, after the damage is done.

This video shows EXACTLY how NOT to shift.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by analogmike
Yes in your video, it seems you are shifting to a lower gear BEFORE blipping. That's causing grinding and can break your transmission. Maybe you are blipping, but it's too late, after the damage is done.

wow dude. could be one of the wildest videos of the year!
thats why g-d made spec boxsters. dude needs some serious time in something other than that car. could be a great drier, but that car is way too much for him. there is value in stepping up to a car like a cup car to improve your game, to push the limits...but thats really scarey.
plus, i dont think his recaro is bolted down right,even more scarey.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spg993tt
wow dude. could be one of the wildest videos of the year!
thats why g-d made spec boxsters. dude needs some serious time in something other than that car. could be a great drier, but that car is way too much for him. there is value in stepping up to a car like a cup car to improve your game, to push the limits...but thats really scarey.
plus, i dont think his recaro is bolted down right,even more scarey.
i had to stop watching that video. total train wreck.
but i fast forwarded and saw his spin in 17.
was there anythign else worth watching after that?
all i could see was each downshift with 100 dollar bills flying out the rear of the car.... Brian coppan loves videos like that

then again, it is a tough machine. but to be that far off in the middle of a huge field of fast cars? wrong.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Macki
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey mike.

thanks for your tips! i need them, since i haven´t driven a 997 before(video is the first drive ever)
but:
i watched your video, and im doing the exact opposite of what he is doing!
he is letting the revs rise with the clutch, so the clutch needs to rev up the engine.

ssometimes i did give too much throttle while down shifting. so the clutch needed to LOWER the revs of the engine, in order to match the transmission-rpm.

you can take a look at my right leg/at my legs in my video. you can see that i change to a lower gear AND blip at the same time. prior to release the clutch.

almost(well, not that perfectly timed) as an auto-blipper would do.

but, yet again, i gave too much throttle. so the revs went to high. need to practice to dont hit the throttle too hard while braking.

hope you can understand what im trying to say. because english isnt my first language
hope to get an answer if im doing it right
Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Macki
Track Day

i just read your post in the "how to shift" thread

from a technical point of view, (well, i think) it does not matter, if you blip BEFORE moving the gearlever, or afterwards.
because in that moment, the gearbox is disconnected from the engine. so blipping wont have any influence on the gearbox itselfe. BUT the blipping will have the influence when releasing the clutch.
so the enginerpm and gearboxrpms are perfectly(or as close as it gets..) matched.
so there is no stress on either side.
am i correct?

someone please tell me, if im talking bollocks

its the same thing with driving a h-pattern gearbox. i blip in all my cars, just because i hate the "extra braking" of the rear axle while braking infront of a corner.its just loosing up the stability of the rear.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Macki,
That's a nice car you've got and completely understandable that things don't go 100% perfect on the first ride. How did you enjoy it compared to the 993?

When I look at downshifts on the Mk.I the rev light lightens up and on the Mk.II it can be seen more clearly with the rev dash. So I don't thing you really need to lower your revs when down shifting. Though I wonder how long your clutch is pressed and if perhaps you're letting it go to late?

It's a bit hard to make an opinion on video actually, but you probably get my point.

Viel Spas!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

i just read your post in the "how to shift" thread

from a technical point of view, (well, i think) it does not matter, if you blip BEFORE moving the gearlever, or afterwards.
because in that moment, the gearbox is disconnected from the engine. so blipping wont have any influence on the gearbox itself. BUT the blipping will have the influence when releasing the clutch.
so the enginerpm and gearboxrpms are perfectly(or as close as it gets..) matched.
so there is no stress on either side.
am i correct?

someone please tell me, if im talking bollocks

its the same thing with driving a h-pattern gearbox. i blip in all my cars, just because i hate the "extra braking" of the rear axle while braking infront of a corner.its just loosing up the stability of the rear.
I understand what you are saying, it makes sense. My posts were not about matching revs to keep the car smooth when you release the clutch, but there are other posts about that. I am more concerned about matching revs to preserve my transmi$$ion DURING the downshift.

I think it does matter when you blip... it seems to me that the downshift grinds much less if you match the revs by blipping before or during the time that you push the shifter forward. The "how not to shift" video shows that- with no blip there is a big grind when you push the shift lever forward. It doesn't matter what happens after that, the grind already occurred.

Maybe someone more technical can tell us why the sequential box downshifts better when revs are more closely matched to the lower gear.

p.s. I watched your video again and I think the audio is not quite in sync, it's a little later. I can tell during the upshifts. Maybe that is why it seems you are blipping too late.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Nice movie! would love to drive there once.. awsome track

funny thing. also had a first drive a week ago

heres my vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZpc2PJaoM8

also had some problems with the gearbox, but only on downshifting. Damn you have to hit that thing hard

also a 07 car by the way. but as you can see. i didnt had that much fun driving it...
Ah Hockenheim - was just visiting there last week!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Eifeler
Pro

was there anythign else worth watching after that?
Ending was inevitable. Surprised he didn't leave part of the gearbox or block in the safety pin before that.

Cryin shame. Feel bad for whomever buys the car after this guy is done trashing it.

Last edited by Eifeler; 09-03-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

what do you think failed at the end there? motor or the trans.
that guy should write two fat checks, one for his own car, and the poor dude he collected.
car just gave up.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

what do you think failed at the end there? motor or the trans.
that guy should write two fat checks, one for his own car, and the poor dude he collected.
car just gave up.
I don't know - didn't seem like there was a failure there, other than driver error and lifting mid-corner and the back end got light and spun. But, I don't know. I don't drive a sequential, but I don't think that driver blipped the throttle once on the downshifts. Every time he downshifted I kept thinking $500, $500, $500, $500....until he reaches the full $15k on a rebuild!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

agree he was clueless on driving, but if you watch at the 9:00 mark or right about there as he swoops thru t15? t16? where he spins, you can hear the engine or tranny lock up, sound like he lost power, like the engine seized, or tranny popped, locks the wheels and he loses it.

id be livid if i ran into that guy and later watched that video.
id like to know what race shop puts that guy in a 997 cup in the middle of a 50 car sebring pca event. insanitybythe driver, insanity by the race team.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Macki
Track Day

Originally Posted by Rassel
Macki,
That's a nice car you've got and completely understandable that things don't go 100% perfect on the first ride. How did you enjoy it compared to the 993?

When I look at downshifts on the Mk.I the rev light lightens up and on the Mk.II it can be seen more clearly with the rev dash. So I don't thing you really need to lower your revs when down shifting. Though I wonder how long your clutch is pressed and if perhaps you're letting it go to late?

It's a bit hard to make an opinion on video actually, but you probably get my point.

Viel Spas!
Hi Rassel.
Thanks for you reply.
well, the 993 drives just perfectly. i love it. because it only has 315hp, its feels more like a small, light sporty car. you can throw it around the corners. it slides with all 4 wheels, just makes a lot of fun. no problem with getting on the gas very early in 2. gear and so on. but the setup is just perfect for me. that also took quite a few trackdays and races, to get it just as i want it to drive.
the 997 feels more like a real "GT race car" despite its also only a "tuned" road car. like the 993
i got short video of me driving the 993 cup

you may want to fast forward to ~2:50. the view changes to pedal view.
you can not exactly see my right foot blipping the throttle. but you can see the pedal moving while downshifting.
thats the same speed i downshift on the 997.

but your right. its hard to see it from the videos.
its also true, that the sound is not matching the video. i didnt see that before i put it up on youtube. but you can see my feet moving/bliping/pressing clutch while downshift.
i usually press the clutch, blip and move the gearlever at the same time, and instantly release the clutch. same in the 997.

but because of mikes tip. i will try to blip before shifting down. or to delay the downshift after the blip

I understand what you are saying, it makes sense. My posts were not about matching revs to keep the car smooth when you release the clutch, but there are other posts about that. I am more concerned about matching revs to preserve my transmi$$ion DURING the downshift.

I think it does matter when you blip... it seems to me that the downshift grinds much less if you match the revs by blipping before or during the time that you push the shifter forward. The "how not to shift" video shows that- with no blip there is a big grind when you push the shift lever forward. It doesn't matter what happens after that, the grind already occurred.

Maybe someone more technical can tell us why the sequential box downshifts better when revs are more closely matched to the lower gear.

p.s. I watched your video again and I think the audio is not quite in sync, it's a little later. I can tell during the upshifts. Maybe that is why it seems you are blipping too late.
i will definitely try out your suggestion on the next trip!
i also dont think the gearbox realy "grinded" while shifting. it made more of a "clonk" or "clank" or whateveryouwanttocallit-sound
but you are right. i cant really watch that video. it hurts to watch it
but again, i really do not shift as he does. i blip, not really perfect, but as good as i can for a "first 35 minutes" drive. need to practies more with that car

but next trackday our 996 cup will be tested. also got that a few weeks ago. cant wait. should also be a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Ah Hockenheim - was just visiting there last week!
hehe
were you present at the pistenclub trackday? on 19. august?
its a good track. its quite "easy" to drive. but if you want to be fast or really fast, you have to drive very good, and use all the track. it takes skill to drill down the last seconds of your laptimes...
also, because its an F1 track, its "quite safe". so we use it to test all new cars we get. you can try the limit of the car in some corners, without or with a very low risk of damaging the car.
cant compare it to the nordschleife...
also, its just half an hour away from home. so an easy drive. even if somethings broken on the car. you can get spareparts very fast.

thanks guys

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Cup - Fuji Shakedown